My wrecked, rusty liner. Comments on picture content, not model please.

W

Willi262

I love it. What the Queen Mary will look like in 200 years...

I do like the 3rd pic, it does look like the RtT movie shot. The saturation of light works well for the photo.

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Have I missed the point ?

Isn't the purpose of the photo to make the model look better ?

Applying that logic surly complimenting the model says how good the photo is

N

noble

Hi si it is a quality piece, the weathering is sublime and the dio just adds the finishing touches.... what a cracker, nice photos as well.

scott

F

fuma

Hi Si, nice work as ever.

As this thread is about the pictures, If you are taking Macro shots then it is mainly a matter of practice and in my own humble opinion a decent camera. I'm afraid phone cameras and little 'pocket' cameras just don't get the results (This is my own personal opinion and I fully support the rights of other people to disagree and have a opposite stance if they so choose.) One of the joys of digital cameras is you can just delete it if you don't like the result!!

I don't know what camera you are using but I use a tripod and a shutter trigger, at the risk of teaching you to sucks eggs, the trigger is a cable with a button on one end, that screws in to the top of the shutter release on the camera and reduces the 'shake' when taking the picture as you don't have direct contact with the camera itself.

Have tried putting something like a piece of white card in the background? I see you are using natural daylight, the card will help bounce the light around and with practice will help bring that stunning water effect through (any chance of a tutorial on how you achieved it?), as well as highlighting the rust effects and detailing on the model.

There is a good chance you will see shadows you don't want at first. however, again with practice and playing around with positioning of the model and camera etc you will get some first class pictures to enhance your first class builds.

Hope that is of some help...

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hi Si, nice work as ever.As this thread is about the pictures, If you are taking Macro shots then it is mainly a matter of practice and in my own humble opinion a decent camera. I'm afraid phone cameras and little 'pocket' cameras just don't get the results (This is my own personal opinion and I fully support the rights of other people to disagree and have a opposite stance if they so choose.) One of the joys of digital cameras is you can just delete it if you don't like the result!!

I don't know what camera you are using but I use a tripod and a shutter trigger, at the risk of teaching you to sucks eggs, the trigger is a cable with a button on one end, that screws in to the top of the shutter release on the camera and reduces the 'shake' when taking the picture as you don't have direct contact with the camera itself.

Have tried putting something like a piece of white card in the background? I see you are using natural daylight, the card will help bounce the light around and with practice will help bring that stunning water effect through (any chance of a tutorial on how you achieved it?), as well as highlighting the rust effects and detailing on the model.

There is a good chance you will see shadows you don't want at first. however, again with practice and playing around with positioning of the model and camera etc you will get some first class pictures to enhance your first class builds.

Hope that is of some help...
Thank you Fuma, some great tips there and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. The camera is a Fuji-finepix s5500, a very old digital camera but handy for me, the settings are okay but I just struggling in getting them to work well with the subjects...as you say, more practice me thinks. As for the water there is a thread somewhere on the build, maybe in the boat section. If it doesn't mention the water effects then let me know and I will do one.

Si:smiling3:

F

fuma

Hi Si

Just been looking over your camera on the web. Looking at the spec it is more designed toward sports/wildlife pics but you should be able to get good close ups with the macro facility. I'm assuming the lense can be changed? Perhaps a quality zoom lense would be worth an investment? Certainly consider a tripod and shutter trigger (also known as a shutter release cable). Funds and partner allowing of course!!!

Thinking outside the box (the scale is irrelevant.) Is there local photographic society / club local to you. There may be interest in taking shots for you or offering advice etc.

I must admit I have a niece who a photography student, so what I build is an ideal medium for her and some of her project work.

S

Stevekir

I don't use a shutter release cable. Instead I set the time delay to 2 secs which allows any shake from pressing the shutter button to die away.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I don't use a shutter release cable. Instead I set the time delay to 2 secs which allows any shake from pressing the shutter button to die away.
Thank you Steve, that is something that I never thought of, will have a look in the camera settings and see if there is a way to do this, excellent tip appreciate that, thank you.

Si:smiling3: