Model Making Standard on this Forum

L

Laurie

Is it me or has the standard gone up a notch.

Some of the stuff portrayed here in the last few months or so seems to be a a level where we just do not have one outstanding model every now and then but near every day.

Looked at half a dozen the last few days and the craftsmanship is very high.

Gives great encouragement to follow rather than decide this top level is not achievable. To improve and try and approach the level of those who are producing this stuff who did not suddenly appear for no where. It does take dedication to improve and I find the reward is equal to that dedication.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Agree whole heartedly Laurie.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
personally i always try to do the best i can.....some times i manage it, other times i crash and burn terribly.......its a constant to try and improve,to learn new tricks and tips to make that finished model look a bit better than the last one, and a forum like this is the best place for learning those tips

i jus think we are all driving each other to better ourselves without realising it

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It just goes to show what this forum is all about, with some great tips, fun and informative comments you learn without feeling inferior and most of the time you don't even know it. And long may it continue.

O

omi1966

There is nothing better than another modeller on here commenting how good your model is or notice a particular part or detail you worked on, yes I think the standard has been raised but I think it's in a good way, by modellers taking real pride in there art.

Martin.

Plus we all like a pat on the back if we're honest not just a "that's nice dear, now the grass needs cutting".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I must admit that there has been a plethora of great works recently, I mean not just build quality but paintwork and weathering all combining to create a superb piece. I agree that this site is gently pushing us into making better and not insisting and ignoring less talented builders-we all seem to be swept along with creating better-myself included...I hope.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

Don't worry Laurie, I'll post something today to restore the balance! :P

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Plus we all like a pat on the back if we're honest not just a "that's nice dear, now the grass needs cutting".

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
SWMBO looked at my latest creation commented on "the detail on that" and then asked why, if I could do that, I hadn't painted the radiator in the bathroom :smiling3:

I agree that there have been some very nice models seen recently. They also cover many different genres which is great, even if I myself stick to aeroplanes.

Cheers

Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
\ said:
SWMBO looked at my latest creation commented on "the detail on that" and then asked why, if I could do that, I hadn't painted the radiator in the bathroom :smiling3:
cos that radiator wouldnt look good in a WW2 RAF green/brown camo scheme :D :D:D

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
cos that radiator wouldnt look good in a WW2 RAF green/brown camo scheme :D :D:D
You may have given me an idea there :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

L

Laurie

\ said:
Don't worry Laurie, I'll post something today to restore the balance! :P
I know you will Patrick even if it is a self built compressor. :rolleyes:

Laurie

PS hope you know what you are doing. Hope. ;)

P

Polux

I think all turns around the Respect...

On this forum, the members observe and work silently, without any exertion to be the "ONE".

We learn all together, with no diference between all us, and that is perfect and the best atmosphere to acquire new skills.

Observe and respect... ;)

T

treyzx10r

Thaks for taking the time to point that out Laurie! I know for a fact that my modelling has improved a great deal thanks to the input and encouragement found right here on this forum. For that alone I tip my hat to all the Members here new and old alike! In a world with so much negative it really is a nice break to come on to this site and interact with such wonderful Folks found here. I would be remiss to not also thank all the Mods and John for the hard work and dedication it takes to allow us to enjoy this forum as well ! Just my .02 cheers Trey

R

Richy C

Great thread , I don`t post as much as I should but I do stick my head in everyday to see whats going on , I agree the standard of modelling is top notch but what I love about the SMF is that it has not changed , it does not matter what age - gender - level or skill a member has everyone still offers help - praise -encouragement and long may it continue ,

And thats down to John the mods ( not the ones with parker coats and Lambrettas ) and above all the members ,

Cheers

Richy

L

Laurie

After starting this piece I became worried that all the talk of the high level of some of the work might be detrimental.

Just to say that we all started form the bottom with skills and that those who have attained great skills shown here started at that bottom in the learning curve.

Not sure how to put this. But most of us are on a learning curve at a standard at varying intervals below the top models on this forum.

To those model makers show all your finished models and not to worry about your own standard as against others producing top models. That is essential to this forum and the way it operates for all what ever standard.

One thing I have just loved about this forum is seeing the progress of those who have shown their models for us all to see.

My challenge is for all to keep showing their achievements what ever stage they are at. I found it difficult to decide to show my earlier models until I realised that I must. That gave me confidence as I felt on the first rung of the ladder and determined to improve. Competition is within each of ourselves not competition with others and that is the best competition you can ever have.

Laurie

D

dubster72

I agree Laurie, everyone's on some level of the learning curve - it'd be very boring to excel at everything!

However, competition is both natural & healthy, so I doubt you've any reason to worry about this thread.

We all seek to improve, learning from others along the way & as long as we can still laugh at ourselves we know we're not megalomaniacs with secret world-domination fantasies.

Now where did I put my copy of Mein Kampf? :P

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
we know we're not megalomaniacs with secret world-domination fantasies.
You speak for yourself Patrick! I wouldn't mind a go at world domination for a while. Just as a break of course - I'd give it back! Honest I would!