Matt varnish recommendations please

T

tecdes

\ said:
As always... "To be, or not to be?"
Yes like my modelling in general subject to.

"The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune".

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I flush my aibrush after using Vallejo varnish with water,then give it a thorough clean and flush using Meths.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

But the white stuff is more potent !

Laurie

Stuart you may already know this if so apologies. My surname is Stewart by the way.

Two brothers left Normandy from Dinan & Dol & with William conquered Britain. Dol & Dinan not 30 miles from where I live in Jersey. They were then sent to Scotland as High Stewards & became known as the Stewarts. Then one married King Bruce's daughter & so became the Stewart dynasty.

Mary Queen of Scots being young, with England being at loggerheads with the Scots & France a friend of Scotland, was educated in Paris.

The French, being what they are very desperate to be different to the English (and vice versa) would not support the use of W using a U instead. So Mary came back to Scotland as Queen as a Stuart.

Supporters, the nobs in Edinburgh, adoted the Stuart to show their allegiance to the Scottish Crown. Those elsewhere in Glasgow etc. kept the traditional Stewart.

Last edited:
B

backonthecase

I knew bits and pieces of that info there....

I knew there was a French connection (haha) somewhere but mine to me is always the "Mary Stuart" and therefore the "Scottish" way of spelling. Stewarts however, see it differently haha

Stuart

B

backonthecase

So Vallejo Matt varnish is ace!

Not model AIR though, so still needs thinned. A good product anyway :smiling3:

T

tecdes

Hi Stuart. Vallejo varnishes are for the range Model & Model Air. They used to be marketed under both Model Air & Model but they were the same product..

For varnish I use a .4 needle/nozzle which gives a fine finish. The varnish straight from the bottle. Tried .2 but found a few problems & hence the .4.

Problem is if you thin you will probably have to apply more coats. Not such a problem with matt but how gloss reacts I cannot say. Like to keep to as small a number of coats as every additional coat picks up another bit of stuff hanging in the air.

If you thin use Vallejo thinner. One of Vallejo paints advantages is the ability to level out & give that nice finish even if you have overloaded in an area. If you use Vallejo thinners it has similar ingredients ,spreading & adherence,to the paints. Place a good size spot of thinners on plastic leave it to dry & there you will have the remains stuck fast to the plastic.

Laurie

B

backonthecase

I managed to get the varnish to work using my trusty surgical spirit but I might invest in some Vallejo just for the varnish.

I used a badger "fine" (don't know the diameter) needle in a 100G and worked rather well. I see why it's highly revered. very very flat and quick drying.

Stuart