My 1st Kit since returning to the hobby (Tamiya Jeep 1/35)

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello all, I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I wasn't sure and I hope it's okay with me making a thread.

I was a keen modeller in my teens (until I discovered girls) and this Tamiya Willy's Jeep in 1/35 scale marks my return to the hobby!
I will try to post four images, the left two are from a couple of days ago and the right two are as of today.

It's almost done, just a couple of more pieces on it, a little more painting and then the decals and we're done. it's been very fun to do but I am aware of several mistakes that I've made during the build but that's how we learn right? (I even broke two tiny pieces with my damn clumsy hands but managed to glue them together)

also I never used to paint my models in the 70's so this is the first time I've painted one. it's quite messy as you can see but not too bad for a first go. I've been trying to make it dirty like it's been in service a few months rather than just out of the factory.

I will add a couple of final images when it's complete. thanks for looking

Attachments

• j1.png
    j1.png
    441.7 KB · Views: 35
  • j2.png
    j2.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 33
  • j3.png
    j3.png
    530.5 KB · Views: 35
  • j4.png
    j4.png
    417.2 KB · Views: 36

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Steve.
Can’t beat the good ol’ Willis Jeep. And don’t worry about the odd mishap. It’s how we overcome such setbacks that really matters. The Jeep looks great so far and I look forward to seeing it finished.

Welcome back to the hobby :thumb2:
ATB
Paul

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
What sort of paint are you using Steve? Water based acrylics are more popular now..........they don't smell like enamels & clean up & thinning is easier! Weathering is always tricky - knowing when to stop! I always find it helpful to put the model aside for a day or two & try to look at it with fresh eyes..............
Dave

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You're kiddin'! ;)
Being your first model in decades and first ever paint job, you're pretty good at that! Well done. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Thank you, you're very kind. actually as I knew I wanted to paint it, I've spent the past two weeks watching youtube videos on it hoping to pick up lots of hints and tips.

Nice work Steve.
Can’t beat the good ol’ Willis Jeep. And don’t worry about the odd mishap. It’s how we overcome such setbacks that really matters. The Jeep looks great so far and I look forward to seeing it finished.

Welcome back to the hobby :thumb2:
ATB
Paul

Thank you!

What sort of paint are you using Steve? Water based acrylics are more popular now..........they don't smell like enamels & clean up & thinning is easier! Weathering is always tricky - knowing when to stop! I always find it helpful to put the model aside for a day or two & try to look at it with fresh eyes..............
Dave

I'm using Vallejo acrylics. I bought a couple of the military sets off amazon. That's a good tip. Thank you!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One thing I should have said - varnish your newly painted model - that way if you make a rickets whilst weathering, you can remove the offending paint, without affecting the underlying base colour - and when you've finished, seal all in with a thin varnish coat..............
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
If I haven't said so already Steve then 'Welcome to the site' mate!
Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That looks great Steve. I took up the hobby after I retired in 2010 and this was the very first kit I built. It didn't turn out as well as yours.
. it's been very fun to do .....
That's the most important thing - the FUN!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A great looking model.

Your first for a very long time? Even more impressive!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks good Steve. Nice job for a first one back……the seats in particular have a good “lived in” look about them.

Sprue42

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ralph
Hi Steve,

Like you, I am a returnee, unlike you, I have not started building yet, as I am trying to finish building our workshop, between the rain and wind. I was hoping to be in by now...

That looks really good to me. The first thing that struck me were those seats, you have got them to look like leather and not like painted plastic, they look great. If that is your first time painting, I can't wait to see what follows

I like the idea of building something small to start with. I was thinking about the Tamiya pink SAS Land Rover. At the risk of increasing my stash, still further, you may well have inspired me to follow that route.

Ralph

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
One thing I should have said - varnish your newly painted model - that way if you make a rickets whilst weathering, you can remove the offending paint, without affecting the underlying base colour - and when you've finished, seal all in with a thin varnish coat..............
Dave

Oops! too late now but I'll take that onboard for my next model! Thank you.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a pretty good effort, even without considering it’s your first in a long time.

One tip I have for future models is not to paint rubber parts black, but use a very dark grey instead. Real rubber tyres are rarely actually black, unless they’re brand-new or wet — look at cars, for example. Many manufacturers sell a very dark grey specifically as a “rubber” or “tyre” colour, which are good to use for them instead. I like to apply a coat of black Indian ink (the kind sold in art stores, for drawing) thinned about 1:1 or 1:2 with water over the grey to enhance the rubber look, but just the grey will look better than pure black already.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That’s a pretty good effort, even without considering it’s your first in a long time.

One tip I have for future models is not to paint rubber parts black, but use a very dark grey instead. Real rubber tyres are rarely actually black, unless they’re brand-new or wet — look at cars, for example. Many manufacturers sell a very dark grey specifically as a “rubber” or “tyre” colour, which are good to use for them instead. I like to apply a coat of black Indian ink (the kind sold in art stores, for drawing) thinned about 1:1 or 1:2 with water over the grey to enhance the rubber look, but just the grey will look better than pure black already.
Oh! That is a very good tip! Thank you so much. Unfortunately it's really too late to repaint them now as they're glued on but I will certainly bear this in mind for all my future builds!

in fact I've just ordered some. Thanks for that!

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work steve , looks great . Cheers tony