My first real go at PE

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
This is my first go at using pe on a 1/48 spit the i am using is the second one i had from polux the other was the tarton spit i have now finished the cockpit with loads of pe in it and its my best looking spit cockpit so far,but here are the pics.Comments are welcome.

And aircraft i am using is a eduard mkIX c spit.

Peter t

View attachment 86949

View attachment 86950

View attachment 86951

2014-08-14 10.13.33.jpg

2014-08-14 10.13.46.jpg

2014-08-14 10.14.09.jpg

First Name
Gregg
Looking good . It's very rewarding to be able to enhance on our builds.

Gregg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is great work Peter, lovely detailing and the paintwork is awesome.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Great work peter , it's a shame that we get all that detail in cockpits and when it's built you can't see most of it

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Ah yes, the famous eduard Spit. I have the limited edition version of D-Day of this kit in the stash. Waiting to see how you make this one. Are you using any Brassin extras? I just recently bought the brassin gunbay for my eduard Spit. Hope this build turns out well.

John

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
\ said:
Ah yes, the famous eduard Spit. I have the limited edition version of D-Day of this kit in the stash. Waiting to see how you make this one. Are you using any Brassin extras? I just recently bought the brassin gunbay for my eduard Spit. Hope this build turns out well.John
I am using the brassin extras this one included Pe flaps witch i will be attempting (god help me).

Peter t

B

Bunkerbarge

I have to say PE is not my favourite media. I find it very fiddly and frustrating and invariably I'm not happy with the result. I also do not like using cyano and I invariably end up with tiny bits of brass stuck to my fingers.

The cockpit looks beautiful

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not just my fingers Richard. Bits end up stuck to the bench, my tweezers, the wrong part of the model, the neighbour's cat......the list goes on!

I agree that the cockpit looks very nice, it can be worth the effort and a bit of 'blue' language.

Cheers

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I think my worst experience with pe was when I built the HMS Warspite , I was building the cranes and my first attemp was not a good one , first it got stuck to my finger then it it got to my other finger once I'd got it off that finger and then when I managed to set it down, built the next one and never had the problems like I'd with the first , then when I reached to put it on the ship it was stuck to the desk !

Not a good thing to happen

L

Laurie

Found the PE sticky stick Sticky Micro Stick great. Pick the PE up apply Cyano and attach. The Micro Stick comes away cleanly. For the Cyano I use a microbrush which are throw away. Come in various sizes and make applying the Cyano to the PE easy. The brush does not attach to the cyano unless you leave for a good period.

Laurie

D

dubster72

That cockpit looks great Pete! I don't see what the problems with PE are - try using a full 1/35 set including schurzen & fenders ... that's fiddly!

D

Deleted member 3568

Great work there braver man than me. I have the academy titanic centenary edition and have given up on the pe hate the stuff as has been said if, and after, you've managed to bend it to shape and after you've unstuck it from the bench your fingers, nose, trousers, fingers again, you place it delicately where it should go, only to find its stuck to the tweezers, so after you manage to unstick it from said tweezers you again place it gently where it should go but now of course it won't stick so you hold it there for ten minutes but no it still won't stick, then from holding it still for so long you get the shakes, then of course it sticks only wonky and of course now it's stuck so well a stick of dynamite wouldn't move it.

Nope you are a brave man and I will never touch the stuff again. Great job well done.

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I don't know what it is but I get the feeling your not keen on pe ken :D

First Name
Dave
The cockpit looks superb Peter.Eduard PE instrument panels are great aren't they?.Far better than anything I can achieve with a paint brush.

G

Graham D

The cockpit looks good, I am a lover of photo etch, even though it is very frustrating at times. Nail varnish remover is a good solvent for cyno. Just soak the parts and they come apart quite easily, but the glue goes cloudy, so you need more nail varnish remover to get rid of the wait glue. It unsticks skin as well

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work on the cockpit Peter, look good with the added detail,:rolleyes:

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I am using the brassin extras this one included Pe flaps witch i will be attempting (god help me).Peter t
Wait a moment, the only kit eduard produced which included the flaps was the Royal Class edition. Is this the Royal Class one? By the way I love PE and always get eduard sets whenever I can and when I have the money to do so

John