Natural Modeling Vegetation.

P

Polux

The work bench rest on silence; is like a magic moment...

You are opening a new kit box. The hands are observing the sprues, decal sheets and the instructions...perfect!

Days or maybe weeks, a hard job remains ahead, but in your mind the imagination starts to work. A subtle image of the model is appearing... chipping hull, streaking grimes, dust effects,... And then you start to work over the idea.

But...don’t forget anything...?

You will leave all this effort over a stash or on a simple base with artificial green grass only...?

The vegetation is the perfect complement to describe and explain, to the others, the story of our model.

Is spring? Or maybe autumn?

The vehicle is running on a desert? On a jungle?

Pay more attention with the vegetation could be the difference between a good model and a magnificent model :smiling3:

There are some brands that produce interesting aftermarket stuff, and at difference scales as well.

Anyway, this thread will explain some varieties and tips, but only, about the natural vegetation.

So, my proposing is inviting you to take a walk around the forest or on a simple garden. Just observe and take your time... You will discover a new world, which can be very useful for our hobby. ;)

The PART I of this thread will content only a few samples about what can we use as vegetation, natural vegetation...

The PART II of this thread will content how to work them. Tools, glues and other tips.

The PART III of this thread will content the paintwork. Paints, effects, inks,....

The best way is experiment with your own flowers...so; take with you some little boxes and a scissors....

There are forests all around the world!

Polux

Last edited:
P

Polux

Internet makes the world seems to be a small place, but that’s not true. The world has his own order and rules....

There are different climates, seasons and places at diversity of altitudes... So, every place is unique!!

With these conditions is difficult to explain which one is the best period to recollect our stuff...

My recommend is simple; forget for a moment the frenetic rhythm of the civilization and their IPhones. Use the instinct, walk calmly and be observer ;) and don’t forget the big trees or similar, like an eucalyptus...his dried rind is perfect for many different manual works, where I include the modelling :smiling3:

On the next thread you will find a lot of diversity natural dried plants. Not works for all, but a good thing is keeping the flowers drying on the original plant. The future stuff will be more resistent and it’s more easy and safe to guard.

For a better visual scale and reference for you, I used a 1/35 figure (50mm aprox).

Remember that the possibilities are infinities...this is only a few part!

Ok!! Let’s do a walk around the forest!!

View attachment 105518

DSC_1056.jpg

Last edited:
P

Polux

This is maybe the most used plant around the world....the thyme. Is the perfect one if you are afraid to build your own tree. The colour, once dried, looks a lovely old trunk that floats over a river...

View attachment 105526

There are some similar plants, like the fennel, that are perfectly for his size and you can use for different scales like 1/72, 1/48 and 1/35.

View attachment 105527

View attachment 105528

View attachment 105529

View attachment 105530

View attachment 105531

The dried leaves of fennel are a good item as well. Be careful, is very delicate!

View attachment 105532

This one is... one of my favourites. Is really resistant and the detail level is amazing!

View attachment 105533

With that one you can choice how long it could be. Is a classic :smiling3:

View attachment 105534

DSC_0998.JPG

DSC_1009.JPG

DSC_1017.JPG

DSC_1062.JPG

DSC_1016.JPG

DSC_1067.JPG

DSC_1069.JPG

DSC_1012.JPG

DSC_1020.JPG

P

Polux

After a few changes and a bit of work, this one will look like a lovely coloured flower.

View attachment 105535

The heather, once dried, is a delicate plant, but we can use three parts of them.

The flower is perfect item for a spring scene. The flower is white, so is perfect for future paintwork.

View attachment 105536

The trunk of the heather is a good option, as well, for add detail at a winter tree. (This is a tree with a metallic structure (home made). The heather trunk at the end of the branches add more realism)

View attachment 105537

View attachment 105538

You can use the leaves, well.... as a leaves on the soil. If you have patience, you can add them at some dried plants for an extreme realism!

View attachment 105539

Or add natural or artificial stuff to it to create a nice shrub.

View attachment 105540

DSC_1072.JPG

DSC_1031.JPG

DSC_1044.JPG

DSC_1047.JPG

DSC_1035.JPG

DSC_1048.JPG

P

Polux

Some modellers use oregano as a leaves. If you need to fill a forest scene, this is your plant ;)

View attachment 105541

If you are looking to fill the soil on an autumn’s forest scene, the dried and crushed geranium leaves are perfect.

View attachment 105542

Some mosses are very resistant and they keep the colour.

View attachment 105543

View attachment 105544

If you are looking for an aquatic scene those ones are good options. The second one is the rosemary leave, the advantage is that you can choice the size (all the leaves on the plant has different sizes). You can cover with clear resin for a nice alga effect on a river or sea.View attachment 105545

View attachment 105546

DSC_1050.JPG

DSC_1036.JPG

DSC_1040.JPG

DSC_1042.JPG

DSC_1060.JPG

DSC_1028.JPG

P

Polux

What about this dried flower? You only have to pull out the parts that you need to create a new plant.

View attachment 105547

Some trees give an interesting range of stuff. Observe this useful fruit; it gives to you an excellent little flowered grass.

View attachment 105548

Or the laurel and his flowers as well.

View attachment 105549

You are a Sci-Fi builder..? You want to recreate an Alien scene? :smiling3:

View attachment 105550

These plants are really delicate, but are perfect to reproduce the typical vegetation climbing on the walls.

View attachment 105551

View attachment 105552

Of course, don’t forget the roots

View attachment 105553

These are only some options!

Now is time to work with them. Let’s do it ;)

DSC_1027.JPG

DSC_1023.JPG

DSC_1043.JPG

DSC_1015.JPG

DSC_1005.JPG

DSC_1070.JPG

DSC_1074.JPG

First Name
Richard
Great job Polux super informative this is, and thanks for taking the time to do this.

Cheers Richi

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
agree total with Richi,very well put together and show,and explained as a picture is a 1000 words

very well done, :D

P

Polux

Is practical to work with natural vegetation...?

NOT!! :smiling3:

The natural vegetation has some several limitations. So you could consider it as a “plus” or a complement, like an added aftermarket bagged or a scratch build piece over your standard commercial model.

Take as example:

Imagine you are building an arid soil base; the natural vegetation will be the perfect stuff, because she is more accorded with the real plants.

But if you are recreating a jungle....it will be impossible with our natural forest stuff....

Anyway; search, dry and manipulate your own vegetation, is more than an attractive exercise! Where you can learn many new tips and add a special view at your bases. ;)

View attachment 106085

DSC_1057.jpg

P

Polux

We have the dried herbs and all the necessary tooling.

Now is time to start with our base :smiling3:

This thread is talking about the vegetation, so I consider to create a little street vignette with a garden should be fun. The “Rue du Modélisme”...wrote in French. The English version is like “Modelling Street”.

View attachment 106093

View attachment 106094

View attachment 106095

As you can see the vignette is really small, but we have the space enough. The challenge will be to create a credible scene only using natural vegetation. :smiling3:

These are the colours that I used to prime the base. I played with the primers to add preshading colours.

View attachment 106097

DSC_1088.JPG

DSC_1091.JPG

DSC_1096.JPG

DSC_1099.JPG

Last edited:
P

Polux

First Name
Robert
You've hit the nail on the head with the vegetation idea and it all works even to the scale, I recently went ti a garden centre and I got some cheap lichen and some fake moss and tree clumps all for cheap ( Xmas excess stick clearance )

I will put some pics up soon ( lots of diorama stuff)

Will use this dire fur tips to weather the