Me262 night fighter paint scheme

B

backonthecase

Hi folks,

Looking for an "out of the ordinary" paint scheme for an Me262. The one on the box is the standard nightfighter scheme (grey mottled on the fuselage, black on the underside and angular dark colours on wing topsides).

I'm looking for just an unusual one as I think the mottled grey seems to be the only option on most night fighters of this type. On an afterthought - anyone know if any pure black ones existed? Would look damn nice but I want something accurate....

Thanks in advance.

Stuart

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Stuart, Guys,

Ok, I havent looked at all the images on the link I am about to give you, but I remembered that the Australians had an Me262 in a museum so I looked them up....I "googled" them ( still amazed that google has become a verb). Anyway, here is the link with tons of photos and information about various Me262's :

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/me262.html

I think you should be able to find something you like on this site, maybe not a black aircraft, but there are tons of pics like I said.

Have a good day,

Greg

B

backonthecase

Woo you guys rock! found a non-restored NachtJagdschwager on one of these websites that looks very much like it's all black, or maybe partially black-green or something. Something very sinister about a 262 in black!!!

Like the Bf110 as well...i feel i may have to pick one of these babies up very soon (SMACK ON THE WRIST) Nooooooo - not til I've finished what I have!!!!! hehehe!!

V

Vulcanxm603

Hi,

Have you had a look at the colour scheme on the 262 - 2seater at the South African Military hostory museum. Photos of it can be found via this link: IPMS South Africa - Me 262 B-1A U1 SA's most valuable aviation jewel

T

T. van Vuuren

I am glad you posted my pic, I was just planing to do so myself :smiling:

I took it at the Imperial war meseum in Saxonworld JHB where we have our monthly IPMS meetings.How cool is that?

On my way to the meeting I can have a look at 2 Me 109's ,FW 190, Mozzie,SEA5, Haker Hurricane, Hawker Hart and so no!

Theuns

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not sure about all black. All I can say is I've seen just about every conceivable mottle,squiggle and splinter on Me262s.There are plenty with odd panels,different paint schemes (on various sub assemblies) and even unpainted,but I don't remember one in overall black.

There is a famous picture of very dark looking aircraft (including Me262s) aboard HMS Reaper but they are wrapped and coated in some kind of preservative for the voyage. As with all things Luftwaffe never say never but do remember that a restoration is effectively a 1:1 model.

I've attached the "Reaper" photo to show how easily that could be mis-interpreted.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23874

untitled.JPG

T

T. van Vuuren

Boy , do I have egg on my face now! For some or other reason the link showed my pix when I looked at it, most likely me not beeing able to work the computer !

Please dissregard my post #8 about the pic.

Here is the one I took.

Theuns

View attachment 23875

IPMS 011.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yours is an excellent photo nonetheless Theuns.

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx mate, it makes me fell "less bad" ;)

I think it would be a difficult thing to do though , the cammo will have to be very fine and small on the model.

T

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Thanx mate, it makes me fell "less bad" ;)I think it would be a difficult thing to do though , the cammo will have to be very fine and small on the model.

T
I think in a smaller scale I'd do it in reverse. Spray blotches of RLM 81 and RLM 82/3,I'm not sure which that is supposed to be, and then apply little blobs of Blu-Tac. Spray RLM 76 over the lot and then remove Blu-Tac to reveal a (hopefully) beautiful scheme.

You could try spraying the mottle colours through a card mask but I've had "mixed" results doing that.

Cheers

Steve

T

T. van Vuuren

That might work,yes

When it comes to mottle cammo,I like the German meditirainian brown with all over green spots :smiling:

Theuns

PS. sorry fro hijack