Making Aircraft seat harnesses/belts

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi everyone.

I have noticed a lot of model aircraft displayed on this site with some incredible looking seat harnesses. I know that some of them are photo etched parts but I know that some of you hand make your belts and buckles. I am about to embark on a 1/32 scale F16 and have not been able to source a set of belts for the ejection seat. So what I would like to know is how do you make them.

I know that masking tape is often used for the fabric so what I'm really interested in is how you go about making such great looking miniature buckles and how you attach them to the masking tape. Also any information on how you get your photo etched belts to look so real would be good. Mine just look awful

I don't think we have a dedicated thread on this subject, I have searched, so it might be helpful for you to disclose your secrets with some photos if possible. Any information on good sources to buy pre-made belts would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Steve

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This was an interesting technique using Milliput for the belts but no information on making the buckles

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The problem for me, even in larger scales, is making realistic fittings for the belts. All after market belts have photo etch adjustments and catches which are fiddly to fit, but look correct. I have never been able to make anything comparable using thin wire. Belts are easy, tape, foil, whatever works for you, but the accessories are not.

In your case it might be worth looking at some 'wrong' harnesses from which you could steal the fittings.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I find it impossible to create the detail of harness accoutrements from wire. This example is also parts of a WW2 harness but the principle s the same as a modern one.

View attachment 103662

A bit of weathering:

View attachment 103663

These are 1/32 scale where they are quite visible.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_0940_zpsw1funnqw.jpg

IMG_0693_zpsykbmbxpf.jpg

B

Bari

This website has a good number of hints and tips. this is the seat belt bit.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/how-to-scratch-build-seat-belt/

First Name
Dave
I buy the Eduard pre painted belts as I tend to mess up the ones you have to paint yourself.I made a set for a Revell 1/32 JU88 a few years ago.I was happy with the belts,but not my attempts at the buckles with fuse wire.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some interesting responses thank you. So basically what I have probably seen are belt sets that have probably been made up using photo etched buckles.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would recommend the HGW fabric ones - they hang better than p.e. though they are very fiddly.