Load of Carp

First Name
Mike
This the Mirage 1/48 PZL-23 Karas (Carp), another older build that I hope you don't mind me posting. It's a real dichotomy of a kit. On the one hand it's brimming with detail (everything you see in the cockpit for instance is out-of-the-box the box); on the other, it's as if the wings and fuselage parts were designed and tooled by two completely different companies working in isolation, such was the disparity in finish and quality. At the end of the day though it all went together (with a little work).

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another simply fabulous build!

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Superb build mike, all the more impressive as it was a dog of a kit! The interior detail looks amazing ,top work. The idea that the wings and fuselage were done by 2 separate people reminds me of the old Airfix 1/48 f3 tornado . That one had a horizontally split fuselage with one half having raised panel lines and the other recessed !!!!! Needless to say , this combined with atrocious fit and poor detail , led me to offload it on E-bay !! cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice and an unusual subject, well new to me anyway.

A

andyrobs

Stunning, simply stunning, especially the interior detailing

Cheers, Andrew

A

AlasdairGF

Gorgeous! Who fires the ventral machine gun? Can't get my head round how all the bodies fit in this thing!!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thats a little jem is that! A very unusual aeroplane.

That cockpit is stuffed to the brim with detail. You cant see that there were 'issues' with the wings.

Great stuff.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Eye popping detailing, another beautiful model. Excellent workmanship, love it.

Si:smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Stunning build Mike

First Name
Mike
Thanks so much for the kind comments guys, glad you like it. :smiling3:

\ said:
Gorgeous! Who fires the ventral machine gun? Can't get my head round how all the bodies fit in this thing!!!
Cheers Alasdair, the ventral gunner lay in the little cupola on the underside (claustrophobics need not apply):

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Another fantastic job on another esoteric subject !

Why would they call it a 'carp' ? Don't the Poles eat them at this time of year? I think we got it right with Spitfires and Fulmars, Typhoons and Tempests......errr....not so sure about Manchester.

As for the ventral gun position, I'd rather be a submariner :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

A

AlasdairGF

\ said:
Cheers Alasdair, the ventral gunner lay in the little cupola on the underside (claustrophobics need not apply):
That would feel quite seriously exposed! Just checked the wiki entry on the Karaś (which I guess I could have done earlier!) and it says the ventral gondola is the bombadier's combat station. So would the bomb aiming have been done from here as well? I suspect the bombadiers would have to have been miniature-sized contortionists if so to be able to turn around from forward-facing aiming position to use the rear gun...