Marks First build 1/48th Airfix Spitfire

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
First build for 40 years, build went well to priming stage where I thought I better take a pic, my main mistake with the build was to assemble top and bottom wings and then try to attach fuselage, the blocks that the landing gear go in get in the way and had to prise one of the wings apart to get it all together, got away with it though! Mr Primer black surfacer aerosol won't last long, used about 1/3rd of the can for one thin coat all over, gunsight disappeared in the carpet monster but luckily found it (its tiny), no big gaps in the build small bit of filler needed but nothing to bad, waiting for some more supplies from the Scale Model Shop to finish it, will post more pics laterAirfix Spitfire 1.48th.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looks a nice clean build Mark. Primer looks to have gone on smoothly.

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
First attempt at airbrushing, looks a bit patchy because still wet in places, primer coat don't count as out of rattle can, Airbrush is a Iwata Neo, pressure 20 psi paint delivery was a bit on / off, I did thin it about 30% but when cleaning after with water noticed delivery was very smooth, Vallejo paint so maybe thin a bit more? anyway I am quite pleased with outcome

.53518464726_3c611e0a2b_o.jpg

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
It's coming along! I'd recommend using a broken model kit or finding some plastic trash (clamshells for example) to practice airbrushing on. It takes some time to get a feel for the thinning ratio, psi, trigger pressure etc. that you use with an airbrush and it's better to try that out on something that doesn't matter to you. I bought a large box of broken model kits off of ebay years ago that I use for exactly that purpose.

I also use Vallejo paint and have come to really love their Model Air series, which at least for me works really well and doesn't require thinning. I'm not sure what the difference between the Vallejo airbrush thinner and water is, but I've had a bit better luck with their thinner than with water when using their normal model color paint, but I use water sometimes for thinning as well. For me, it's normally 50-50 paint-water or 40% paint, 60% water. That works pretty well for me, but your results may vary. I just don't think there's any substitute for experimentation. I used to use Model Master enamel paint until they went away and had mixes and pressures really dialed in, but switched to Vallejo when MM went became unavailable.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
First attempt at airbrushing, looks a bit patchy because still wet in places, primer coat don't count as out of rattle can, Airbrush is a Iwata Neo, pressure 20 psi paint delivery was a bit on / off, I did thin it about 30% but when cleaning after with water noticed delivery was very smooth, Vallejo paint so maybe thin a bit more? anyway I am quite pleased with outcome

.View attachment 501494
Better than my first attempt. I predominantly use Vallejo acrylic paints. My usual mix is 50/50 water or thinner. I have changed to thinner nearly all the time now as it appears to give a more constant finish. My method is generally mix to 50/50 then test the consistency. If the mix drips off a brush or whatever I use to mix the paint thinning medium that's ready for me. I also operate around 18-20 psi range. As the guys told me on here, keep on practicing until you find what works for you. So many differing variables for us all. From AB to compressors, pressure, types of paint!!!! As said, keep on experimenting!!

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I think the 'patchy' effect you've got there, accidental or not, works really well for panel emphasis
Always appreciate happy accidents!

Easyrider5258

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Found and corrected some issues with the Iwata Neo, the little hole in the cap of paint pot was blocked and the thread seal of the nozzle was leaking paint / air, cured with ptfe tape, don't know yet if if these faults would affect paint delivery or not? seems to spray smoother, on a big learning curve!

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
If you're not loading a ton of paint in the cup and if you can refrain from slinging the airbrush around, you can leave the cap off entirely. I never use them. Just an idea. Can't wait to see what's next.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
With the amounts of paint I typically use for spraying camouflage, I bought myself one of these:

H1000-A1.jpg

No paint cup at all, just a hole in the top of the airbrush where it goes in, and so also no cap with a hole that may be blocked :smiling3: Though I mainly bought it so the cup wouldn’t be in the way for seeing what I’m spraying.