Monogram Kingfisher OS2U

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Monogram Kingfisher OS2U - 1/48

Ok. Here we go. First look at this one and I think it's going to be a challenge. Sort of the "Silk Purse / Sows Ear" type thing. At first glance there doesn't seem to be much in the way of component parts which, in itself isn't a problem. But there's going to be a bit of artistic licence and scratchbuild involved to make anything of it.

I've decided to build one of the two planes Lend Leased to the USSR in 1944 so I'm researching exactly what they looked like and spec changes (if any).

Now the kit. The mouldings are dark blue and I find difficult. Greys are much easier on the eye. So a light primer at some point later on. The two problem areas I've already seen are the fuselage halves are moulded with the main float attached. So there are going to be a whole load of seam joins to deal with and I can see some detail scribing coming up. I think I might look at cutting through the supports and detaching the float then re-attaching it with some support pins.... Might be easier to work on. We will see.

The other thing is the engine detail. Or rather the lack of it. (Maybe the "photo etch will liven it up a little ???? So I've procured from mebay a Resin Engine which I'll graft into the front end somehow. It's not the genuine article it's a "Dauntless Engine for a Hasegawa Kit" but it's a nine cylinder jobbie and looks pretty close to the photos and spec for the Kingfisher engine....

Finally, There is a detail up resin kit still available from US for the cockpit. I might, but at $30 I'm not sure if I want to go down that route for what is after all a cheap kit. I'll see how it goes. I might just scratch some detail.

I'll post some more once the is some progress.

Peter

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looks very interesting some nice added extras to happy building :hammer:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice choice peter. I love the old monogram kits , probably cause they were considered very good when i was a nipper!! They can still give a good result with a bit of updating/work so i'll be watching this one with interest . The detail does look a bit simplified but i'm sure with the help of the P.E. fret and a bit of scratching it'll come out fine , plus youre doing it in soviet markings so that was bound to reel me in !!! The idea of detaching the float and re attaching later will definitely ease the cleaning up of the seams . looking forward to seeing this come together , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks to be a good base kit for this project Peter. The dark blue moulds, what were they thinking? Look forward to seeing this one develop.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
According to the destructions........ Interior paint is "Zinc Chromate" ......... But they were green inside. The best I've come up with thus far is what the Americans refer to as "European Green" ????? I've also heard it refered to as "Dull Green". It looks to me, from a couple of photos I found of a refbuild that it isn't far off Nato Green........ any thoughts, anyone ??????

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If I am not totally in the wrong I think that the Zinc Chromate used by the USA was a quite bright yellow colour.

Found this on here: http://www.scale-models.co.uk/painting/10024-zinc-chromate-vs-chromate-green.html

Ian M

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
This what I mean Ian........... There just doesn't seem to be a lot of yellow going on.

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I see your point Peter. I think that the photo you have found is probably of a restored one.

I guess its just try to find either a photo of an unrestored one or match the colour in the photo you have.

IanM

First Name
Dave
I built this kit 2 years ago.Theres a build thread on here somewhere.I did my interior yellow chromate.Then I found out they where painted green after I'd glued the fuselage halves together!.Dont know the exact shade of green.But definitely not yellow

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
The green looks like a grey green to me, particularly as a comparison to the black on the instrument panel and antenna...... Unless it's bad lighting. Possibly almost a "German Grey".

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
\ said:
Try interior green with a dark wash afterwards should look ok
I'll give that a go .........Thanks.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Progress is slow on this one. I seem to get so little time, there is alsways something else to do. Still I've managed a bit of progress (this photo etch stuff is a bit of a trial). The engine detail and fron cowl is nearly finished and the prop is painted. Now I'm sorting out a little scratch building some detail into the rear cockpit. Hopefully over the weekend I'll have a little to show for it and I'll paste up some photos.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
I spent pretty much all of yesterday masking up the canopies on this one. Five separate pieces and each one has more clear panels than you can "shake a sick at" .................. Loads of little strips of masking tape and I hate it.....

.....and now it's even money whether or not I've done a proper job after I've painted them and taken the take off ????

Peter

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
At last........ Some Progress.

So far, Front and Rear Cockpits are done (those itty bitty buckles were a right pain). I decided to take Ian's advice and go for the dark wash. I sort of made one. Some Black and Royal Blue mixed with rather a lot of IPA........ and dry brushed it. I wanted a bit of "grubbiness" as I figured the Soviets in 1944 were probably far more interested in keeping the planes flying, slotting some Germans and having a cabbage or turnip to boil up for dinner than they were a bit of dirt kicking around. Strangely, this kit didn't appear to come with a control column (wasn't in the destructions????) So I made one.

30mm Gun for the rear cockpit.

The canopies are going to need a bit of a clean up............. But I'm fairly happy how the masking turned out.

Cheers to All

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
This looks like a great subject - masking canopies, I feel the pain...

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Fuselage and wings in. A bit of a struggle getting it all square but I think I managed it. There isn't much in the way of gap in any of the joins but I've brushed some primer on the joints so I can see where I need to be filling and then sanding.

Sanding ???? Now that is a bit of a dilemma. All of the panel lines are raised on this kit rather than engraved. So sanding across the joints is going to lose some detail. How am I going to deal with that ?????

Peter

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Mask as much of the detail as you can to protect it.

takeslousyphotos

First Name
Peter
Well I think I've had a bit of a result with this........... After putting some primer on the joints and some light sanding I really don't think I need to be resorting to much in the way of filler. I reckon a combination of the joins being a good fit. a lot of work during the "dryfit" and a pretty good attempt with the cement has paid off.

Next step. Mask up the cockpit areas and a light coat of primer all over.

Peter