Matchbox 1:72 Supermarine Walrus

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Well, it was a bit of a rush to get this one done, which I think shows in places, but I couldn't help myself with the 1:24 GB just around the corner. I had to get this one finished before January which is why I painted it silver. A bit of a boring colour, but hopefully I've managed to give the mono-scheme a bit of life.

The Walrus first flew on the 21st June 1933 flown by a certain 'Mutt' Summers - the name ring a bell with anyone ?

It might be that the Argentines were still using a brace of Walrus in or around 1958. Not a bad life span.

The kit was moulded around 1973 and didn't quite fit like other vintage Matchbox kits I've built, but it was OK. The decals did break up a little, but being so old, it was no surprise really.

So the pictures. I really prefer to take my pics in natural light, but there's not much of the around at this time of the year, so indoor pics they are.

View attachment 95495

View attachment 95497

View attachment 95498

View attachment 95500

View attachment 95503

View attachment 95504

View attachment 95506

There it is, a 40 something year old kit. Put it like that, maybe It should have stayed in the box - too late now !

Questions and comments good and bad welcomed.

Colin M.....

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

L

Laurie

Very nice Colin. You have now set me a standard. Can I get there.:rolleyes:

Laurie

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build Colin, the rigging alone would see me off!

Mutt Summers? Ah yes, I was in his wife Anne's shop just before Christmas!!!!!!!!!

D

dubster72

What everyone else has said Colin! A great result & the silver looks excellent.

Wasn't Mutt Summers something to do with the Schneider Trophy?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Fantastic Colin you've done a great job on an old war horse and my favourite float plane top job :smiling3:

C

Caledonia

You've done an excellent job on a very old kit Colin, the ribbing effect you have achieved brings the model to life. Great work Derek

First Name
Dave
Great looking Walrus Colin.The rigging looks spot on.As for Mutt Summers,I watched 'The Dambusters' yesterday (again!).He was flying the Wellington that Barnes Wallis conducted his bouncing bomb experiments with.

L

Laurie

Matt Summers certainly was test pilot for the bouncing bomb. But he also was test pilot for the Walrus. Poor fellow.

Laurie

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Great build Colin,she turned out very nice,well done, :D

N

noble

An excellent build Colin I do agree with Ron that rigging would have my head in knots, nicely done though.

scott

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
A great result from an old kit well done mate and you can rip the lid off you 1/24 kit tomorrow:smiling3:

D

Doug Hughes

I love it. The shading really livens up the silver scheme, and the rigging is fantastic. Well done - enjoy your 1/24 build!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
\ said:
Excellent build Colin, the rigging alone would see me off!Mutt Summers? Ah yes, I was in his wife Anne's shop just before Christmas!!!!!!!!!
Good heavens Ron, is that loyalty card still going. It must be gold rated by now.

\ said:
What everyone else has said Colin! A great result & the silver looks excellent.Wasn't Mutt Summers something to do with the Schneider Trophy?
I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me.

\ said:
Fantastic Colin you've done a great job on an old war horse and my favourite float plane top job :smiling3:
Thanks Alan, but if it's your favourite - you have to have a go.

\ said:
Great looking Walrus Colin.The rigging looks spot on.As for Mutt Summers,I watched 'The Dambusters' yesterday (again!).He was flying the Wellington that Barnes Wallis conducted his bouncing bomb experiments with.
Nice one Dave, I didn't know that either.

\ said:
I love it. The shading really livens up the silver scheme, and the rigging is fantastic. Well done - enjoy your 1/24 build!
Thanks Doug. Mono schemes can be a bit iffy so a bit of post shading was called for.

And thanks to everyone else for taking time to have a look. And the next build for the 1:24 GB, will have no rigging and only be a mono plane.

Now then, Mutt summers, after a test flight in a new fighter, he was heard to say 'Don't touch a thing' he liked this new fighter a lot. Lots of people also liked this new fighter - the Spitfire.

Thanks again,

Colin M.........

First Name
Mike
Lovely build Colin, brings back memories of the Matchbox Walrus I built back in the late 70s. Great job.