make do!

R

rawfodog

I have found that modern day British soldiers are too few and too far apart to be worth the money, but cheap kits can be the answer. Looking through Academy mini catalog, I'v found a few kits that with a little bit of paint work can be used as British squaddies.

my tips:

1:The model im working on now, is the tamiya Challenger II. It comes with commander and loader, but no driver. As far as i can see you also have to option to have the drivers hatch open or closed, but why have it open if you have no driver? Well, today i got academy's Republic of Korea: tank crew figures for just £2.99 the are to the same scale as the tamiya crew, (1:35th) and with a custom paint job will pass for British tank crew. Now if you have the same catalog (06-07) you will see the page over is a IDF tank crew kit, one problem with this is that the driver's goggles are not over his eyes. But, with the R.O.K crew the driver model has goggles over the eyes so is better for the driver position.

2:The I.D.F infantry figure set (academy, page 66): their helmets look alot like the current british helmet, and the webbing is close enough to pass. The one problem with this is the weapon, unless you want to have an SAS unit, they are WRONG, but you can get a pack of 10 SA80 (1:35th) for just £7.50 form http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=4&subcategory=104&product=441 paint him in the colour of you scene and you have a few british infantry.

3: I.D.F tank crew figure set (academy, page 68) other than being a good set for your tank that didnt come with a crew, they could be used also for A: Tank crew at rest

B: Tank recovery crew

C: Maintenance crew

4:american soldiers: there are a few kits out there for modern american soldiers, but if you are willing to leave a little to the imagination, then a german ww2 soldier, with a different weapon, and depending on waht clothes the soldier is modeled with could pass as a yank soldier.

5: Keep your eyes out for model people that are around the right scale, as you never know what you can use them for, use toys, any thing.

these are just a few ideas iv had, what do you guys think?

B

Bazza

Hi and thanks for your ideas, although quite frankly I would say that this wasn't making do, more a case of using your initiative and I'm sure any one other than the expert witness will not be able to tell the difference apart once painted up.

It's what I would call "Artistic Licence" and especially in diorama building am using such substitutes and "making do" all the time and if it looks right and helps to achieve a means to an end who am I to argue. If you're happy with the result that's all that matters.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
A little spare warning decal here and a little extra part there: until you have actually been on one of these machines, who knows??? It's so fun to experiment, right?

R

rawfodog

I called it make do, because I have ideas running around my head, every time I see a bit of rubbish I dont think "I should pick that up and put it in the bin" I think "hmm what could I make that into?".

One idea, although I havnt put it into pratice yet. Is making HESCO Barriers out of empty paint pots (Tamiya pots) or the old round photo film boxes (I havnt seen any for ages). And I have an idea on how to make them into said item but I didn't want to share untill I had tried it myself.

1: Clean pot.

2: Cut out a strip of paper, suger paper will work good for the effect. And glue it to the side of the pot.

3: Get some thin wire (e.g. strip the plastic of an electrical wire) and cut it into lengths the same length as the pot (top to bottom) and glue it to the paper, equal space apart.

4: Cut some more wire, long enough to wrap around the pot, and again stick to the pot

*If you don't feel like playing around with wires, a bit fiddley maybe, then try small 5mm maths grid paper.

5: Cut out some sand paper the same diameter as the pots lid, then glue on.

**I havn't tried this, so it may or may not work. Also you may have to 'tweek' the method.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
you know, what really makes me nuts is all those stupid spare bombs and fuel tanks that come with some of the WW2 airplane kits!!!!! Sounds like you have lots of great gears moving in the noggin! Great minds think alike and you'll find a lot of thinking in these forums. Good luck!

R

rawfodog

If you are making a scene, you could get a few model people to fit the scale and do a bomb disposal.

WW2: un-exploded bomb, put it in a ditch sticking bottom up.

modern: IED, put a small bit of square plastic on top, for the power supply, and have thin wire (again from the wire stripped from the plastic) from the square (power supply) to the tip of the bomb.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
great idea! I've always saved scrap from kits in the hopes of one day creating scenes. One thing that I've yet to do is a figure, pilot ect. I now have a few kits with them but never felt the need to place them into anything!

R

rawfodog

\ said:
great idea! I've always saved scrap from kits in the hopes of one day creating scenes. One thing that I've yet to do is a figure, pilot ect. I now have a few kits with them but never felt the need to place them into anything!
How many bombs do you have? As you are into WWII german kit, get a (correct scale) half track, or logistics truck etc and just pile them up in the back, park it next to a Heinkel He 111 (or any otehr WWII bomber)?

On a side note, does any know what is a 1:35th scale metre is in mm?

A

alan2525

\ said:
On a side note, does any know what is a 1:35th scale metre is in mm?
Thats easy! 1metre = 1000mm

1/35th Scale metre = 1000/35 = 28.56mm

:thinking:

R

rawfodog

\ said:
Thats easy! 1metre = 1000mm1/35th Scale metre = 1000/35 = 28.56mm

:thinking:
Cheers a million, I'v been doing maths all day and my head is like scrambled eggs now, algebra course work is not good for your health.

R

rawfodog

one glass for drinking, one for washing, not one for both!!

Todays idea is not a make do tip, it's just a tip, and I didnt want to start a whole new thread just to pass this along.

Make sure that when painting, your drinking water isn't in the same type of glass as your washing your brush in, also dont put your drinking glass next to you washing glass. It doesn't taste nice.:smile11: