Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
In no particular order:
  • Trumpeter 1/35 KRIEGSLOKOMOTIVE BR52
  • Bronco 1/35 Versuchwagen 8.8cm Flak
  • Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther
These are all my most recent builds, and I think my slight advancement in modelling skills have meant they are some of the first models to come out how I pictured them.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
In no particular order:
  • Trumpeter 1/35 KRIEGSLOKOMOTIVE BR52
  • Bronco 1/35 Versuchwagen 8.8cm Flak
  • Meng 1/35 Jagdpanther
These are all my most recent builds, and I think my slight advancement in modelling skills have meant they are some of the first models to come out how I pictured them.

And they are most excellently done too Jack!!!! Most excellently done............................

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hmmm, most of my builds were pleasurable really, but three do stand out the most. First was a last production Panther G built by M.A.N, down the road from where I live, in Nuremberg Germany in March '45,

View attachment 457845
Very Pleasurable because it was the first GB project I finished inside the timeframe......Next is a wing thingy of a Heinkel He-162 prototype. Had the kit in the stash for some years and then, at a show, I found a reference book for it. In it, I saw 2 pics of the first He-162 built by Junkers in Bernberg, Saxony and had to build it from the pics,

View attachment 457846
The pics re-awakened my early love for wing thingy's in large scale. The serial number designates the first one built and the 300 prefix was the Junker factory number. No camo on this prototype and the cannons in the fuselage were dummies. First and only time I tried to recreate a model from an actual picture......The most pleasurable build was my Fz. 105 Styer 2000A generator wagon used to supply the juice for tests and launching V2 rockets. Only the Tamiya Steyr kit (very modified) and a resin generator kit from Leadwarrior were used. The rest was all scratchy,

View attachment 457847
I used 13 B/W photos as there are no plans or blueprints for this vehicle to be found and the Gusgofast Guesstimation Measurement System to build it. A year later, new photos surfaced and I have gutted the interior to rebuild it correctly (cabinet where the back seat normally sits, is wrong). Gotta love this hobby!!!......Thanks Mr. Smiff for starting this post.....

Prost
Allen
Love that Panther!!....even has the eighth station stamped steel road wheel!!! :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hmmm, most of my builds were pleasurable really, but three do stand out the most. First was a last production Panther G built by M.A.N, down the road from where I live, in Nuremberg Germany in March '45,

View attachment 457845
Very Pleasurable because it was the first GB project I finished inside the timeframe......Next is a wing thingy of a Heinkel He-162 prototype. Had the kit in the stash for some years and then, at a show, I found a reference book for it. In it, I saw 2 pics of the first He-162 built by Junkers in Bernberg, Saxony and had to build it from the pics,

View attachment 457846
The pics re-awakened my early love for wing thingy's in large scale. The serial number designates the first one built and the 300 prefix was the Junker factory number. No camo on this prototype and the cannons in the fuselage were dummies. First and only time I tried to recreate a model from an actual picture......The most pleasurable build was my Fz. 105 Styer 2000A generator wagon used to supply the juice for tests and launching V2 rockets. Only the Tamiya Steyr kit (very modified) and a resin generator kit from Leadwarrior were used. The rest was all scratchy,

View attachment 457847
I used 13 B/W photos as there are no plans or blueprints for this vehicle to be found and the Gusgofast Guesstimation Measurement System to build it. A year later, new photos surfaced and I have gutted the interior to rebuild it correctly (cabinet where the back seat normally sits, is wrong). Gotta love this hobby!!!......Thanks Mr. Smiff for starting this post.....

Prost
Allen
Love the Heinkel! Lovely stuff all round though mate.
Steve

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Rick, Very few built in March 45' before the factory was bombed severely by the allies. The German Waffenamt never officially gave it the "stamp of approval" to be issued to the troops, but it ended up in combat here in Bavaria until the end anyway.............

Thank you too Steve!!! Junkers had an underground factory in Bernberg and built the 162 under license from Heinkel. I used to deliver electric vehicles we made, to Bernberg, for use in the salt mine(s) under the town. Never got to go underground to have a look around and the workers never talked about the history of the mine(s) either......

Prost
Allen

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
HI Ian have you no pics of your R/N aircraft as would like to see them ?
chrisb
If you have a dig through the completed aircraft section I am sure you will find most of them...as Andy pointed out at the start of this thread, it is not a show and tell.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Several come to mind, the T34 , going through a factory wall and crushing a German Gun.
The Bunker with lights , and the Russian self-propelled gun inside a house with snow .
Hard really to pick as really enjoyed doing the dioramas .

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Pleasurable does not necessarily mean the easiest, most modern tooling or the most accurate, not that I have problems with any of these. Neither does it mean my favourite subject….

Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane
B8808195-7C2B-415B-A86A-46779EC8C01E.jpeg

Trumpeter 1/32 Dauntless
32697629-0C55-4870-9C31-204F3AF2E676.jpeg

HobbyBoss 1/32 Sturmovik
99A34E36-CA0E-46F4-8461-125B06071CCB.jpeg

The last two pictured are the first build of each I did.

Note that none are Tamiya who produce the best kits I have ever built and all three are from the Trumpy/Hobbyboss stable. I do find it a little odd that those builds I remember most fondly are from a mid-range manufacturer with something of a mixed reputation…

That said a honourable mention must go to the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair which was an amazing kit, a joy to build and among the best aircraft models ever produced. It just missed out by a whisker in being one of the above.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry just lookin through your build an fantastic they are but what got me wondering was the dauntless's national markin's what country is the markin representing as ive never seen these roundels before ? please exsuse my ignorance on this suject
chrisb

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
These were used in the Far East at one point for FAA aircraft on RN carriers working closely with US Navy aircraft. If memory serves me right this particular aircraft was a New Zealander. It was a long time back and if I can find a thread for this one which confirms the unit I will post it.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
These were used in the Far East at one point for FAA aircraft on RN carriers working closely with US Navy aircraft. If memory serves me right this particular aircraft was a New Zealander. It was a long time back and if I can find a thread for this one which confirms the unit I will post it.
OK Cheers Barry now thats put my wondering to rest
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not replied to this so far because I was looking for a picture of something…….and mostly I make little blokes so I’m not sure if they count as builds….

Anyway, my first entrant to this hall of fame …..The doggies….
56028007-B0FF-4AA4-8424-89E91E9A23EF.jpeg
Enjoyed them from start to finish. Lots of assembly here as well. Each rider and steed is made up of about a dozen parts.

Next up, my most recent little blokes….specifically the king….
832AFC6D-57CA-4CDD-8B9C-05448E0663AD.jpeg
84B8C43F-E9AC-4867-9030-CA875F2E849B.jpeg
Much simpler one piece sculpt….but he simply flowed from start to finish…..and I finally worked out how to shade and highlight red…..

Lastly, a real blast from the past……something from twenty years ago….my last railway model….
365EBA2E-5199-438F-B2A5-9A545AAC2FB7.jpeg
This was a collaboration effort as part of the Sarum finescale group. My contributions were the huge goods shed in the background (unfinished in this image), based on Heston Norris in Manchester, some of the rolling stock in front of it, and (I think, might be wrong after all this time) the scratchbuilt three way point in the foreground. This is a 4mm/foot (1/76.2) scale model railway running on accurately gauged 18.83 mm track. All track was hand built as correct off the shelf track is just not made. It isn’t OO, which runs on 16.5 mm track. It was built and exhibited as part of the scaleforum challenge, which was a competition organised by the The Scalefour society. The rules being that it had to be no more than 18.83 square foot in area. It was exhibited at their annual exhibition and was the pinnacle of my railway modelling experience. Funnily enough, once we had built and exhibited it the itch seemed to get scratched and I rapidly lost interest in the genre…..great fun being part of a creative team that actually built something worthwhile though.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THAT railway layout looks very real Tim if we wasnt in the model site an you just put on this pic i would have taken it for a real rail yard brilliantly done AS are your figigures :thumb2:
chrisb

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Think my top three most enjoyable builds where firstly my A26b invader 1/48 from revell,it was just nice to build with no issues and came out pretty much have I was hoping it would look, then the eduard 1/72 mig 21 ,that was just a lovely little kit, and lastly the icm wot 8 truck, was just really happy with the end result as my weathering skills where very limited(and still are).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
THAT railway layout looks very real Tim if we wasnt in the model site an you just put on this pic i would have taken it for a real rail yard brilliantly done AS are your figigures :thumb2:
chrisb
Cheers Chris. I’m not laying claim to all of it by any means, just my bits :tongue-out3: It was very much a joint effort with at least eight people working on it. The baseboards were made by my dentist…..a very rigid complex plywood structure. Two people could lift it easily with one hand each though….it weighed very little. Pity it was built in the days before mobile phone cameras and internet because this is the only photo I can find of it:disappointed2: