new to plastic model making help needed!!

H

hawklight

hi

i have just joined the forum after find this site through a web search.

i normally collect die-cast helicoper models,helicopters being my passion.

i want it increase my collection of helicopter models and so have had to now move to plastic model kits,as there are more model types in plastic than die-cast ,especially russian types of which there is a good choice.

my question is ,are there any good books or video/dvds which cover the basics and beyond of building plastic kits,ie filling gaps ,sanding,painting ,tools,etc as the last time i built a plastic kit was when i was a small child many moons ago!

any suggestions would be gratefully received.

thanks

alastair:regards:

R

rjwood_uk

with some of the people on this forum, trust me...you wont need a book or video!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi and a very warm welcome to the Scale Models forum. I hope that you find the site useful and informative and a source of guidance and information.

I would recommend that you start with having a look through our tutorial postings where you will find a few usefull hints and tips on basic and not so basic modeling techniques.

Failing that don’t be scared of asking the forum because, as I regularly say, “There is no such thing as a stupid question

N

Nigel.D

Hi and welcome also

have a browse through the forums if you cant find ananswer or just want to chat to someone use the shout box or pm any of us were alll more than delighted to help

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hawklight,no amount of books will ever teach you all there is on modelling,my best advice is get stuck in and build plenty of models,along the line you will make some mistakes but above all you will learn in a practical manner,there is enough skill and expetise within these cyber pages to advise you on any aspect of plastic modelling,but this site goes beyond that because everyone here builds models themselves,and above all has been down the very route that you are doing now.Go build models,if you get stuck and need advice you know where we are,here to assist !

U

Uncivil Serpent

Hi Hawklight and welcome.

As already mentioned, any problems don't be afraid to ask.

Best regards

Chris

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Hawklight and welcome,

As Richard quite rightly said, with the wealth of experience on here, you certainly won't need any books or videos...Just ask and check the tutorials and yes there are pics on there too if you get confused by any points.

Please feel free to ask and we will certainly help without biting.

Regards.......Mark.

H

hawklight

hi

can i say a massive thank you to all of you who have replied to my posting,it's really encourging to know there are so many people willing to help should i need it.

thank you all again

alastair:smile11:

T

tigertc

Damn....... am i last to say welcome again.!

Welcome to "Le encyclopedi de Scale a la Model"

M

maxidad66

No, I'm the last!!

I joined this site about 3-4 weeks ago after coming back to modeliing after 25 years (and back then it was just the bog-standard airfix kits we all did as 12 year olds). So don't feel like you're the only one who's got a lot of skills to acquire. In the past 2 months or so I've build 3 kits and used techniques I never bothered with back then: masking cockpits, sprue-stretching, dry-brushing, filling and scribing. This site is great, but also very useful (amongst the hundreds on the web) is the hyperscale site ( http://www.hyperscale.com/) and the IPMS Stockholm site(http://ipmsstockholm.org/) both of which have awesome galleries. But you won't get the personal touch there like you do on this site.

B

Bunkerbarge

Thanks for the kind words Maxidad. Glad you find the forum usefull.

B

Bunkerbarge

Tigertc,

I've just noticed your new avatar and the comment underneath and I haven't stopped laughing yet.

Well done, with a sense of humour like that you could be at sea!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Terry,where did you get that Avatar,its great !! they say people whos ears stick out are blessed with great intellligence.

Damn....... am i last to say welcome again.!Welcome to "Le encyclopedi de Scale a la Model"

B

Bunkerbarge

Now I've been telling people that for ages!! ...as well as bald guys make better lovers!!!

T

tigertc

Just ordered some diamante for the landing lights, and a miniature make up bag for the cockpit. Anyone got a 1/48 Kenneth Williams (Carry On fame) for the pilot?

Tally Hoooooo o o o o oh Matron!

H

hawklight

thank you for your encourgement it's good to know i'm not alone.

what would be helpfully is a stage by stage tutorial describing what to do at the different stages of construction and options avaliable and the right tools to use etc,but i guess that's a lot of work,unless there is one on this excellant site already, anyway i'll check out the sites you've given me the links for.:smile11:

thank you all again.

alastair (hawklght)

ps anyone for a passion for helicopters like me,if you haven't already been make for the helicopter museum in western supermare it's brilliant ,especially as it has my 2 favourite helicopters ie a huey uh1-h (ex veitnam ) and the russian mil-hind d.

B

Bunkerbarge

To start with read my thread "Back to Basics" that I did a few weeks ago in the tutorials section.

There are some things to think about in there before you embark on your build.

H

hawklight

new to plastic model making help need

what would be helpfully is a stage by stage tutorial describing what to do at the different stages of construction and options avaliable and the right tools to use etc,but i guess that's a lot of work,unless there is one on this excellant site already, anyway i'll check out the sites you've given me the links for.:smile11:

thank you all again.

alastair (hawklght)

ps anyone for a passion for helicopters like me,if you haven't already been make for the helicopter museum in western supermare it's brilliant ,especially as it has my 2 favourite helicopters ie a huey uh1-h (ex veitnam ) and the russian mil-hind d.

H

hawklight

thank you all again.

alastair (hawklght)

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Cannot wait to see this model Terry,dare I suggest that the fuselage codes are 'P-UF' !!

Great fun project,keep up he good work.

Just ordered some diamante for the landing lights, and a miniature make up bag for the cockpit. Anyone got a 1/48 Kenneth Williams (Carry On fame) for the pilot?Tally Hoooooo o o o o oh Matron!