Matt varnish recommendations please

B

backonthecase

Ok, so my bottle of Xtracolor matt varnish (smells like Humbrol) is on its way out (if not gone minging already).

Matt varnish/coat/cote is not something I hear a lot of talk about, so I thought I'd see what your recommendations were. So I'm looking for a replacement - Now I've always been impressed by the finish of this stuff however being spirit based and needing white spirit/turps to clean and thin, if I can get the same quality and resilience from an acrylic product, I'd rather use it. Other than that, the only disadvantage I can report is that the packaging (soft crappy polythene bottle) was pretty poor...

The replacement must be readily available in the UK, and must not need the sale of a kidney to purchase.

Thanks in advance, hit me with them ideas......

Stuart

C

Caledonia

Lifecolor is truely matt, no smell, brushes and airbrushes perfectly. Cheers Derek

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Vallejo these days.

Steve

B

backonthecase

Might try and get hold of lifecolor, or Xtracrylic. Both easy to deal with. Anyone used one after the other and able to compare?

Thanks

G

GazB

Vallejo gets my vote too, the finish is flatter than a witches tit.

R

Richy C

Vallejo works pretty good for me too , although I`ve never tried lifecolor or xtracrylics

B

backonthecase

Got Vallejo on another forum too. Looks like we have a wiener.... no? just me then.

Right John gimme some of your fast delivery action ;)

Cheers for the help lads!

Stuart

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
the Vallejo, do you brush or spray it on?
I've only ever sprayed it but I don't see why it couldn't be brushed. I'll defer to someone who has tried it though.

Cheers

Steve

W

wbk666

next question, how do you clean it out of the brush afterwards, is it the same as vallejo air paint?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First off start buy washing out with plenty of water; pour it in the cup swish it around with a paint brush and POUR it out. Then run a few cups of water through the airbrush. Then clean it with airbrush cleaner.

The only bad thing I can find with Vallejo varnishes is they are a pain to clean up after!!! Other than that they are the bees knees.

Ian M

First Name
Chris
Well I'm going to throw one more into the pot as I'm a fan of Tamiya spray varnishes. I use both the matt and semi gloss and always get good results + there's no clean up after. I guess they're not the cheapest but for around £5 a can they usual do 3-4 1/48 planes.

Regards

Chris

A

andygh

If I want something really matt I use Testors Dullcote but Xtracrylics , Lifecolor, Vallejo etc. all do the job

T

tecdes

Wayne you get a great finish with Vallejo varnish. As said above the great feature of Vallejo is its ability to flatten out & it is very forgiving.

But it will gum up your airbrush unless you get at it as soon as you have finished. And gum it up it will. Not the same as the Vallejo paint.

My way similar to Ian's way but get Vallejo Brush cleaner pumped thro straight away.

I then strip down & plonk the nozzle in a little pot of Vallejo cleaner to soak. I use warm water & use the brushes on wires & clean through all the tunnels in the body.

Then I use a reamer to make sure all the varnish is removed from the nozzle. I then a couple of times fill the nozzle with water blow through & sight onto white paper to make sure I have a lovely clean orifice staring at me.

Sounds complicated. But takes me less than 4 minutes & falling. Use the reamer carefully as the nozzles are very fragile & it is easy to burst through the sides.

Laurie

W

wbk666

sounds more or less how i clean my brush at the end of the spraying day, i think im going to give it a go, i love vallejos air color paints.