Manufacturers and Models...

P

Polux

Hi all!

I’m nearly finishing my current build, so I will start a new one....

A car :smiling3:

Some days ago I posted a thread asking for your “never builds”. One of mine “never done” is a simple 1/24 civilian car :confused:

I don’t have any special interest on a sport cars.....but they will be my choice. There is a Land Rover at 1/24....but knowing myself I will paint it old and weathered!! And I am just looking for the opposite!! A clean and glossy model (I want to learn this part of the modelling).

My question is for the car builders..... ;)

I know the most popular manufacturers are Tamiya, Aoshima and Revell, not? Any recommendation!!

Any painting advice, please, like varnishes or ideal paints for the future job?

Thanks for your help!

Polux

Last edited:
S

stuart.c.82

It's the beautiful big pannels of cars that I like..

a nice Ferrari f40 maybe if you want red....or...

something new like the bmw i8 black with blue and detailed clean engine bay.... Maybe even....

A movie classic maybe like a delorian!!

Possibilities are endless.... Christ I'm gonna spend a fortune on this hobby!

D

Deleted member 3568

What about a nice E type jag, classic beauty, even Enzo ferrari said it was beautiful, praise indeed.

First Name
Robert
image.jpeg

Here you go a Ford Galaxie 500xl 1965 ( AMT £26:99 Model hobbies

You could make her shine like new ( rims especially )

Regards

Robert

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
If its your first car stick with tamiya. They always go together really well
there is a few shonky ones.....the porsche 959 comes to mind

one to avoid at all costs would be the Revell ferrari enzo............worst kit ive ever attempted, and i know im not the only one thats said that

if you want something simple that goes together brilliantly and looks great id recommend the tamiya Lotus 7 or any of the mini's or the scooby imprezzas

the newer revell kits are ok.........ive found aoshima to be a bit hit and miss detail wise

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
I would go with tamiya for a first dabble in the 1/24 cars, i built the racing mini cooper and it was great to build :smiling3: and this was way back when i got into model kits

Cheers,Ben

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
Hi

If you can get it over your way zero paints but you need a spray booth or very good mask it's not very nice to inhale

P

Polux

\ said:
Hi
If you can get it over your way zero paints but you need a spray booth or very good mask it's not very nice to inhale
Zero paints.....thanks.

Noted ;)

P

Polux

The primer must be a normal grey?

Or I added a black gloss? Or this method is only for the Alclad colours...:confused:

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
Yes any primer I use there own primer micro filler I don't know about acrylic primers Like Vallejo because I haven't tried it some colors you have to spray a base coat to get the right color

Example being there pearl white you have to give it a couple of coats of white first then couple of coats of there pearl white

Also all there paints have to have a top coat of gloss because there all Matt

M

MK Academy

This is my domain...shiny clean build just like out of the dealership:smiling3: I usually build revell because I like their range and it fits well, tamiya is very good as well, I know you said you don't like racing cars but a DTM Mercedes-Benz or BMW looks like a beast, stunning or a F1 car, if it will be a civilian..go for a Ferrari or Porsche or maybe a vw golf...can't wait to see the result..good luck

R

Richy C

For me Tamiya all the way Polux , get yourself over to the Spotmodel website and they are a Spanish company , all sorts of car kits bike kits , detailing parts , paints including zero stuff which they import from the UK , I`ve used them quite a few times for hard to get bits and they are good .

Worth a look in my opinion and they are Spanish , might even be worth giving them a phone call to see what they recommend .

Cheers

Richy

P

Polux

Thank you very much guys for your help ;)

Tomorrow I will go at the model shop. Is where I buy all the train items...but they has a little stash with cars.

Enough, I thought, to start :smiling3:

As I said, I will prohive myself to buy a Land Rover or an ancient one!! It must be a sport one!! Promised!! :smiling3:

After been reading your posts, seems the best option is a Tamiya, and then a Revell.

Forget Aoshima o Fujimi...

And look for a good an shiny varnish as well! Mmmm...maybe wax can work too?

Just hope I have luck and find a nice model to get home :smiling3:

I will post it here tomorrow!!

And more doubts...sure :D

Thanks

Polux

meggsy

SMF Supporter
First Name
steve
Second that about spot models always quick and good service

P

Polux

I did it!!

I'm out of the model shop now....with a Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren 722Edition.... :smiling3:

I don't open the box yet....so I don't know if is a good kit!!!

S

Ssasho0

just a piece of advice - if you are going for a shiny finish, in order to get most of the colour, use gray primer to spot anything that needs your attention and after dealing with it, cover with white primer. Polish with 2000 grid under water and after drying start spraying the colour. Work the whole body together or you may end with doors/hood/body in slightly different shades especially if you use lighter colours like yellow for example.

+1 vote for Zero paints - this is what I am using for all my 1/24 car builds. Their 3 part gloss is extremely good and very very durable for sanding and polishing. For example if you use normal acrylic gloss coat, chances are you are going to sand through it very easily on razed details and through the paint afterwards. With the 3 part gloss (gloss, hardener,thinner) this is way harder :smiling3: .

For sanding and polishing I'm using alclad set of grids - 2500, 3000, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12 000 I think and also Tamiya's set of polishing compounds - coarse, fine, finishing.

For maximum shine I use wax from the local car colour dealer - it adds depth to the gloss coat and really makes the diference, but the model should be polished to perfection before applying the wax :smiling3:

You already bought the kit, but from my expirience, as always check the kit first online and newer moulds > older moulds. Still my personal experience shows the following:

Tamiya > Fujimi (if a Ferrari kit) > Aoshima > Fujimi (If not a ferrari) > Revell

Of course this may vary between the kits :smiling3:

I hope this helps,

Sasho