Making a Drawer for a Worktable

S

Stevekir

Following my efforts in making a wall-mounted rack for paint bottles etc., I thought about Monica's comment that her worktable was cluttered and she couldn't find things. Same here, so I have made a drawer to go under the worktable. It has metal runners for smooth opening and closing. Its easy to see how runners work but to position them is more complicated. They must be parrallel in both plan and side view or they will jamb (sliding things will always jam if given half a chance), so being accurate with measurements is important. Also, every drawer needs a carcass, so it is two things to make. It took quite a long time (I made some mistakes).

The result is good, running smoothly, and the worktable is likely to be much less cluttered. Here are some pics:

View attachment 76880

View attachment 76881

View attachment 76882

View attachment 76883

Drawer.jpg

Drawer + Carcass.jpg

Drawer, closed.jpg

Drawer, open.jpg

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Nicely done it's resulted in a lovely clean and tidy work station unlike my own which is organised chaos

B

bugsaint

Makes me wonder what other people's workbench/build areas look like. I feel a new thread coming along...

Do people have fixed places in which to work in or like me have everything portable due to space/family constraints?

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Makes me wonder what other people's workbench/build areas look like. I feel a new thread coming along...Do people have fixed places in which to work in or like me have everything portable due to space/family constraints?
I am allocated a corner of the dining room where I do sanding & glueing, and have a table in a bedroom for airbrushing.