Master Box 1/35 US. 101st Paratroopers. France 1944....and a soul in need.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul and Joe, thanks for the encouraging posts. :thumb2:

Plenty of seats at the front, Joe.

Here's the first taxi off the rank.

I made his helmet camouflage from a bit of nylon supermarket onion bag. The 'tassels' are made from strips of paper suitable coloured, as are the chin and weapon straps.
The lanyard is made from a length of beige sewing thread.
I've added plastic tuff from my spares bag too.
I used Vallejo Air, brushed on.

Regarding the actual painting, I have used my 'rough' (as usual!) technique for his mush. I reasoned he would have been tired, sweaty, dusty, muddy, You name it......

For 1/35 or smaller, other than a bit of applied 'off white' that is all I do to eyes. Too often I see eyes painted like organ stops. They just don't look right to me......Take a look at Clint Eastwood's eyes, you can barely see them!

Bit of a tip. When I painted on the suggestion of a 'Screaming Eagle', I first tried to use one of those modelling pins. The ones with the coloured blob of plastic on the top. Dipped in the paint and applied to the shoulder flash, the paint just wouldn't run onto the plastic. IDEA! I filed the sharp point off a bit, tried again and it worked a treat! I'm sure you folks already know and have done this fix, but there might just be one who has not.......Dear friend, the above is just for you. ;)

A bit of lipstick, black streaks to his cheeks and he's done.

I don't paint creases either. I prefer natural light to do this for me. I don't get why folks paint these.

Anyway, as with all my model making, the above is just my simple, straight forward, no stress method and I'm sticking with it. I just want the easy life.:upside:

To each his own though, eh?

Here's yer man....

P1380015.JPG

P1380011.JPG

P1380012.JPG

P1380013.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Excellent work so far Ron, but I'm waiting to see how many have recovered from '90 degree twice'. I do realise you said it can take a few days, but my best wishes go to them as it looks to be a most uncomfortable condition.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging comments chaps. :thumb2:

Sorry Dave, ' 90 degree twice' is a permanent affliction. There is, however a potion that can be rubbed into the bent bits to help relieve the symptoms. Next time you lance your cat's boils, save the resultant drippings, send it to me and I'll make sure it is sent to the nearest Paratrooper's Base.

Two more off the rank....and I forgot the soles of their boots! :upside:
P1380038.JPG

P1380033.JPG

P1380042.JPG

P1380043.JPG

P1380040.JPG

P1380045.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok Ron, we need to talk here...As I last recall, you were building a 1/72 Belgian farmhouse complete with courtyard and fish pond. Absolutely astonishing work and paint job. So now you are building 1/35 figures and also doing a great job on them.

Is there a connection between the 2 builds? Are you doing a retake on that old film "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman", set in WWII? Or is this just a little break from the pigeon stall on the roof while you find some 1/72 pigeons...Just wondering............

Prost
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice post, Chris.

Allen, thanks for the compliment on the farm progress. Much appreciated.
I just needed a break from it, hence the diversion to the Paratroopers.

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You gonna find some proper seats for those poor b*****s sufferin' from 90 degree twice, or are you just gonna leave 'em scattered about tryin' to get comfy?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Watch this space Dave......or a least when things get moved over to 'Completed' ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
You lot are lightweights!
Remember the hundreds I painted for my Rorkes Drift diorama?
...and they were all 1/72!
I’ve got about two hundred and fifty Zulus in 15mm, and the related British army, so not that lightweight Ron :tongue-out3:
Sold my two hundred strong 28mm Westfalian Napoleonics years ago, though still got most of the British I did at the same time. Got a fair few ACW rebels and fantasy figures as well…….all dwarfed by the unpainted grey army unfortunately.