My Answer to the Quiz is...

D

duncan

*** Like most Scottish products Duncan' date='built to last,just look at Scottish Aviation aircraft,good example.These old sailing ships need saving before it is too late,the only answer is to replace the timber piece-meal bit by bit,large wooden dowels,steel pins the lot.[/quote']Difficult with the metal that has been exposed to sea-water all its life. I`ve been told by someone in Portsmouth Yard that only about 15% of HMS Victory is original. Some sort of sea-worm goes for timber ships. Sadly SAL was just another aviation firm, I`d rather remember the Clyde shipbuilding heritage and heavy engineering, railway locomotives etc. Innovation and invention.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Difficult with the metal that has been exposed to sea-water all its life. I`ve been told by someone in Portsmouth Yard that only about 15% of HMS Victory is original. Some sort of sea-worm goes for timber ships. Sadly SAL was just another aviation firm' date=' I`d rather remember the Clyde shipbuilding heritage and heavy engineering, railway locomotives etc. Innovation and invention.[/quote']*** Was it Macintyre the managing director of SAL that lost his life when a Twin Pioneer lost a wing during a sales tour abroad ? sadly it set back the sales of this excellent product,real bad luck for the company,do you remember this incident Duncan ?

D

duncan

Yes I was at Prestwick at that time. Used have lunch occaisionally in the SAL staff canteen. The incident cast a great gloom over the whole of Scotland. The aircraft in question was on a sales trip to Libya and no doubt being hard worked doing STOL take-offs and landings on rough terrain, but an identical (fatal) incident a few months earlier in Papua New Guinea should have warned everybody. The flaw was not exactly "main spar failure" as reported at the time but in the Y arrangement U/C and wing struts that failed, this led to wing failure. Have a look at attached pic.(from Old Props site) The loads on this area, flying and landing, must have taken a lot of punishment on the largely unmade strips. All six onboard were killed. Pioneers served in places like Aden, Malaya, Borneo with the RAF and in dozens of other 3rd world countries in civilian use.

View attachment 7448

/monthly_2005_01/57272b6d93fc1_Twin20Pioneer20G-APRS3.jpg.0bd5cc1dcfae9e5c8dbcb86f504e3451.jpg

View attachment 12743

Twin%20Pioneer%20G-APRS3.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes I was at Prestwick at that time. Used have lunch occaisionally in the SAL staff canteen. The incident cast a great gloom over the whole of Scotland. The aircraft in question was on a sales trip to Libya and no doubt being hard worked doing STOL take-offs and landings on rough terrain' date=' but an identical (fatal) incident a few months earlier in Papua New Guinea should have warned everybody. The flaw was not exactly "main spar failure" as reported at the time but in the Y arrangement U/C and wing struts that failed, this led to wing failure. Have a look at attached pic.(from Old Props site) The loads on this area, flying and landing, must have taken a lot of punishment on the largely unmade strips. All six onboard were killed. Pioneers served in places like Aden, Malaya, Borneo with the RAF and in dozens of other 3rd world countries in civilian use.[/quote']*** Duncan,this accident was a carbon copy of the 'Spirit of St Louis' replica that crashed around here a couple of years ago,a botch repair on a lift strut caused the failure at the Y joint as well,to have undercarriage loads transmitted to the wing like this is not really a good idea,when you look at what holds the wings onto a full size aircraft, and you realise the importance of the distribution of loads it also brings home the importance of structural integrity as well,as you say the stresses of lots of short landings and take offs was probably a leading part played in the failure of that Twin Pioneer wing.

K

Kiwi

At the risk of being a killjoy, this thread has gone WAY off topic. Was the Victory (and it's nails) an obscure aircraft that I somehow missed? Did I also miss the Twin Pioneer being posted (in the canteen??) as well? Perhaps this would be better dealt with in a general thread, leaving this thread for quiz answers.

D

duncan

Touche` Kiwi..I think we went to awol about #18 when I went all Scot Nat about Cutty Sark,the ship, and decaying artifacts ad nausieum (my Latin is p**h poor too !). Typical of my meandering on the web ,look for Brazilian Air Force and I end up on the site of a little known purple and orange parrot native to the Peruvian mountains. Sorry. One of my trips involved a search for your alligator-snout `plane...apart from taking me up the Amazon and Limpopo again, I got lost in the world of the Seaplane Assns. of Europe but found the jpeg attached.:angel:

View attachment 7449

/monthly_2005_01/57272b6d94fb0_lake20hai.jpg.d0a4657490ce527bb70789d122bc37e0.jpg

View attachment 12744

lake%20hai.jpg

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The recognition quiz seems to have come to a grinding halt for some reason ? which seems such a pity as it was creating so much interest out there and taxing our brains,perhaps we can identify the ones currently posted and start a fresh batch of pictures to try and identify.Thanks,Barry.

D

duncan

Peak of the ski season for me , dunno about Kiwi, peak of the beach season I suppose ! Anyway to keep you from wearying here is a lead to some gorgeous pics for wallpaper on your monitor, go to the Experimental Aviation Assn`s web site. Calendar and aircraft pic. Feb `05 is close-up of Pratt & Whitney radial on polished alloy plane. The one shown here is an unusual `duster/water-bomber. Link, www.eaa.org

View attachment 7464

/monthly_2005_02/waterdrop_1024.jpg.1a0dceeaaaad2a0e07a8920e63b3dc95.jpg

View attachment 12759

waterdrop_1024.jpg

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks for that interesting link Duncan,the aircraft with the floats is the Air Tractor AT.802A agricultural aircraft,you enjoy your ski-ing,spent the day myself trying to sort out my den as it was getting difficult to get through the door ! you have to do these things now and again.

K

Kiwi

# 25 is the Northrop X-4

#25 is the PZL M 15 Belphegor a jet biplane crop duster.

D

duncan

Not skiing Barry ..car parking ! We dont treat it like a sport here , more of a business opportunity.! Correct on first two Kiwi. I`ve forgotten how to post in the right slot..oh dear snow blindness....?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Not skiing Barry ..car parking ! We dont treat it like a sport here ' date=' more of a business opportunity.! Correct on first two Kiwi. I`ve forgotten how to post in the right slot..oh dear snow blindness....?[/quote']*** Gotcha Duncan ! dont blame you either,I see they are trying to put a total ban on flying seaplanes from the lochs,saying that they pollute the water etc the seaplane fraternity are up in arms about this,there are currently 10 seaplanes in Scotland,four of which are commercial operators,there are zillions of water polluting jet-ski's but they dont appear bothered with them ? such a great pity if this goes through,I hope not.

D

duncan

It seems to be one of those missed details of the Right to Roam act. You can now have access to the countryside but only on foot or horseback, no powered vehicles. On water same ,no powered craft , paddle or sail only. The law on trespass in Scotland was very different from English law but "they" would try and get you on "damage to crops" even if it was a blasted heath or bogs. Hope the seaplane guys win. Look up Aerofloat, his floats cost as much as the `plane! Sorry if this is off topic Kiwi, been stormed-off today so will try the backlog. That civvy German Henschel/Heinkel is annoying me. "Civvy" with a cannon through the spinner !!!

D

duncan

So back to business..#32, the one with Jugoslavian flag on fin is an Ikarus 451.

Last edited:
K

Kiwi

#27. Platt Le Page XR-1. Built for rescue and utility duties. Photo probably taken at Wright Field in the early 1940s. !00 mph top speed, 65 ft rotor span

D

duncan

#27. Platt Le Page XR-1. Built for rescue and utility duties. Photo probably taken at Wright Field in the early 1940s. !00 mph top speed' date=' 65 ft rotor span[/quote']Well done , correct X(experimental)R (rotary)1 (first of series). Look kind of Germanic to you ?