Neil's Airfix 1/72 Avro Lancaster "Dambusters"

1275GT

Hi all. Firstly apologies for the late finish, but life took a sudden and unexpected turn, which put all model related activities on hold for a while. However, all is well again, and I've finally managed to get this done.

It's the Dambusters boxing of the new too Airfix Lancaster, posed in flight and about to drop its famous bouncing bomb. I was hoping to do a small diorama, but that didn't work out, so onto a handy Airfix stand it went.

The kit is superb, and went together with no issues. I added modified figures from various sources, Quickboost gun barrel set, Eduard interior set and mask set, and some home made prop blurs.

The one minor problem I had was that the decals were slightly out of register on some markings, particularly the red ones for some reason.

Despite this, I would heartily recommend this kit to anyone with more than a passing interest in the type, its lovely.

Thanks to all organisers and participants, its been fun.

Now I'm off to find the naughty step, and think about what I've done..... ;)

Cheers, Neil

View attachment 114309

View attachment 114310

View attachment 114311

View attachment 114312

View attachment 114313

View attachment 114314

View attachment 114315

View attachment 114316

View attachment 114317

View attachment 114318

View attachment 114319

View attachment 114320

View attachment 114321

View attachment 114322

View attachment 114323

DSC00749.JPG

DSC00750.JPG

DSC00751.JPG

DSC00753.JPG

DSC00754.JPG

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00756.JPG

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

DSC00762.JPG

DSC00763.JPG

DSC00764.JPG

DSC00765.JPG

D

dougie

Wow, what a stunning finish on this. Really clean cracking build. Nice one

1275GT

Thanks Dougie, it's my first airbrushed camo job. Was looking a bit pants until the matt coat went on and seemed to tie everything together. Think I may have dodged a bullet.... ;)

Cheers, Neil

D

dubster72

Brilliant stuff Neil! I can almost hear the throaty roar of 4 Merlins!

Nice work on the prop blurs, they look more professional than mine.

Cheers

Patrick

1275GT

Thanks Patrick, its the first time I've tried them and they've not come out too bad. They look better from some views \ angles than others, but a but more practice with the airbrush should sort it :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is superb Neil, lovely work-great detailing. I like this very much.

Si:smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great build,Neil,do real like the colors of the camo,and the pin lining so well done,

I think if showing a plane flying the prop blurs,you have used are great ,

very well done all round, ;)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That is a real peach Neil....... those prop blurs really set it off....... Big 10/10 from me matey.

B

Bunkerbarge

I've never seen anything like those blurred props. They work superbly and really bring this model to life, which is in itself a lovely model. The cockpit detail looks spot on.

L

Laurie

Very nice model Neil. Some nice finishes and very crisp work.

Just wondered Neil if you had thought of adding the aerial rigging. Makes a nice feature of the aircraft model.

Laurie

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice build Neil prop blur very clever I used to make circular thin plastic discs and then glue the propeller blades onto these to try to imitate spinning blades but you've nailed it I will use this effect on my srn4 hovercraft when i get round to building it thanks for solving a puzzle of how to do it and once again great build

Colin

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Lovely Lancaster mate and yes you have nailed those props, lovely job

1275GT

Thank you very much for the kind comments, though I suspect my rubbish photography may be helping the effect look better than it is !!! ;)

Laurie, with regard to the rigging, its a bit of a story.

Up until recently, I was a child minder, and the kit was bought for me a while ago by a couple of brothers I looked after, and I decided to make it and give it back to them as a leaving present. Although the Lanc is on a stand, I figured it might get played with and\or hung up, so the rigging may well get in the way, if it lasted that long! So, I left it off. Not accurate, I agree, but practicality dictated otherwise on this occasion :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil

L

Laurie

\ said:
Thank you very much for the kind comments, though I suspect my rubbish photography may be helping the effect look better than it is !!! ;)
Laurie, with regard to the rigging, its a bit of a story.

Up until recently, I was a child minder, and the kit was bought for me a while ago by a couple of brothers I looked after, and I decided to make it and give it back to them as a leaving present. Although the Lanc is on a stand, I figured it might get played with and\or hung up, so the rigging may well get in the way, if it lasted that long! So, I left it off. Not accurate, I agree, but practicality dictated otherwise on this occasion :smiling3:

Cheers, Neil
I did wonder on that one Neil. The Lanc I built is on a shelf but even then with all the other craft I

have a rigging mending session periodically. Not my favourite job.

My comment was not meant in any way a criticism just a comment. I do think you have made

a superb job of a very big model and that is, as I have found, not an easy achievement.

Laurie

1275GT

No offence was taken Laurie, and thank you for you kind comments :smiling3: