Mech kitbash

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well my last sci-fi kitbash was so much fun that I've started another!

It'll be some kind of bipedal attack robot hewn from an old Tamiya T-62 kit (the one with the battery holder). I'd thought about letting you guys guess the kit I'm ruining but it's so iconic that it would be plainly obvious to most.

Because it's so well known I'm going to try and keep some of more recognisable parts, almost as though someone had found an abandoned tank and chopped it up.

So here's where I started:

1000007377.jpg

The first job was to widen the turret, which meant cutting it in half with my new razor saw (which was absolutely spot on for the job). Originally I was going to space it like this but eventually went for a more tapered effect, 40mm wider at the rear, 20mm at the front:

1000007378.jpg

I wanted it higher/deeper too so thought about some kind of ventilated deck. To that end I added a spacer layer:

1000007386.jpg

Then I got really carried away and forgot to take any pictures, but this is the how it stands now, with around half the lower hull forming the "body" and using the original turret rings so that the "head" will be able to swivel.

I've added an over-long axle for the "arms" that I can trim to length when I get to that part:

1000007387.jpg

1000007388.jpg

1000007389.jpg

Very early days but I'm having a hoot so far!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys. Yes it's a little bit crazy but then so am I :tears-of-joy:

If you want to see some of my influences for this (apart from the voices in my head) then search for MWO Omega or King Crab, and the YouTube channel Cut Transform Glue.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I like the eyes in the turret top, will they come with lashes....
Seriously, this is going to be interesting.
Those hatch openings have caused me no end of headaches. Because they aren't symmetrical on the turret, no matter how much measuring I do they keep deceiving my eyes.

I've always been a "if it looks straight" kind of guy, but it never does :smiling5:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've been doing a bit more on this.

Firstly I managed to score some used warhammer sprue from my son. These are just the "vehicle" ones but have plenty of bits & bobs I can salvage:

1000007436.jpg

For one of the main weapons I've had a go at making a gatling / mini gun. Lots of holes to drill! Nothing is perfectly straight but good enough for a first attempt I think.

There's plenty more detailing left to do on it but the basic size, shape & layout is sorted. Mostly styrene tube & sheet, with a felt tip lid, a bit of old pipe and a dropper bottle top:

1000007441.jpg

1000007442.jpg

And what on earth happened to my tidy new desk! :tears-of-joy:

1000007440.jpg

Notice the bottle of TET in the middle of the shot? Can you tell that the lid is loose?

No, neither did I until I picked it up and splashed half a bottle over the desk, prompting the quickest tidy up in history!

Not many casualties thankfully but I'll certainly be more careful in the future :rolling:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've been doing a bit more on this.

Firstly I managed to score some used warhammer sprue from my son. These are just the "vehicle" ones but have plenty of bits & bobs I can salvage:

View attachment 506778

For one of the main weapons I've had a go at making a gatling / mini gun. Lots of holes to drill! Nothing is perfectly straight but good enough for a first attempt I think.

There's plenty more detailing left to do on it but the basic size, shape & layout is sorted. Mostly styrene tube & sheet, with a felt tip lid, a bit of old pipe and a dropper bottle top:

View attachment 506779

View attachment 506780

And what on earth happened to my tidy new desk! :tears-of-joy:

View attachment 506781

Notice the bottle of TET in the middle of the shot? Can you tell that the lid is loose?

No, neither did I until I picked it up and splashed half a bottle over the desk, prompting the quickest tidy up in history!

Not many casualties thankfully but I'll certainly be more careful in the future :rolling:
Andy I dunno which is worse, the panicked cleanup and fumes, or the compulsion to weep at the thought of all that wasted TET

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Digitigrade. It's a biological term for 'your legs bend the other way'
That’s the lies-to-children explanation, of course :smiling3: It actually means “walking on your toes” — what people often think of as a cat’s or a dog’s knees are actually their ankles, what they think of as the ankle is where the toes join the foot, and the knee is almost inside the body due to them having a relatively short thigh bone.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
That’s the lies-to-children explanation, of course :smiling3: It actually means “walking on your toes” — what people often think of as a cat’s or a dog’s knees are actually their ankles, what they think of as the ankle is where the toes join the foot, and the knee is almost inside the body due to them having a relatively short thigh bone.
What he said :tongue-out3:

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I've always liked that term 'lies to children.'

"Actually" pushes glasses up to bridge of nose "I think you'll find it's more complicated than that"

There MUST be a single German word for it.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks Paul, a great compliment coming from you.

I've been doing a bit more and I'm blatantly copying the method of a guy I follow on YouTube. He does his first round of detailing then primes the assembly to get a better look at it, before another round of finer detailing.

To that end the gun is in its first layer of primer. Perhaps because of my job I've gone OTT. The mixture of plastics gave me the jitters so I gave it a coat of plastic adhesion promoter (which does what it says on the tin) before a coat of Halfrauds plastic primer. Probably unnecessary but I'm used to providing finishes that'll last for decades in all weathers:

1000007457.jpg

1000007458.jpg

1000007459.jpg

I'm really pleased with how it looks so far but now that I can get a better look at it, I can decide whether to go further with the bits & bobs.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Adhesion promoter — I didn’t know it existed, but it sounds like something that might be worth trying out under, say, water-based acrylics?