Model photos the easy way

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For model photography, HDR is mainly useful if you have light things in the photo, that disappear in the glare — like in the example with a few bits of plastic card. Another situation in which it makes a good deal of difference is if you go outside and photograph something with the sun in the frame, whether directly or shining through a cloud:

IMG_1314.jpegIMG_1315.jpeg

The first is normal, the second is HDR, taken less than a second apart.

As for your figure, I like the last, darker, picture better than the other two.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks, guys :smiling3:

Those things shouldn’t take very long. After you’ve done it a few times you’ll known what to press and it’ll be very quick, but your photos will be much better for it :smiling3:

Thinking about it, it’s probably better than the little tripod, because with this arm I can get the light down to table level, instead of some distance above it, so I can take pictures horizontally if I want to rather than only diagonally from above. I’d consider it a worthwhile investment if you’ve got a ring lamp.
Of course being retired I've got the time,I've got a fold up booth, lights , just a pain to get it all set up. :confused:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Like I said earlier, if you’ve got the space to put it permanently, that’s much more convenient. Sure, the folding booths are intended as being portable, but if I had to set mine up every time I wanted to take some photos I wouldn’t be posting many on here, I know that :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
My goose neck holder for my ring light arrived. Good and solid for the price. As I said my set up is like Jakko's, two side lights and a down light, but having the ring light fixed is so much easier.
P1070661.JPG

P1070657.JPG

Seems to work very well. An early attempt at a stand alone figure.
P1070658.JPG

A plane which shouldn't have yellow prop tips but looks pretty!
P1070660.JPG

I also took onboard Jakko's suggestion to photograph from further away and then crop the image. I use a free programme called Paintnet.

Thanks Jakko.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That light on the wall is so much easier than my solution of hanging one of the spotlights from a bit of wire :smiling3: