Macchi M.E. 72 AMP kit

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I had a good mate who loved the Lancia’s great looking very responsive just never expect to get where your going
My Uncle had a Lancia Beta - it was one of those that Lancia bought back, he said it started rusting, as soon as he drove it off the forecourt. I had a chance to see some Italian engineering, I looked at a new Ducati Desmo in a showroom ( my mate had dragged me in ) - it looked good from a distance, but when you looked closely at the welding on the frame, they were bird sh*t welds, looked like something a beginner would produce, not something you expect to see on a high priced superbike!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Definitely something different Simon. And it's looking very good indeed!

ATB.

Andrew

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
I should have mentioned it the engine‘s blew up a lot till a British engineer pointed out the ram air issue !!!
simple air intake problem..

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
yes I read up about it, I think the Fiat V24 cylinder engine took up most of the fuselage, engine bay to cockpit was aluminium and the rest was timber still holds the record for a piston powered seaplane @440 mph or 710 ish kph that was back in October 1934. some interesting reading in this link
simon
The V24 engine was, in fact, 2 V12 engines coupled one in front of the other so that one was moving one 2-blades propeller clockwise and the other moving the other 2-blades propeller counterclockwise.
The solution led to two results:
  • a drastic reduction of the props torque without introducing a real counter rotating prop (probably a too sophisticated solution for that era) with the consequent ease of control without a too large rudder
  • reach the requested power output without designing and producing a 24 cylinder engine (probably another too difficult engineering problem for FIAT capabilities at that time).

Now I will shut my Capt. Slow mouth and let you enjoy the model. ;)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It was still beautiful. I spent a couple hours trying to get a good peddle on a 60s Fiat roadster I was restoring, when the boss came over to see what the delay was. I told him & he laughed & said "it's fine, they're all like that". Lesson learned. I stuck to British cars, Saabs & Volvos mostly after that.

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
Well im calling done link below for finished item