Lt. Theo Nibel's Fw 190 D-9, 'Black 12'.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
We’re back at Furstenau airfield on the morning of 1st January 1945 again. We were here a while back for this build.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/fw-190-d-9-hasegawa-1-32.19561/#post-171642

Furstenau really was an airfield. There were no significant or permanent structures and the aircraft were dispersed in the woods around the field.

The subject this time is another Fw 190 D-9, W.Nr.210079, ‘Black 12’ flown by Lt. Theo Nibel of 10./JG 54.

The kit is the Hasegawa 1/32 Dora offering. It's a good kit (though the gun cowl leaves something to be desired) and very simple in this large scale.

Nibel had joined his unit on 16th September 1944 and Bodenplatte would be his third and last combat mission. Here he is in his No.1 uniform, or whatever the Luftwaffe called it :smiling3:

It was a cold morning and frozen flaps delayed Nibel’s take off. I have him preparing to board his repaired aircraft, the flaps are down fifteen degrees, ready for take off.

A quick imaginary walkaround.

A close up and an aerial shot (just for Ian M as I know he likes to see the camouflage :smiling3: )

The optional history bit!

Nibel and the rest of III./JG 54 set of this morning to attack the allied airfield at Grimbergen. Luftwaffe intelligence was not good. The Fw190s arrived to find only four B-17s, one P-51 and an unidentified (by them) twin engine aircraft. They also saw a large white cross on the field indicating that it was not being used. Nonetheless they set about attacking what they could.

Nibel saw and attacked the twin engine aircraft. Immediately afterwards he saw a light AA position which he also attacked. As he pulled up his engine stopped. Nibel instinctively released his drop tank and, being too low to abandon the aircraft by parachute, looked for a place to land. That place was one of two ploughed fields that lay ahead of him. He made a decent belly landing. Accounts vary as to what happened next. Some say that he was released by Belgian civilians, others that he got out by himself and attempted to destroy his largely intact aircraft with a couple of flares. Either way the aircraft was not destroyed and became the first intact D-9 to be captured by the allies. Nibel was taken initially to Wemmel police station in the village near which he had landed and later to Evere airfield. He spent what was left of the war as a PoW.

His aircraft was much examined by the allies. It was established that Nibel had not been shot down but was the victim of a bird strike. A Partridge was identified as the culprit, having punctured the annular coolant radiator of the Jumo 213. The Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report (CEAR) remarks that the unfortunate bird had made a hole “several inches in diameter” in the even more unfortunate Nibel’s radiator.

The aircraft was photographed in situ and, as was usual, the CEAR was made. It was from this report that the slightly unusual, mismatched, camouflage scheme originates. The aircraft was eventually transported to Farnborough. It took part in a couple of captured enemy aircraft shows, though in a rather dilapidated state, before being scrapped.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dubster72

That's a gorgeous Dora Steve! Really well done & the background history brings it to life. Love it!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is very nice indeed Steve and thanks for the birds eyes... :smiling:

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Combining the model with story really brings to life this outstanding piece of model-working. Top work Steve.

Si:smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful Dora Steve. The markings look spot on. Like the background read too. You know what you're talking about and your love of the subject matter shows in your builds.

Great stuff

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for being so nice everyone :smiling3:

I do like the history that goes with the models. I became interested in the history, as an adult, which is what got me back into model building after my rather unsuccessful juvenile efforts !

I'm contemplating a U.S aircraft next, a F4U 'Corsair'. No history with that as you could write everything I know about the type on the back of a stamp :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
simply beautiful work steve and a thoroughly well researched subject. The figures look excellent , the one of Nibel in particular having a real sense of movement ,with the parachute straps hanging as he fastens them - brilliant! Great build ,no mistake. cheers tony

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
lov it Steve, great build, real like the camo, and even the figures have turned out well, :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Beautiful aircraft, great presentation and a most enjoyable read..

Thank you Steve.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great build Steve, nice to be back at Furstenau again :smiling3: Nicely presented model, nice photographs, and a very interesting historical background. Also your figures have come out well, I like the idea of the crew chief doing some final checks as the pilots does his walk around. Top stuff.

B

BigZimmo

It's a great build, Steve. A stunning "Dora" and an interesting lesson in history. Absolutely well done, mate!!!

This year I'll start up with my own "Dora-Project" in 1/32 scale. It's the complete "Sachsenbergschwarm" of JV44.

But now my wife and I enjoying holidays on Mallorca. But even here you can find a shop for

plastic modelling...... ;) ;) ;)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
This year I'll start up with my own "Dora-Project" in 1/32 scale. It's the complete "Sachsenbergschwarm" of JV44. ..... ;) ;) ;)
Wow! You will need to make the most of your holiday as you will be a busy fellow! According to the Bastandes Meldung document dated 26 April 1945 there were FIVE Fw 190 D-9/D11 machines on strength with JV 44, four of which were serviceable.

Fw 190 D-9 W.Nr 600424, "Red 1".

Principal aircraft of Lt. Sachsenberg. It was very professionaly marked with what I'm sure you will recognise as an old Bavarian saying "Verkaaft's mei Gwand 'I foahr in himmel!" (Roughly "Sell my clothes I'm going to heaven").

Fw 190 D-11 W.Nr. 220???, "Red 2".

Pilot not known. Slogan unknown. Evidence for this aircraft only emerged in 2007 with analysis of photographs taken at Bad Aibling. Crucially it carries B3 black and white fuselage crosses, not the factory applied B4 black outline crosses. This was an adaptation known to have been made by JV 44 to increase the visibility of the Balkenkreuz as an aid to identification.

Fw 190 D-9 W.Nr. 600?69, "Red 3".

Aircraft flown by Hptm. Wubke. Again a neatly applied slogan "Im Auftrage der Reichsbahn". ("By order of the State Railway"). Wubke had invented this slogan when ordered to fly Jabo missions with 9./JG 54 in his Bf 109 E during the Battle of Britain. He felt bombing was not for fighter pilots.

Fw 190 D-11 W.Nr. 220???, "Red 4".

Possibly flown by Lt. Hofmann. This aircraft had previously served with the Verbandfuhrerschule G.d.J. at Bad Worifshofen marked white < 58. Slogan was "Der nachste Herr Dieselbe Dame!" ("The next Man the same Woman") which is probably best left unexplained :smiling3:

Fw 190 D-9/R11 W.Nr. 210240, "Red 13"

Aircraft flown by Oblt. Faber. It was Faber's request that the kenziffer 13 be used rather than the more logical, sequential, 5. Slogan was "Rein Muss er" und wenn wir beide weinen!" (Not easy to translate but something like "In he goes even though both of us will cry". Again, make of that what you will :smiling3:

I've built Red 1 and Red 13 over the years but I admire you for taking on the whole lot.

Cheers

Steve

S

spongtastic

Amazing finish, another example to show the other half why I need an AB!