N gauge fine scale

S

STEVIE.TOM

Hi to all this will be my first post.

Iam about to start on my first N gauge model railway layout I have chosen the track ( Peco finescale code 55). just finishing corking the top of my board which is an all over layer with the intention of laying the track on another layer of 1/16? thick cork to give the effect of raised ballasting does anyone no if this is about the right thickness for a realistic appearance? Also I purchased some peco PL10E point motors to fit under the board but looking at the fine scale points there is no hole in the useual place(like on the OO points iam use to) is there a different way for the pin of the motor to go into the point or do I have to drill my own? Any help would be appreciated,

Cheers Steve

S

Splot

Steve,

The hole in the tie bar is at each end rather than in the centre as in OO.

SPlot

S

STEVIE.TOM

Code 55 rail

Ahh do you mount the point motor to one side??

Cheers

S

Splot

Hi Steve,

I mounted the motor under the base board.

I did this by drilling a hole through the board under the tie bar. The diametre of the hole will need to be big enough to encompas the travel of the tie bar. From memory this is about 6mm or 1/4" in English but you'll need to check.

I think that the Peco point motors come with an extension bar for the point motor bar. If not you can buy them separatley. Also it would be worth using the point motor mounting frame by peco. I didn't. I screwed my directly to the baseboard and always had problems with the motors moving out of alignment.

Last thing is that used to mount the motor and the extension bar through the point and then trim them off using a motor tool. I was really stupid. DON'T DO THIS. The plastic of the tie bar will melt which will mean at best a sloppy fit of the moint motor bar and at worst significant repair of the tie bar.

Lastly you will need to trim the extension bar close to the tie bar as if it is to long it will interfere with the bogie frames of your rolling stock.

Hopr this helps,

Cheers

SPlot

S

STEVIE.TOM

Cheers so are they mounted not centally but to one side?

\ said:
Hi Steve,I mounted the motor under the base board.

I did this by drilling a hole through the board under the tie bar. The diametre of the hole will need to be big enough to encompas the travel of the tie bar. From memory this is about 6mm or 1/4" in English but you'll need to check.

I think that the Peco point motors come with an extension bar for the point motor bar. If not you can buy them separatley. Also it would be worth using the point motor mounting frame by peco. I didn't. I screwed my directly to the baseboard and always had problems with the motors moving out of alignment.

Last thing is that used to mount the motor and the extension bar through the point and then trim them off using a motor tool. I was really stupid. DON'T DO THIS. The plastic of the tie bar will melt which will mean at best a sloppy fit of the moint motor bar and at worst significant repair of the tie bar.

Lastly you will need to trim the extension bar close to the tie bar as if it is to long it will interfere with the bogie frames of your rolling stock.

Hopr this helps,

Cheers

SPlot

S

Splot

\ said:
Cheers so are they mounted not centally but to one side?
Yes that's right, the motor is aligned to the hole in the tie bar, so it will be off centre. Remember the motor works on lateral movement so remember to allow for that when fitting.

S

STEVIE.TOM

Thanks

Thank you sorr if I was hard work, I understand now

cheers

S

Splot

\ said:
Thank you sorr if I was hard work, I understand nowcheers
No worries, it's difficult to describe in words. Should have used a picture. As you know in the IT word "a picture is worth 1024 words!!"