Making 1/35 German farm buidings from a pizza!!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
From a pizza? Not strictly true, but it got your curiosity, didn't it? lol

I have been looking at the great street dioramas on here and, because I couldn't justify spending on the excellent, but expensive model houses, decided to try and scratch build a set of 1/35 German buildings (circa 1944/45) to use in a dio. Just what, I have no idea....

I came across a set of three buildings on Google Images by Verlinden, which gave me the basic idea from which to work from.

Now comes an apology...It wasn't 'till I was well on the way to completing the house that I remembered our Spanish friend Polux (Pink Panther) has this same set in his latest diorama. Good job I used a bit of 'Artistic licence'! Sorry Polux for nearly copying your idea!

O.K., I needed something to make the walls of the farm house with. I knew I needed polystyrene but had now't thin enough and didn't think I could trust myself to accurately cut a packing slab to a consistant thickness. The wife arrived home and announced "Pizza for tea!" so I removes the wrapping and under the pizza was a perfect piece of polystyrene....Hence the thread title, sorry!

First I scaled the building on a bit of paper using a 1/35 figure as a template. Then added where I wanted the door, windows and half timbering. I cut out where the openings were to be and marked around these onto the poly' and cut them out with a modelling knife.

For the stone work along the bottom and door opening I messed about with some scrap poly and hit on this idea:- Using a rule press hard into the poly, this compressess the stuff and leaves a demarkation line. Then, with a modelling knife gently cut into the surface where the stone joints are to go, then paint with a slurry of watercolour, job done!

The half timbering is scrap balsa cut to size, painted and stuck with 'UHU' glue.

The door, window and shutters are made from scrap balsa. To get the planking effect I scribed the balsa with a sharp 2H pencil, then with the pencil point I punctured the balsa to simulate nail marks. Then painted them.

The glazing, minus one panel is cut in one piece from a clear plastic, new shirt collar stiffener!! (Me, shirts? Never!)

The roof is made from stiff card from the back of old receipt books, cut into the tile sizes. I left out a couple for a bit of roughness and purpously made the whole thing uneven.

The building is painted with artists watercolours. The polystyrene I left alone except for a bit of weathering.

Next will be the out buildings and barn. I will post some picture of them soon. Then I will crack a can of 'Boddies' and think what to do with them all!

I hope you approve of my first venture into the world of scratch building German houses....With a bit of imagination added, it was good fun and I enjoyed finding new (To me anyway!) ways of doing things.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 37174

View attachment 37175

View attachment 37176

View attachment 37177

View attachment 37178

View attachment 37179

View attachment 37180

View attachment 37181

View attachment 37182

View attachment 37183

View attachment 37184

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 025.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 001.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 002.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 003.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 007.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 009.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 010.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 020.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 022.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 023.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Would you credit it? He's only been and gone and done it again - yet another absolute cracker from bits out of his rubbish bin! That's a rare talent you got there Ron.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave, glad you approve. Don't know about 'Talent'. I just find it challenging and great fun rooting around and trying to produce something from every day items.

If it goes wrong then that too is all part of the fun 'cos it's free!!lol

Now, what can I do with this pile of spud peelings from last night's chips?!

Cheers mate,

Ron

First Name
Chris
Outstanding piece of work Ron!

I'm new to this here diorama thingy but have very much enjoyed putting my first together. (final photo's coming soon) I'm quite lucky in that I work in the sign industry and there no end of useful bit of material I've been able to utilise for my build. Some of you may have seen this guys site buthere's a link anyway as I've picked up some useful tips from it making buildings in foamboard

Again nice work, look forward to see what you plan to do with them

Regards

Chris

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Brilliant Ron,I'm stunned.....again.

Cheers

Steve

T

tommy1drop

Hi Ron

Great work there buddy, you have inspired me to try building my own buildings.

Tom

R

Richy C

Great work Ron looks fantastic , I think your modelling skills have gone up another level with this one mate , it looks as good as any verlinden or miniart house and costs next to nothing , this has got 5 stars written all over it even at this stage .

will be following this one

Richy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Please tell me this is going on a dio Ron. Crackin' work again mate, going to give this one a go. Big five on the way to ya.

Keep havin' fun, John

P

phalinmegob

oh god, and here's me cruising e-bay looking for mini art buildings cos i love em. ron, hope you dont mind but i am gonna copy some of your ideas, the roof looks fantastic (not that the rest dosn't).sure i have some pizza's in the freezer.well done.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Brilliant work young ron! As a fellow member of the poundshop raiders i fully appreciate your genius. Between us we can probably put most of the aftermarket accessory makers out of business!!! The building looks fantastic, Defo 5 star job!! By the way someone used a pizza base before you, but all I did was use it as a quick base!!!!! All thats left now is to show us what you can make out of empty boddies cans, im sure there must be a couple (of dozen) lying around somewhere at ron towers? cheers mate tony:beer:

P

Polux

Hi Ron.

That fantastic idea and work!! It's a precious house! Much will like to see his evolution!! Undoubtedly also I believe that you have given a step more in your level respect all!! I'm very satisfied, for being, though only it's a bit, source of inspiration (I'm a newbie) for big modellers as you!

There are no excuses, I am I who thanks you(all).

Regards

Polux

N

noble

You've done it again haven't you mate what a cracker five stars.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron Just goes to show what can be done with a bit of ingenuity. Great job and look very effective. Cheers paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I have been away over the w/end and have just read all your great comments and the 5 on my house build. I really appreciate them, thank you.

I am also well chuffed that, having seen this thread, people are thinking of having a bash at something similar. This is what is so good about this forum.... A willingness to share and to show, new ideas.

Polux, thank you for your kind words. But big modeller? I have only returned to modelling when I joined this forum about 2 yrs. ago, before that I had never done a diorama of any sort, and this is my first attempt at this kind of house, so I say any of you on here can do this sort of thing. You have all proven you have the skills to produce fine models.

Making something like this building is only an extension of modelling in another form.

I know I keep harping on about it, but the main ingredient in any form of modelling is having the courage to have a go. I had no idea how this would turn out, but I was willing to have a try. That is the secret and if I had have made an a**e of it, I would have made sure I didn't make the same mistake the second time!!lol

I'm finding this scratch building lark great fun. Apart from the cost, I get really engrossed trying to achieve this and that effect, and am a very happy bunny when I am satisfied with the outcome......and not too bothered when I fail 'cos I'll have taugh myself something and just have another go!

Here endeth yet another sermon from the pulpit! lol

Cheers all,

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's the second of three farm buildings.

This one, which I made as a barn frontage, is made from scrap balsa and receipt book backs. Same method as the house, but a heck of a lot easier!

Although not visible in the balsa until I painted the model with watercolours, I was not bothered at the sudden appearance of light streaks on the boarding as I think it helps give the impression of wear and the effect of the sun on them.

Also, because very little will be seen of the sides on this one, I have just stuck a bit of card to both sides and painted them.

I have fixed the timber side spacer pieces to this one as well. I read on 'tinternet these were put there as very simple 'Firebreaks' to keep the wooden buildings apart in case of fire, and to allow the building to be pulled down more quickly.....True or not it seems logical.

I hope you like my second offering for the German farm dio.

Thanks for looking.

Ron

View attachment 37302

View attachment 37303

View attachment 37304

View attachment 37305

View attachment 37306

View attachment 37307

View attachment 37308

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 032.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 004.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 005.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 006.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 008.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 013.jpg

Making a 1.35 German Farm House from a pizza 031.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
keep making lookin that good and you will have mini art on your tail keep it up ron

were you into blue peter when it was a good show????????? lol

john

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your comments John. I appreciate you taking the time to have a look at my build......Never bothered with Blue Peter much, I was too busy being taught how to go down rough water in a canoe!!! In any case I wouldn't have had enough plastic bottles to build a full size model of Mount Everest!lol

O.K., here is the last of the three farm buildings:-

I decided to have a 'drive through' under the structure for access to the rear.

This one is built with scrap balsa, polystyrene and card. I made the stone pillars and white walls from polystyrene and used the same method to get the stone effect as with the house.

That's it really. I will post a picture of the three together shortly.

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 37336

View attachment 37337

View attachment 37338

View attachment 37339

View attachment 37340

View attachment 37341

View attachment 37342

View attachment 37343

View attachment 37344