Machine gun etiquette -- or how to make cooling jackets in 1/72

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ok heres a quick one for you. I recently came across a small problem whilst making a 1/72 Fiat G50 , namely the Breda Safat machine guns as fitted to this aircraft (plus a few other italians , and a similar looking MG on some japanese a/c too). The problem being , the machine gun has a perforated cooling jacket round the barrel , so difficult to mould in 1/72 that most manufacturers dont even bother , just giving you a smooth barrel. Now this bugged me , because the guns on the g50 are very prominent ,so i thought is there a way of at least making it look a bit like it should? What i came up with is this-- Get yourself some self adhesive Aluminium tape , its widely available at hardware shops etc.Next find a nail punch or centre punch (or indeed anything)with a Knurled shaft. On a firm surface , i used mdf, put a piece of the tape face up and ,pressing down hard, roll the knurled section over the tape. You should be left with a surface covered in regular indentations .Cut a small piece of this --for a 1mm dia barrel a strip about 3.5 mm should wrap around nicely (the formula for finding the circumference of a circle = Pi x the dia , remember your maths lessons!!?) I wrapped mine round a .75 dia piece of plastic rod , laying the tape piece sticky side up , carefully sticking the rod to one edge ,then rolling it up gently. It should give a cylinder with indentations , in this scale a near enough impression of a machine gun with a cooling jacket once painted and given a wash to highlight the indents. Sounds like a lot of messing i know but with a bit of practice its quite easy ,it may even work for larger scales. Heres some pictures to try and illustrate my ramblings ,, tony

View attachment 53492

View attachment 53493

View attachment 53494

View attachment 53495

View attachment 53496

View attachment 53497

View attachment 53498

View attachment 53499

P1110290 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110297 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110295 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110296 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110299 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110300 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110294 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110305 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

K

Keith9657

Nice one, Tony. I might give that a go myself. Good tip.

keith

C

CDW

nice idea Tony

I suppose you could also use this tip to make those vented heat jackets for some exhausts as well.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers guys, you could adapt it to do all sorts i suppose , I just wanted something a bit better looking than the kit item. You can actually buy turned brass mg's from some guy in poland but at about £5 plus postage they would have cost me more than the kit,and its only a quick build anyway.The aluminium tape is very useful too , for instance i used it for the canopy frame of my CAC boomerang , cheers tony