Mud techniques

L

Laurie

Wow John are you sure you are not kidding us about being a starter in model making.

That is looking very nice. Always smile when I see photos. Typical British Army form them selves in to little family groups. Self contianed units.

Laurie

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
Airbrushed pigments mixed with varnish, gives good control and can be put down from the finest "dust" to building it up into thick caked on mud.For really heavy mud you can mix the pigment poweders with varnish into a thick goop and brush is out onto the 'victim'.

Ian M
I'm tempted to try this Ian, is clean up just with water? This would be taking the first step of thinned tamiya buff to a new level if followed up with a pigment spray.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Wow John are you sure you are not kidding us about being a starter in model making.That is looking very nice. Always smile when I see photos. Typical British Army form them selves in to little family groups. Self contianed units.

Laurie
Ha ha! No, really, the fact that I've been fooling around with hairy sticks and paint for the best part of 45 years must be to my advantage, but thanks anyway! It's scary how quickly my dedicated digital video editing studio has become a proper man-cave, filled with paintbrushes, jars and all the other detritus we associate with modelling! I found myself, the other day thinking: "here I am, at 60, basically making mud pies!",

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I use Vallejo white paste and add any mud colours to get the desired effect the paste looks like tooth paste with sand added and it can be diluted with water for different thicknesses

D

Dave Garrett

couldn't you just dig a mud patch in the garden add water to it and use it as needed then varnish it when it's dry ???

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
couldn't you just dig a mud patch in the garden add water to it and use it as needed then varnish it when it's dry ???
I'm a fan of using sifted dirt.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
I use the real stuff ground down and then sieved through an old pair of tights. This gives a very fine powder that is then mixed with Vallejo gloss/ semi gloss varnish. Using the real thing saves a bit of money and is always on tap no worry about running out half way through a job.
That's what I'd have thought ......... Using real Mud. It looks like Mud ....... and it's free :rolleyes:

Peter

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well Peter ,Dave,there is one of the companies that do that very thing use real mud and sell it,

I have never used it myself,but,with us only having sandy soil,would be good to have some real mud

to use,

must find someone who lives out of town,and dose have soil,not sand, ;)

\ said:
\ said:
That's what I'd have thought ......... Using real Mud. It looks like Mud ....... and it's free :rolleyes:Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I'm tempted to try this Ian, is clean up just with water?
I clean as normal as there is also varnish and or thinners in the mix. I start with a good flush with water. I have a squeeze bottle that I literally squirt the water into the bowl of the airbrush. Once 99% clean I get the last of it with the ab cleaners.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Being an art teacher John, I would have thought you would have also known the washing powder trick...

Cheap artists acrylics, mixed with soap powder makes a good "terrain" might be a bit thick for detailing a model, but great for a base.

(learned that from my art teacher ;) )

Ian M

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Being an art teacher John, I would have thought you would have also known the washing powder trick...Cheap artists acrylics, mixed with soap powder makes a good "terrain" might be a bit thick for detailing a model, but great for a base.

(learned that from my art teacher ;) )

Ian M
Hah! Never heard of that one before, I worked in an art college, where we did have some budget, schools are ingenious at sourcing cheap or free materials. Would be tempted to give it a go, but my soil based recipe is working well for me at the moment. My next test is to see if it will "keep" in a sealed pot, for later use. Am guessing a drop or two of retarder should help.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Apart from tile adhesive, which you don't need to layer. I'm a firm believer in using what nature provides...Be it foliage, trees, anything growing, soil and mud too!

To each his own, and no doubt good fun, but why buy stuff to try and make something that is already readily available....Just look down!

Here endeth the lesson, the collection plate is by the door as you leave, thank you......