New to Airbrushing question?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As a final comment, I can play guitar quite well, but a great guitar won’t make me sound like Clapton. However, if Clapton plays one of my cheaper guitars…..he’ll sound like Clapton.
I once asked the fashion photographer David Bailey which camera he preferred to use - his answer was "whichever one I'm paid to use"! At the time, he was advertising a fixed-lens Olympus compact, with which he got better result than most people with and SLR and multiple lenses.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A bit similar to when calculators were first allowed to be used in schools. We would always say to the children "Remember a fool with a tool is still a fool"

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
A bit similar to when calculators were first allowed to be used in schools. We would always say to the children "Remember a fool with a tool is still a fool"
Interesting choice of words Jim. Nobody ever said that to me when I was taught to use a slide rule……

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I once asked the fashion photographer David Bailey which camera he preferred to use - his answer was "whichever one I'm paid to use"! At the time, he was advertising a fixed-lens Olympus compact, with which he got better result than most people with and SLR and multiple lenses.
Pete
I had an Olympus SLR + a couple of lens back in the day of 35mm film, and I had to be so careful to get the adjustments correct having only a max 0f 32 pics.
Now with my digital cam, I can click away to my heart's content and just choose from the multitudes :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
If you've noticed I haven't commented at all. The questions are the same and so are the answers. Is there a dedicated section in the forum for such a discourse?
I'm with Dave as the airbrush is no black art or a miracle tool unless handled by an experience painter...I repeat experienced painter and experience comes with practice, practice, practice, spits, spats, hissing, nada and finally revelation. Rome wasn't built in a day.
When you press the trigger on any airbrush single or dual action, the air comes out contant at whatever pressure the compressor can put out. If you want a precise amount of air then a regulator needs to be installed preferably one with a water trap. I have learnt to gently press the trigger to regulate the air further.
Every airbrush has its idiosyncrasies and I've tried them all including the Paasche brushes and the first starter Badger sucker feed(Had a tyre in my room for free air). They all deliver the same air and paint, all need their regular service but not everytime after one spraying sitting. The frequent undoing and rescrewing parts will wear out even the best tools. The cheap ones are rougher to the touch and the Rolls Royces of course feel like RR's but they both deliver the payload out the same nozzle. What comes out and hits the surface boils down to the operators air preference, dexterity of his fingers on his hand and his mixed concoction...that's all, and of course artistry or if you don't have that then it is handy as a spray gun to cover large surfaces, do graduation and soft edges.
Never hide away from experimenting, find anything that blocks your spray and surface to see the effects of masking. My first masking was my thumb. Spray over something you have painted before and see how it doesn't disturb the underlying paint unless there is a chemical reaction then it's a new lesson on compatibility of paint and solvents to remember.
You'll find airbrushing is fun and masking is the opposite. Airbrushing is great for weathering dust, streaking, mud splattering, camo, spotting, applying varnishes, blowing away dust, cooling oneself on a hot day and paint realistic exhaust stains.
The LHS has an airbrush boot set up for anyone willing to try and get a feel for any of the brands on sale. I notice many who've never held an airbrush before are like those who've never tried chopsticks...you hold it like a pen.

After all this I still use the paint brush to hand paint small stuff, do pin washes and mix paints for airbrushing.

Cheers,
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I had an Olympus SLR + a couple of lens back in the day of 35mm film, and I had to be so careful to get the adjustments correct having only a max 0f 32 pics.
Now with my digital cam, I can click away to my heart's content and just choose from the multitudes :smiling3:
36 exposures surely Bob? Another thing that Bailey said was that he took more pics than most, and scrapped 99% of them. I took this to heart, and when a relative got married soon after I used about 7 rolls of film outside the church.
Pete

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
36 exposures surely Bob? Another thing that Bailey said was that he took more pics than most, and scrapped 99% of them. I took this to heart, and when a relative got married soon after I used about 7 rolls of film outside the church.
Pete
Yes Pete 36.
Got in a muckin fudle :smiling3:
I wasted lplenty of Ilford B&W film in my day.
I loved B&W and was cheaper then.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's it....
I've been outbid.
So won't bother anymore, just use brushes like I always did.
Maybe look at spraying later
Thanks for all the help guys.
Bob

First Name
Noel
I can sort of remember Davi Bailey's Olympus ads.
Particularly the one where he got asked 'Who do you think you are? David Bailey?'
I think the scenario might have been a wedding in the ad.

It might have been an Olympus Trip that he was advertising in it.
Had one a long time ago, metal body and it had an excellent lens.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I think the young lad is Rodney’s mate Mickey Pearce……..

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
just bought myself a couple of nice (sable) flat brushed to go with my fine pointed ones :thumb2:
Question?
On my Seafire FR
47 (which I haven't sterted yet)
I noticed that some of the paint numbers are acomaned by a "Satin varnish" number
Ideas why please?
Not a problem as can get some. Just wanted to know? :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Question?
On my Seafire FR
47 (which I haven't sterted yet)
I noticed that some of the paint numbers are acomaned by a "Satin varnish" number
Ideas why please?
Not a problem as can get some. Just wanted to know? :smiling3:
Just telling you you need a satin finish.

Modler bob

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just telling you you need a satin finish.
I should've been more accurate in my question, sorry.....
The varnish in question is to be added to the base colour, and I wasn't sure why.
Would it be because the base paint isn't available in satin only matt?
;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Quasimodo and Esmarelder were to be married but Quasimodo was worried about the photographs due to his disfigurement.
Someone told him of the great photographer David Bailey. So he called him and asked if he could take the wedding pictures.
At a meeting Mr. Bailey said that as the world's leading fashion photographer he could guarantee that Quasimodo's hump would not be seen. At all!
The wedding was held and Bailey took dozens if not hundreds of pictures of the bride, groom and the guests.
A week passed and Bailey phoned Quasimodo to tell him the pictures are ready.
Excited Quasimodo asked if all went to plan.
Well, began Bailey, the photos are some of the best I have taken but there is a problem...
Quasimodo cut him off . It's my hump isn't it you can see my hump.
Bailey replied. I guarantee you can not see the hump in any of them.
Puzzled quasi asked what the problem was.
David took a deep breath.
Well Mr Quasimodo, we can't shut the bloody album.

I'll see myself out.