New Klear

F

Fenlander

I posted a comment on the new Klear that I had read elsewhere in that it is not suitable for dipping clear parts like Canopies.

I am not convinced that it will turn the canopy 'milky' as suggested but after doing a couple of rough dips, dipped once and wait for it to dry then dip again and leave to dry.

I have to say, to be fair, that I did not take care over this. It was dip and put down whereas if I had been doing it for real I would have ensured that pooling did not happen.

It looks as though the resulting coating is not as clear as I would like, it looks 'wet'. However, more importantly for us is that where i has pooled, it has dried as a milky blob. This has been drying for at least 2 hours so it should be dry.

Again, if I had been doing this fro real I would probably have taken more care but I am not sure if I could have done anything to get a better finish.

Just to point out that only the front half has been dipped. The 'misty' rear half should be like that as it would be painted.

View attachment 23545

View attachment 23546

IMG_1926..jpg

IMG_1925..jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Would be interesting to see it 'painted' onto a canopy instead of dipped. Would be a thinner coating and less likely to pool

F

Fenlander

Good point but dipping is the traditional (but certainly not exclusive) way of doing canopies. It would certainly be less likely to pool but then again, if it was being done for real I would have removed the pool before it dried.

C

colprit

Hi Graham, I've only ever used this new klear and never had a problem with it, but I use a brush all the time to put it on and have never dipped it like you doing.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Colin. That's how i apply Klear as it is. I have never dipped my canopies. Does it give a different finish with dipping?

C

colprit

What about airbrushing it on has anyone tried that yet. What were the results.

F

Fenlander

I cannot see any problems airbrushing it, it is no thicker (to me) than the original and that AB well enough without thinning. I do think though that airbrushed does not give the thicker protective coat that brushing does. As Klear is 'self levelling' you don't get brush marks which is great for a pre matt varnish protective finish.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I never airbrush Klear as I'm lazy,and can't be arsed to clean out the airbrush...again. I brush it on models and dip clear parts. I try to hold the part on an area that will be painted,with tweezers. Eyebrow tweezers are ideal, senior management provided mine. Once dipped allow excess to run to the bottom or a convenient corner, and then place the part on a kitchen towel.This will wick away this excess. Don't touch for at least 20 minutes!

I have the paper towel in the bottom of a little tupperware type container on which I them put the lid. This prevents any hair/dust/etc settling on the wet Klear and leaves you with a nice shiny hood or whatever.

The lid of the bottle makes a nice dipping pot. I've read that you shouldn't return unused Klear to the bottle but I've been doing it for years with no adverse effects. My current bottle has been on the go for about three years and is still nearly half full (and I had one spill). It has yellowed very slightly but this doesn't show on models.

Cheers

Steve

C

colprit

Steve, I'm glad to see you tip the remaining fluid back into your bottle, I do the same thing and have not found any adverse effects either.