Macro Photographic Lens for ...FREE!

L

Lady Phoenix

Hey guys, apologies for being away for the last two months, been working.

Anyway, I was watching the christmas lectures on BBC2 over christmas and watch with interest a "life hack" that looked so great just had to try it.

The problem I have is taking photos. I only own a camera phone, a Sony Experia T to be exact, and on the whole it takes some great little pictures. Most of the pictures I take are basic hobby pictures and "tourist" pictures. However, I would really like to take some close of shots of highly details parts.

Ive been doing some research on cameras and been looking at Digital SLR`s with changeable lenses and after talking to an expert and taking into account my current beginner level, and the level I hope to reach the camera I want is a Canon {something or another} 700. Retail price £400 with a macro lens a further £400-£1000. Not a major issue and the camera has enough basic features to enable me to use it well now, and over time, learn how to use the advanced features. However, I wanted to try the camera hack.

In short, its claimed that if you stick the lens from a disposable camera over the lens of your camera phone with a piece of blu-tak you get a camera phone capable of close up shots.

Yesterday I popped into Boots (Or you can pop into any shop that processes photos) and asked if they had any broken disposable camera they couldnt sell as I only wanted the lens and new cameras were around the £15 mark. The guy said he could do better than that. When a customer brings a disposable camera in for processing they dispose of the camera which of course is now useless. So he gave me two used cameras and refused to take a payment even though I offered, so I stuck 50p in the charity box (Optional of course)

So, came home, removed the lens and popped it on my camera phone.

These two images are close ups with a normal camera phone with NO mods

View attachment 100589

View attachment 100590

You can see what it is but no real detail.

The following two are WITH the additional lens on my camera

View attachment 100591

View attachment 100592

Its not perfect and certainly not David Bailey, but its a lot better, only cost me 50p and the local Cancer Hospice benefits also :smiling3:

View attachment 100577

View attachment 100578

View attachment 100579

View attachment 100580

View attachment 100581

View attachment 100582

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The two "after" images have only partially uploaded Penny.

You better have another try.. lol'

Does the Experia T not have a close up function.... ?

Ian M

L

Lady Phoenix

Should be fixed now.

Not sure if the phoen has a close up option. If it does, I cant find it :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice. I'll remove the duff pictures for you ,

Ian M

D

Deleted member 3568

That's very interesting, I have a canon d10 which I use for my finished photos but I use my phone for the build shots, I just upgraded to the Sony xpiria z2 when I get close to the object it automatically switches to macro mode. I picked it as it is supposed to be the best camera phone out there, infact I was told it is better than an slr, it's not my canon is a million times better, it's ancient compared to the z2 and I'm a rubbish photographer but it still beats the z2. Talking to a professional photographer friend of mine apparently camera phones will never ever beat slr cameras even if they had 100 megapixel sensors.

First Name
Aaron
I saw a similar hack for phones...The dude put a drop of water on his phone photo lense, I'll pass on that one due to insurance issues and a very expensive samsung note. Another one for phone photography was using the headphones and a cardboard stand to take steady pics. I use that hack every pic.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Talking to a professional photographer friend of mine apparently camera phones will never ever beat slr cameras even if they had 100 megapixel sensors.
An SLR can do so much more than a camera phone, such as multipoint metering of exposure and focus, vibration/shake reduction, aperture/, shutter/, manual priority including manual focus, ISO sensitivity, variable focal length, interchangeable lenses, burst mode for rapid exposures, RAW files etc. The manual for my bottom-of-the-range and now out-of-date SLR is 200 pages long. Not everyone needs all this but many of the features of mine are very useful, to me anyway and I'm not a photographer. That's not to say that camera phones are low quality. We had a wedding anniversary three years ago and our son-in-law took movies of seemingly broadcast quality. But SLRs are bulky and heavy and I use my compact camera a lot, including for many shots of models.