Modelling Putty

B

BobbyRay

Here's a real dumb newbie question...

What consistency should I expect modelling putty to be?

I bought my first ever tube of putty (Italieri) and it comes out like paint rather than a mouldable putty like I was expecting. Fine for brushing into gappy seams, but not much else.

Is it a duff tube or past its shelf life? Or is it meant to be like this?

Any pointers appreciated.....

:hmmm:

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Sounds like it could be past it's shelf life if it's not setting, I use Squadron green putty, I used it the other day first time in ages and it worked fine, comes out like paste dries quite quick ready for sanding.

B

BobbyRay

Thanks John - confirms my suspicions. I'll head for the Squadron shelf next time.

W

wolfflarsen

\ said:
Here's a real dumb newbie question...What consistency should I expect modelling putty to be?

I bought my first ever tube of putty (Italieri) and it comes out like paint rather than a mouldable putty like I was expecting. Fine for brushing into gappy seams, but not much else.

I have been experimenting and trying to find a filler that works for me. I have had some success with Squadron putty and thinning it with acetone for finer fills.

I have had limited success with Microbubbles and super glue.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Squadron putty every time,the brand market leader,it sounds as if you have a faulty tube there minus some important part of the formulae,send it back to the manufacturers for attention,they need to know.

\ said:
Here's a real dumb newbie question...What consistency should I expect modelling putty to be?

C

Corsair74

\ said:
Squadron putty every time,the brand market leader,it sounds as if you have a faulty tube there minus some important part of the formulae,send it back to the manufacturers for attention,they need to know.
just getting back into modeling and i puttied the seams and sanded them but i think i made a mess of my model.

could someone point me to a sanding tutorial? i scratched the surface of my model something awful while sanding it after puttying. i have 600-1500 grit and i bought a polishing stick (cuticle polisher) for finer areas.

after painting, i can still see my sloppy putty job underneath.

should i have wet the sandpaper? any tips are appreciated!! thanks so much.