M3 Stuart Honey ~ Academy 1/35

D

David MAdsen

Here is a build I've started, so far this is what I have.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
hello there.that kit looks quality is it all in or have you brought after market items..?? and like what you've done so far what with the red for the base colour..? looking forward to seein the rest

geegad

D

David MAdsen

The PE parts are aftermarket from Eduard. The red is just a primer from paint I wanted to get rid of, I will be painting the base color of white for the interior which will probably need a few coats. ;)

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Tell me about it White is a right git to use.never made built one one of these tanks looking forward to seein it

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like a nice kit. Been thinking about getting one. I will keep an eye on your build before I decide.

That pink is going to take a lot of paint to get that white!

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Certainly does look a nice kit, with the etch this should build into something special.

Looking forward to it :emo12:

Cheers Paul

D

David MAdsen

Progress has been slow, busy weekend helping my mother with the garden for her Mother's day gift. I managed to paint my wheel parts dark yellow for it desert theme with the salt chip method. However the salt didn't really do quite a great job and found just lightly scratching the surface with a exacto knife gave a more gratifying chipping effect. I just wanted to show a few of the pieces I did, I haven't had time to do the whole set. Next I should have the wheel assembly completed.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looking good top weathering affect

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Nice looking model and a lot of metal well, PE anyway. Salt chip method looks great, i think we need a El Alamein GB sometime lol.

Have fun, John

D

David MAdsen

Thanks all for the comments! Finished the main wheel assemblies and painted the interior, next for the upper hull.

N

noble

This is looking really good so far, i like the weathering on the wheels very nice.

scott

D

David MAdsen

Thanks! Work on the upper chassis is complete, I've decided to abandon the PE parts, it just postponed the project further and my enthusiasm for building it. Things are rolling along now!

D

David MAdsen

Things have stopped rolling, slow progress. I little work in the turret, completed the cute little 37mm pea shooter ;) Also postshaded the interior.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looking real nice the interior is coming along resl well are figures going intoning tank????Keep up the good workJohn

B

Bill's Bunker

That's a Honey!

Hi David,

Like this, looking very good, have you finished it? Can we see the result?

Please tell me a bit more about the salt chipped paint method! I think I know how it works, but never tried it and we should all try something at least once!! What about the base colour metallic or grey?

The interior detail is very good and you've done a good job with painting and weathering it.

Regards

Mel.

D

David MAdsen

John, I won't probably do figures. I've had problems painting figure heads, the brush strokes tend to appear and it just doesn't look good. Not sure how to make them look good so I just skip figures.

Mel, these are in-progress shots so what I have up is what's done so far. The salt chip method starts with a base coat, in this case olive drab. After letting it cure I dab water in spots I want the chipping to be. Then I sprinkle salt down and shake the piece off so the excess fall off. I then painted the desert color over. After curing I then knocked the salt off to reveal the olive drab. This methods gives the true look of chipping with the olive drab under the yellow. I don't like the method of just painting in the chips because the paint that is suppose to be under is on top. Word of warning, this was the first time doing this method and the salt tend to really stick after I painted the yellow. I had to use an exacto knife to get the salt off. I ended up using the knife to scarify the surface but many times I scratched too far and exposed the bare plastic. It's really messy too and was just a hassle. If anyone knows if I am doing anything wrong with this method do chime in. Hope that helps.

D

David MAdsen

It's getting done :smiling3: Added pigments to the interior and primed the other outer parts.

D

David MAdsen

The interior is done! I used Mig Dry Mud for the dust layer. Coated with a primer and soon ready for an OD paint job.