Mini Art MkIII Valentine V in 1/35

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Looking good Ian matey, keeping an eye on this build.

Have fun, John

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Spent most of the evening treeing up the tools and other lose parts that need paint before being stuck to the main construction. Plus putting on all the external handles. I have actually painted a whole tank once, and only found I had not glued the handles on until I went to weather the darn thing. Trying not to make that mistake again!!!

Had a hunt around for an appropriate colour and settled on Vallejo dark sand #123 for the base and camo olive green #096 for the squiggly bits.

So the big bits are now painted with the base colour.

While that is setting hard, I will take a look at those tracks. Now the kit does come with individual link tracks but they need glueing together. I also have a set of Bronco models tracks which by the look of things do not need glue to hold them together. They look a tiny bit better as well. having said that the kits tracks also look very good.

I will do a lenght of each and then chose which ones to use.

In the meantime you can look at the painted bits.

View attachment 40119 View attachment 40120 View attachment 40118

Lurking amongst the fiddly bits is the 'wooden' box that also got painted this afternoon after work. Oil pains over light tan Vallejo. Then as the thinly applied oils where almost dry (its been on top of the desk lamp, nice and warm but not hot....) It got a couple of passes with an old tooth brush.

Right thats it for today. Telly time!

Ian M

View attachment 43906

View attachment 43907

View attachment 43908

First coat bits.jpg

First coat hull.jpg

First coat wheels.jpg

D

dubster72

Lovely work Ian. That wooden box looks just right & the tools with separate heads look very good.

Patrick

S

sprayman

Looking very good at this stage Ian, great work on this mate.Looking forward to the finished Item.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well been cutting tracks and seeing how they look and fix. The Bronco win hands down. They just click together. OK some of them are a bit lose due to the tiny tap that suffers as you press them together, but the stay together well enough to be able to pose them over the wheels, then glue them up with liquid poly I guess. Time will tell on that one but I know that they will not stay together without some glueing...

I did manage to drop on of the return wheels while preparing to paint the tyres. I heard it hit the floor then that fatal tic tic roll bounce.

I just spent the last ten minutes crawling around the floor with a flash light. Dude I have some serious dust bunnies under my desk!!!! Hovering is banned from this room!!!

The good news is I not only found the wheel (under my wifes desk) but I also found the tail fin from my Avro 504 that I lost like three months before Christmas hiding under the filing cabinet!!!

Right I got some tyres to paint.

Byeeeeee

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Track day

Well not that kind of track day, these ones.

I got the last few links sorted today and went direct to paint.

I will say that these went together real easy and are totally flexible- not one drop of glue! They just clip together, brilliant.

Enough waffle here are the pictures:

View attachment 40245 View attachment 40246 View attachment 40247

I found that with a good side cutter I could cut the links off the trees with almost no need to sand the cut off.

As I said, these particular links just clip together so the assembly was quite quick and glue free. As you can see they are nice a bendy.

View attachment 40248 View attachment 40249

A base coat of burned Iron Alclad II with a light dusting of Light burnt iron over the top. The inside centre contact area were the road wheels are in contact, got a dusting of steel.

View attachment 40250 View attachment 40251

They where finished off with a dry brushed Humbrol metal coat allu on the rest of the contact surfaces.

I have also started on a base... I want to pose the suspension so you can see the way the boogies work to follow the ground. More about that later.

Ian M

View attachment 44027

View attachment 44028

View attachment 44029

View attachment 44030

View attachment 44031

View attachment 44032

View attachment 44033

11 Track.jpg

12 Tracks.jpg

13 Tracks.jpg

14 tracks painted.jpg

15 tracks painted.jpg

16 Tracks painted.jpg

17 Tracks painted.jpg

A

AJay

Looking great thus far! Look forward to seeing the completed tank :smiling3:

D

dubster72

Great tracks Ian, they're looking very realistic. It's always nice when they go together so easily!

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A

AJay

Hand painting that camo must have been a job and a half It looks great!

From the air it would be lost on a cracked desert floor. I can see how your eyes went loopy......the effect on the ol' peepers is similar to that of 'dazzle' paint schemes used on ships.

D

dubster72

Very good Ian! Hats off to you for trying that freehand, I'd have bottled it & sprayed it!

Patrick

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, my hat goes off to you mate, that is one spot on painting and no mistake....

In my opinion, it's certainly the best tank cammo work I've seen and I doubt it will be beaten.

I don't usually pile on the praise so much, but this quite exceptional..

Very well done.....big 5 for the cammo alone!

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ron! I wonder what you will say after its been tidied up?!?!?!

Looking at the larger than life photos I can see there are a few places that need a quick tidy/touch up.

I will give it the once over tomorrow and then seal it down before the weathering ruins it.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hand painting that camo must have been a job and a half It looks great! From the air it would be lost on a cracked desert floor. I can see how your eyes went loopy......the effect on the ol' peepers is similar to that of 'dazzle' paint schemes used on ships.
This camouflage is unique to the Island of Malta. At the time most of the buildings and all forms of wall were made from dry stone walling, as there was so much of the stuff, being a rocky island.

Ian M

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Great freehand camo Ian. It looks very effective.

Vaughan