Modelling Plans for 2023

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
What are your plans for 2023 builds?

My plan is as follows:

Finish the last three of my 1/48 mainly WW2 prop builds, the Tamiya G4M1 Betty will be done and finished by the end of this week and I will then work on the ICM B26B-50 Invader followed by the HKM Lancaster.

At my current build rate I would expect the have those done by February and will get back to 1/32 with the planned builds in the following order:
Zoukei Mura J2M3 Raiden
Trumpeter Lockheed P-38L-5-LO Lightenng
Hobbyboss B24D Liberator

After that I have not decided on an order but I have the following in the stash:
Border Lancaster
Zoukei Mura Bf109G-14
Zoukei Mura Kawasaki Ki-45 Kai Ho Toryu
ICM Yak 9
Revell Hurricane IIb

Or, after the B24, I just might do a few more 1/48 builds with the following kits stashed:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom
Tamiya F14A Tomcat
Academy Sea Harrier FA2
AMK Mig31 Bm/BSM
Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S2-C

As for kit purchases I am really looking forward to the following kits that have been announced.
1/32 scale
Italari Folgore
Kotore Spitfire Mk1, but I am minded to hold out for the late version to build Bobby Oxspring’s aircraft.
HKM Havoc, but I really would prefer the Boston version.

I have no solid plans to build more 1/48 kits as it really is not a scale that I appreciate, that said I might well be tempted by the RAF version of the Bucc that was announced today. Also if Tamiya produce a F15 or F18 in 1/48 I may be tempted.

I really want a Spey engined Phantom II as well, preferably in 1/32 (HKM?) or 1/48 (Airfix)

Over to you….

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Looks like you have some nice projects for us in 2023 Barry :thumb2:

Wish I could say the same, I'm not able to free up any time for the hobby at the moment, feeling very frustrated with that as my mind is filled with all sorts of projects...

I have a 1/24 bf109 still waiting for paint and some 1/48 finished jet-pilots waiting for a jet...

Hope I can finish at least 1 build this year, fingers crossed...

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I'm in 3 group builds planned for the first half of this year - emergency services (ICM WW1 ambulance), TV and a film (Star Wars fighter jet) and Pacific war (model TBC)

I'm also finishing off an Airfix 1/72 Stuka model.

After that I'm going to try and work on some models I added to my stash and practise new techniques.

I really enjoyed last year which was my first year modelling and I want to learn as much as I can this year and this will only come with practise.

I might even try painting some figures I have in my stash which came with some models I bought.

Truth is, I'm on such a learning curve, this year isn't long enough to build everything I want to.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Best laid plans....
Look up at the stash. Um and ha for an hour or five. Pick a box, open it and rummage about in the parts. Put lid back on. Put box back on shelf.
Another um and Ha session. bla bla repeat four to five times.
Go watch a film.
Several days later buy something else and put that in the stash. Remove a box to make room in the stash. Build that.
Simple.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My forward projection is very similar to Mikes :thumb2: I’m in the same three group builds, with an ambulance, a bust, and a 1/48 plane, and will be continuing with the little blokes in between. I’m sure I’ll find something else to build though……I’d like to shrink the stash a bit…..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
On reflection the GB's are good in more ways than one. I can 'nearly always' find something that ties in with a GB, Have to admit the three so far planed for this year are having me stumped.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
My kids dont stay with me the weekends now as there of the age where getting drunk with their mates is a better option so i have a spare room, my plan this year is to have a good clear out and turn that into the modelling room,at the moment the bench is in the living room spraybooth in the kitchen and stash in the bedroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great post Barry! My plans for 2023 are not set in stone yet, but could be as follows:

1. Live till the end of the year...
2. Finish my 2 projects (1/2 track GB and Berlin Panther) first...
3. Build a WnW DFW C.V or the Halberstadt CL.II as practice in WWI biplanes with decaling and rigging them...
4. Maybe join the Movie GB and have a go at a 1/25 car model, if I can get the wheels for it. Last car model was 50 years ago...
5. Try and finish some shelf queens in between (got plenty)...
6. Thin the stash out and not buy (m)any new kits. Accessoires are OK though...
7. In September, build my dream kit of the WnW's Hansa-Brandenburg W.29...

If all else fails, refer to #1...

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My plan: finish the JPK 120, preferably sooner rather than later, perhaps then either finish the M32B1 with mine roller or build something else before early March, then build something for the group build I organised myself, and after that … who knows? :smiling3:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
I’ve got a Wessex to build in the Emergency GB and have another entry planned for the Pacific GB.

Apart from that I have a couple of started builds I want to finish but no other firm plans :thinking:

I will just see what I fancy once I’ve (hopefully) completed the above.

Geoff.

Reactions: JR

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
build more than i buy (almost managed it in 2022)
build a series of race cars/rally cars for a project ive long been planning
build a display case for same project

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've learned the hard way never to plan anything in advance.

Model making? The best I can wish for is to stay on the planet long enough to finish the build on my bench at the moment.

Anything after that is a very nice bonus......

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I've learned the hard way never to plan anything in advance.

Model making? The best I can wish for is to stay on the planet long enough to finish the build on my bench at the moment.

Anything after that is a very nice bonus......
Staying on the planet is always a good plan….

That is, of course helped by having things to look forward to and in my case it’s two holidays this year, a Mediterranean cruise in April and a couple of weeks in the USA, in Wisconsin to be exact where I will meet my ladyfriends family for the first time and it will be her first visit home for five years or so.

Having a plan for my hobby, kits to build and buy plus an idea of what and when to build them is all part of ‘staying on the planet’ because you need things to look forward to in the short term not just the big long term holiday things.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
My main objective for 2023 is to move to the new house, where my bench and stash are waiting for me.
About staying on the planet: I cannot imagine how would be modelling at 0 gravity... and what carpet space monster would look like... :smiling: :tongue-out3::upside:

• Haha

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I'd like to finish my extended Red Ball dio, also complete my Werkstatt group & display it on the same base. I also have an upgrade kit for a ROCO BW Fuchs in the stash to do, my redo of the WWII Quarry dio & the other WWII US Combat Engineer Battalion elements always beckon.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Looking forward to all these builds Barry, be sure to keep posting your build logs..

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Well, I'm hoping to nudge my retirement plans along a bit by reducing my summertime hours at work - already sown the seed on that one. The reduction in income coupled with a little more time should result in me joining the ranks of those set on completing more than we buy. Maybe. Fingers crossed. So I need to stop looking at 'spots on the Internet'....

I'm also hoping my 2020 holiday that got cancelled first due to a certain pandemic and last year due to worries over a certain leader's expansion plans might also happen this year, if not then I have an alternative in mind.

My main modelling aim is to improve the finish I achieve without taking forever about it! Some hope, eh?

Nick