Matchbox 1:72 Supermarine Walrus

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Greetings all,

I've been trapped in our utility room decorating ( I don't like decorating) so in between paint drying etc, I have started to build this 1973 classic from Matchbox.

Laurie has just started and is making good progress of the Revell re-boxed version of the same kit.

I did message Laurie to check he was OK with me doing the same build and he very kindly said go for it. So here I am, with a nice little build that should take me up to the 1:24 group build in January.

View attachment 94441

Interesting instructions.

View attachment 94442

For the exterior, I'm scribing and riveting, as there is little detail. The Trumpeter riveting tool works quite well, but I an wondering if the rivets will still be visible after a couple of coats of paint ?

View attachment 94443

View attachment 94444

The interior is as dull as the exterior, so I've added a few little bits and pieces just to liven it up a bit.

View attachment 94445

View attachment 94446

Of course, little will be visible when all sealed up.

Right then, it could be time for a bit of paint.

Colin M.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Colin

I don't know - you wait for a Walrus for ages and then 2 come along all at once...

Should be really interesting watching the 2 approaches to the same kit.

All the best with the build

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
My favourite float plane :smiling3: ive built the airfix one of these so it would be good to see the difference:smiling3:

I have the smere 1/48 which is very basic :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice start Colin. Look forward to seeing the rigging later on. A wee heard of Walruses :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
So, here we are again. I've been a bit bad this week so didn't feel like picking the plastic up. In fact, I've been so bad I've been off coffee, tea, and alcohol. Wow, now I realise while I still feel so rough, I've just detoxed myself and didn't even realise it. idiot !

Anyway, a little more has been done at last - and this was meant to be a nice little build before Christmas.

View attachment 94852

Dodgy pic using a phone, just too lazy to find a proper camera. This is the result of the trumpeter riveting tool. Good result, I'm just a bit concerned it will vanish under the paint.

View attachment 94853

I'm not too sure about wing alignment but I think old pics show the upper wing to be flat, so I've built mine on a flat surface and see how things line up now. I normally find old Matchbox kits have a great fit, this kit seems to be 50/50. The wings, engine have been great, but the fuse was quite a bit out and so had to be glued bit by bit.

The holes have been drilled for the rigging, 56 in all, but I'm sure there's a few more to be discovered. Right, lets have a play with some alignment.

10.jpg

11.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for stopping by gentlemen. So a little update. Christmas sort of got in the way but I did manage a bit of work yesterday. As the 1:24 scale GB is just around the corner I've tried to simplify this model somewhat. So, no time for camouflage, why use three colours when I can use one. So, it's the silver version I'm doing, true a bit boring, but being a bi-plane with a bit of rigging, I'm hoping that will add enough interest to disguise the single colour scheme.

View attachment 95183

Early yesterday, the priming was completed. All dried and sanded.

View attachment 95184

View attachment 95185

Painting completed and I'm pleased to confirm, despite my earlier worries, I haven't lost my rivets. Look, there they are, see ?

View attachment 95186

The very last job at midnight last night was to attach the lower wings. I like to attach things like wings or landing gear when I'm the last person to bed. I can then walk away knowing no one can knock or touch it in anyway. The big bonus here is next day, it's ready for the next round of building. I've attached the wings with a tiny amount of dihedral. I was really going for a flat fitment, but they seemed to want to create a natural dihedral so I went with it. I'm guessing the only problem this can cause me is I might have to reduce the interplane struts by a fraction of a mm. Which is much easier than making them longer than a fraction of a mm.

Right, just give me a minute whilst I slap the upper wing on..... !!

Colin M....

Primer.JPG

Paint 1.JPG

Paint 2.JPG

Lower wings.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks Ian, as I said, I wasn't sure if I would lose the detail or not, happily not.

OK, so a bit more than a minute, but the upper wings are in place. Using my patented Mk1 wing alignment tool.

View attachment 95187

View attachment 95188

OK so the wing alignment tool does look a bit like Lego.

Colin M....

Upper wing 1.JPG

Upper wing 2.JPG

D

Doug Hughes

Looking good, Colin, with all the panel and rivet detail. I don't think the silver scheme is boring at all - you only ever seem to see camouflaged Walruses (or would that be Walri?). This should really stand out from the crowd - unless of course you've got a vast collection of inter-war RAF planes.

D

dubster72

Excellent use of Lego Colin! This is a great thread, I'm sure the Walrus was one Matchbox kit I steered clear of as a youngster! ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Excellent use of Lego Colin! This is a great thread, I'm sure the Walrus was one Matchbox kit I steered clear of as a youngster! ;)
Patrick, I built loads of Matchbox as a kid, but just like you, bi-planes were to be avoided !

\ said:
Looking really good Colin.Im looking forward to the rigging.
Rigging now underway Dave.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
looking good,cannot wait to see the rigging on it, ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for looking everyone. Just one pic of the rigging slowly taking shape.

View attachment 95284

As it's 1:72, I'm not using rigging eyes like I would in 1:48, just simple holes and CA to hold the EZ line in place. I'm having a bit of fun with this one, particularly around the engine. There's not much space here and it's all 'inside' the model. Such fun !

Colin M...

Rigging 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Laurie

\ said:
I'm having a bit of fun with this one, particularly around the engine. There's not much space here and it's all 'inside' the model. Such fun !Colin M...
Thanks for that Colin.:eek: Looking good. You can now go to bed. :D