My first ever airbrushing

S

Stevekir

Because I don't want to spoil my first kit, I have been practising on some gash parts from an incomplete Airfix kit which I got from my Model Centre. I have been using:

Primer is Vallejo Acrylic-Polymer Surface Primer 73.601 (It says "Apply directly by airbrush at 20 cm", so I did not thin it).

Paint is Xtracrylix Dark Earth (for spitfires);

Airbrush cleaners are Xtracrylix Thinners, Medea Airbrush Cleaner, and Muc off (from Halfords);

Airbrush, Dual action, 0.3 mm needle. Cheap (£16, part of an offer!);

Air Compressor set at 40 psi;

Spray Booth (the popular collapsible portable one).

Parts: A wing, a torpedo 3" long, and a separate flat gash part, the first two glued, and filled with Mr. Surfacer 500. Each sanded carefully and cleaned with a wet wipe for spectacles.

I have watched movies of airbrushing and airbrush cleaning. Very useful.

Some questions please:

= 1 Is 40 psi too high?

----------------------------------

= 2 Should acrylic primer and paint be airbrushed on until it shows a glossy wet appearance during airbrushing, or with a lower flow so that it remains matt during airbrushing.

= 3 If primer and paint kept matt while airbrushing, would the coat be thick enough? Should a second be applied? (The strength of colour of a coat of coloured paint would of course give a clue to adequate coverage.)

The primer is almost the same colour as the plastic part and I found it difficult to judge how much paint had gone on.

= 4 Would it be a good idea to add (in the airbrush) a tiny amount of (water-based) food dye to colour it slightly?

---------------------------------

When painting the torpedo (a small object that gets blown away by the airbrush stream, rather than a complete aeroplane which probably doesn't), I used two loops of 6 mm Tamiya tape, each with the sticky side outside. Then I pressed the loops near the ends of the torpedo and then on to the paper towel covering the turntable. The torpedo still wobbled a lot during airbrushing. After the first AB pass on the torpedo and after the paint had dried, two more 120 degree turnings were needed for the rest of the surface. This required more loops of tape. A right fuss. (Blu-tack did not stick well to the paper.)

= 5 What's the best way to fix individual 3D objects while airbrushing, when they don't have a suitable hole for a toothpick or similar to keep them steady?

--------------------------------

I used a crunched paper towel to remove as much paint as possible from the AB cup, then cleaned the airbrush by running the Xtracrylix Thinners, then the Medea Airbrush Cleaner, through it until clear, also used a brush to clean the lower part of the paint cup. All looked OK. Then, after about an hour, I did the second then third stage of priming including cleaning the AB each time. But when I started to paint with the Dark Earth an hour later, very little came out. I had to disassemble the needle, wipe it, return it and re-clean. It had gummed up. I also brushed the nozzle with cleaner

= 6 Is it generally necessary to clean so thoroughly as often as that? (Acrylic does dry quickly.)

-------------------------------

= 7 Before each spraying episode with the AB, and again after using it, I dipped the nozzle into a crown cork holding some thinner, to avoid the nozzle drying. Is that a good idea, or am I being over cautious?

-------------------------------

Although I sanded and filled the seams until they looked good, the primer showed up some unevenness. It is surprising how careful you must be to fill and smooth perfectly (although the top, colour, coat smoothed things out a bit more).

Grateful for any help.

Last edited:
M

MrSprue

If I was going to leave the airbrush for an hour I would first give it the full a good clean, needle, tip etc. It doesn't take much dry, semi dry paint to restrict paint flow.

If you have attached small parts to say scrap sprue with blu tac, you can avoid blowing them off by using much lower air pressure, say 15 PSI.

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
40psi is far too high. I airbrush at no more than 30psi, most of the time nearer 20psi.

Lay the paint down in thin layers and build it up until you get the desired effect. Whatever you do , don't flood your model with paint or you will get runs.

Individual objects can be fixed to sprue's by blu-tac or, as I sometimes do, with a drop of superglue (it breaks away cleanly when finished). I also use lolly sticks with double sided tape to hold bits too.

Keep your airbrush clean. Try a drop or retarder in the paint to slow down drying and help achieve a smooth finish, it helps keep the tip clear. If I am going to 'break off' spraying even for 5 mins I will always run a cup of cleaner through the airbrush and wipe off the tip.

I would also prefer to err of the side of too much thinning than otherwise. Easier to build those layers up than to clear clogged airbrushes or to contend with an intermittent paint flow because it is too thick.

As for the colour of the primer - Vallejo have several primer colours to choose from. Why not have a couple of the (light) colours and decide on what colour to use depending on the plastic colour.

Some tips with the Vallejo Primer - it is very self-levelling and is excellent but make sure you leave it overnight to 'cure' properly and not just dry. You will find you get an excellent smooth and hard surface to work on. Also make sure any acrylic paint is left at least 24 hours before applying masking tape over it. This way you will avoid the problem of paint coming away when you remove the masking.

You might want to try the Vallejo Model Air paints. These are ideal for airbrush beginners, the paint is easy to dispense into the a/b cup from the eyedropper bottles and are already thinned though I would add a few drops of thinner before adding the paint to the cup. That reminds me - I also recommend using the thinner provided by the paint manufacturer as it is formulated specifically for those paints. Water, alcohol etc can change the pint properties and reduce their adhesion qualities.

The main rule is practise, practise and practise.... Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

m1ks

General rule of thumb for spraying

Thin the paint with proprietary thinner to the consistency of milk, (this is easy once you know what you're looking for), it's far far thinner than you'd mix for a spraygun in a bodyshop, (Something I used to do), but then it's going through a 0.3mm (typically) nozzle as opposed to a 1.5.

I use medicine cups to decant and thin then decant to the airbrush cup as you can see how well mixed and the consistency through the translucent sides.

get something like that and put in some milk and have a play around with a paintbrush in there, swipe some up the sides and watch the behaviour, you'll note a translucent film coats the side but the bulk runs back into the cup, this is what you're aiming for, theres no magic ratio as unlike auto paints they don't seem to be as stringently QC'd.

Some Humbrol enamels for example wind up at 1:2 to get the correct consistency, some other paints 4:1, it's a suck it and see situation.

The spraying pressure is the consistent reading you get with the trigger depressed and pulled back, there will be a significant drop when you press the trigger so do this with the airbrush dry and hold the trigger to set the pressure.

Rough guide

Acrylics- Tamiya, Citadel, 15psi

Enamels- Humbrol, 20-25psi

You need enough pressure to draw the paint through and atomise it nicely so that it lands on the model allowing you to 'controllably' lay a wet coat without pooling, sagging and running, too low a pressure and the paint won't be drawn through sufficiently, too high and it will be hitting the surface, bouncing off, running and pooling and creating a mess. In the case of some paints quick to 'flash off' (evaporation of solvents), like Tamiya thinned with IPA this will cause the atomised paint to dry before hitting creating a sandy texture.

This along with a comfortable spraying distance from the piece is only achievable by practise.

It sounds daunting but get the mix right and the pressure in the right ballpark each time and the rest will come to you within a couple hours practise and you'll wonder why you didn't use airbrushes before now.

Most important is working with clean equipment, develop a routine and use it at the end of every session, this ensures that you have a brush ready to go the instant you take it from it's case.

My cleaning routine is here, once practised it can be completed in 10-15 min leaving a spotless brush every time.

[video=youtube;k9YnScCetDo]

T

tecdes

Wow Steve a bit of a list there but that is the way to do it.

My rules are to keep to the same manufacturer throughout the painting. Same Primer paint & varnish. Same thinner & same airbrush cleaner.

Used a lot of airbrush cleaner to begin with.

Now I strip down completely after a session & as soon as possible. I use warm water for all cleaning. I do not use any kitchen roll as it has bits on it which will clog the needle/nozzle. I use a brush in the paint spout & remove it as this is an item which has the most dried paint & just a little spec will again cause clogging. Get a set of brushes, not Harder & Steinbeck found them useless, for cleaning the airbrush needle tunnel ways. Also make sure the guard on the nozzle front is clear of paint as this will build & cause problems.

For the nozzle I used to use vigourously a reamer to help clean it until the supplier of my brush stuff told me in more kind words that I was an idiot as it would damage the very fragile nozzle. I place it in a small bottle of airbrush cleaner while I wash the brush pieces. Then rinse in water then with it filled with a drop of water blow through it & repeat if necessary until I see all the water spurting out the end. Then I sight thro against a white background to make sure the end is free & clean. Ream if not sure but gently.

I then put half a cup of airbrush cleaner into the brush & blow it thro to lubricate. When you use the brush next time make sure you blow air through the brush before use. After cleaning airbrush cleaner or water will drift down to the needle/nozzle & this needs expelling.

When you use Varnish, at least using Vallejo, clean immediately & with care as the stuff is the very devil to remove if you leave it any time.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

Thanks folks. Very helpful.

I have just cleaned my AB for the first time. I have seen advice to pull the needle from the front (after of course removing the two nozzle bits) to avoid pulling gunk back to the rear of the AB. However, for some reason, I could not push it forward. When inserting the needle again from the rear after cleaning, it met resistance at about the point when the point was in the cup area. I thought it had jammed but gave it a push and it went the whole way and the AB sprayed cleaner OK.

Perhaps there is an O ring at the entrance to the cup area? It felt like it, and logic would say that there needs to be one there.

Is that resistance normal?

T

tecdes

Steve I would not under any circumstances remove the needle for the back or reinsert it. At some point you will wreck the point on the needle.

I suspect the seals are a bit tight but a gentle push will do the job. Also before removing the nozzle & its cage bring the needle back into the airbrush body about an inch. It is so easy to wreck the needle when removing the nozzle. Also before screwing back the nozzle make sure the needle is withdrawn an inch or so.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

Thanks. Just the sort of expert advice that I need.:thumbsup:

S

Stevekir

The latest in the saga: When disassembling the AB for cleaning (needle out, the two nozzle bits also) a small metal plate fell out of the aperture which houses the trigger and despite hours of effort I cannot see how the blighter goes back in. It obviously prevented the trigger being pulled out when fully back (to the rear). I think it will still work but it was part of a good compressor package and cost separately only £16! So I will now re-comission my Aerograph super 63 (bought in 1963) which I think still works. (www.anythingairbrush.co.uk tell me that they will soon have spares for this oldie.)

Last edited:
M

m1ks

If you watch my cleaning video in the post above this covers both points you're enquiring about, removing the needle from the front and removing and assembling the trigger and plate, it's an s shape and only goes in one way, this being in the shape of an s when looking at the left of the brush, cup to your left and needle Chuck to your right. when inserted properly your brush trigger will work fine again.

Yes there will be a packing piece at the rear of the ab cup, this prevents leakage of paint back into the trigger chamber, it's normal for this to be a snug fit. It will be either a rubber o ring or a Teflon type seal.

Last edited:
S

Stevekir

m1ks:

I did look at your cleaning video which is very helpful indeed. Thank you for it. But I have watched it again and can't actually find any mention in it about "removing and assembling the trigger and plate". However, despite the loss of the bit that fell out, the AB seems to be working OK (I have sprayed paint with it). (It cost only £16! in a package-I'll get a good one sometime.)

But I'm curious about what was the purpose of the bit. There is no "s shape and only goes in one way, this being in the shape of an s when looking at the left of the brush, cup to your left and needle Chuck to your right", which you mention in your reply. Here is a pic of the bit:

View attachment 56182

It fell out of the cavity just in front of the trigger but I didn't see it in place before that. Its hole is too small to take the tiny rod which is hinged to the trigger's post. (The tiny rod's other end fits into a hole in the air supply at the bottom of that cavity.) Just for curiosity, any ideas what the purpose is/was of the bit?

View attachment 58277

Bit.jpg