Medea Airbrush Cleaner - what's it like?

C

Cooperman69

Hi all,

Following a session of air brushing today it was time for a strip and clean up.

I empty the cup of any left over acrylic paint, drop in some Tamiya thinners and stir with a small brush and pour the mix out, next is a couple of cups of Vallejo airbrush cleaner and blast through at 25psi. When I strip the nozzle off and the needle out there is still some significant paint residue on the needle and to be honest the cup is still showing signs of paint staining.

I'm not too sure with the Vallejo cleaner to be honest as it just doesn't seem strong enough to give a good clean. I tend to finish off the clean with some Spraycraft cleaner which although very good it requires a good mask and ventilation!

Has anyone tried the Medea cleaner and have any views on it's effectiveness. It says it's "strong" in the advert and has no odour so could be the best of both worlds.

Also while on the subject, could someone maybe put a list together as to what to cleaner to use with what paint product? I'm getting a little confused with IPA for this, cellulose for that, white spirit for other stuff, I just don't know what to use for the best with different paint/varnish products and what may damage seals in the airbrush or not. Would be very much appreciated :thumbs-up:.

Atb,

Colin.

O

Oggy

Hi Colin

I use Medea and find it very good. It leaves my Iwata CR nicely clean after use with enamel and acrylic.

Not sure about the no odour bit though. The first time I used it I discharged about half a reservoir into the air and ended up with a tight chest and serious cough.

I now fire it at a crumpled tissue.

T

tecdes

Warm water Colin. That is what I use. Not the brush cleaner it is the technique which will keep your brush clean.

Take the whole brush to the sink. Have you a quick release on your brush from the compressor hose. About £4 well worth it.

My way. 4 minutes. Think you were using Vallegro paint.

Dismantle brush. First withdraw needle backwards, but still remaining in the brush, out of range of the nozzle.

Remove Nozzle then withdraw needle from the nozzle end. All this to avoid needle damage. Leave nozzle & protection cage in warm water to soak.

Clean needle & rest on a tissue. Make sure that any dried paint has been removed from the needle tip. Damage needle point & you have had your chips plus £35.

Dismantle the rest of the brush.

With a long brush clean out the needle tunnel & paint way from cup to nozzle area using running water.

Piece together the brush replacing the needle through the nozzle end to avoid damage. With draw needle backwards clear from the nozzle.

Clean nozzle with a reamer in running warm water. Blow through the nozzle & sight through on a white background to ensure the nozzle is clear.

Clean nozzle protection cage using brushes to get into the cage structure.

Replace nozzle & cage. Then adjust needle into the nozzle gently.

Brush will now be clean no brush cleaner used except to perhaps remove dried on paint in the cup. Use a tissue wetted with cleaner.

Finally I hook up to the hose & squirt a half cup of Vallejo Cleaner through to lubricate & make sure all is working correctly.

Look into cup while squirting cleaner through. If there is a myriad of small bubbles you will have a clog in the nozzle some times just an air block.

Withdraw needle backwards & clean nozzle.

For enamels I use White Spirit

Vallejo Acrylics. Vallejo thinners is best it has the same ingredients as the paint. Some use tap water.

Nor sure what you would use cellulose for other than cellulose paint.

Your brush manufacturer will tell you what chemicals the brush will withstand ie the compatibility of the seals.

Laurie

C

Caledonia

Hi Colin, I use this stuff, it's good but don't believe the 'no odour', you need a good quality mask, as the smell is stronger than any paint I have used. Cheers Derek

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the advice so far lads.

I reckon I could live with the odour as long as it cleans well and is easier to deliver in the cup than the aerosol spray I use at the moment.

I will try the water cleaning Laurie but it's just a bit of a pain at the moment as I'm all set up outside in the workshop and I'm yet to get a quick release so will also need to unscrew the airbrush. I'm mainly using Tamiya paints so maybe that's the issue with the Vallejo cleaner not working thoroughly. I do always strip down after a session but I find even inbetween paint swaps that the Vallejo cleaner is leaving to much residue for the next colour in the cup so the Medea would be an easy option at the bench.

Colin.

A

andygh

I've tried Medea & Vallejo and there isn't much to chose to be honest

The best thing I've found for acrylic paints is Mr Muscle glass cleaner or car screenwash

For stubborn stains or enamels I use celulose thinner or if it's very bad acetone

W

wbk666

ARRGGHHHHH!!!

I must have cleaned my airbrushes twice each today. fully dismantled and flushed through with warm water AND airbrush cleaner but still im getting a stuttering flow when i try to spray using vallejo air paints (as they come out of the pot). air pressure between 20-25 and using a double action airbrush. what am i doing wrong? **sob**

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
ARRGGHHHHH!!!I must have cleaned my airbrushes twice each today. fully dismantled and flushed through with warm water AND airbrush cleaner but still im getting a stuttering flow when i try to spray using vallejo air paints (as they come out of the pot). air pressure between 20-25 and using a double action airbrush. what am i doing wrong? **sob**
Your pressure could be too high, try lowering it to 10-15 also check the needle tip, you might have a bit of dried on paint on it, scrape it off with your nail.

As for the Medea cleaner I've never had any problems with it, I only use it at the end of a session, in between paints I use Halfords screen wash, I've not tried it but AK Interactive perfect cleaner is supposed to be good, that's what the makers say anyway :smiling3:

W

wbk666

\ said:
Your pressure could be too high, try lowering it to 10-15 also check the needle tip, you might have a bit of dried on paint on it, scrape it off with your nail.As for the Medea cleaner I've never had any problems with it, I only use it at the end of a session, in between paints I use Halfords screen wash, I've not tried it but AK Interactive perfect cleaner is supposed to be good, that's what the makers say anyway :smiling3:
i may have "dry tip" i just told the wife and she said "im on my own with that problem"... im considering getting some flow improver, for the airbrush of course ;)

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
Your pressure could be too high, try lowering it to 10-15 also check the needle tip, you might have a bit of dried on paint on it, scrape it off with your nail.As for the Medea cleaner I've never had any problems with it, I only use it at the end of a session, in between paints I use Halfords screen wash, I've not tried it but AK Interactive perfect cleaner is supposed to be good, that's what the makers say anyway :smiling3:
Damn it, I knew there was something else for the order last night!! :smiling3:

I ordered the Medea cleaner but forgot to look at the AK stuff. Oh well, next time it is.

Out of interest John is the AK Interactive Cleaner potent enough for to clean up Klear from the airbrush?

Atb, Colin.

Last edited:
C

Cooperman69

I'm going to have more cleaners than paint! :smiling3:

Is the Alclad cleaner meant for all types of paint or just the Alclad metal finishes?

Also how is it dispensed? Aerosol or bottle?

Cheers Colin.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
It will clean anything, but dont' soak your airbrush in it for too long, it's in a 120ml bottle

C

Cooperman69

Thanks John I'll try some with my next order.

Atb, Colin.

W

wbk666

a quick update

i just used humbrol acrylic with 100%

I turned the airflow down to between 15-20 and diluted the paint with tapwater but with a lot more water than i have used before.

thanks for all the help

W

wbk666

\ said:
Hi Colin, I use this stuff, it's good but don't believe the 'no odour', you need a good quality mask, as the smell is stronger than any paint I have used. Cheers Derek
We use it and my son complains that the smell is strong but i don't notice much of it.

I spray it into a small cup with tissue held over it to catch the spray. Until my cleaning station arrives anyway.