New to the group

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Oh no... another bloody pongo! :tears-of-joy:;)

Welcome ( @24481068porritt ) Steven, there are plenty of veterans on this site, which is good, I'm sure you'll feel at home looking up to us senior service and down to the junior service :tears-of-joy:
Will look forward to seeing your builds mate :cool::thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I thought it was, either that or the population of Uzbekistan! Joking aside, welcome to the forum once again mate (I know I'm old now because my first four is 2394 .... !) Good to see us squaddies resisting the influx of Jacks and Crabs!
Steve
Hoy - I resemble that remark. Better a cruise on the grey funnel line than jumping out of perfectly good airplanes!!;)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I know I'm old now because my first four is 2394
So … British Army registration numbers are sequential? Dutch ones, across all the services, are your birthdate as YYMMDD followed by three digits that I suppose are sequential, but for all I know are actually random. Oh, and reading up on it, I see that these days, it can also be four characters at the end, and letters can also appear now. I guess this is because since 2020, women are also eligible for conscription (even though conscription has been suspended since 1997).

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
So … British Army registration numbers are sequential? Dutch Army ones are your birthdate as YYMMDD followed by three digits that I suppose are sequential, but for all I know are actually random.
I had 3 during my time in the RN. First was prefixed with a 'L' then it was changed to a 'D' finally settling on a 'D' prefix with a 'N' suffix. Numbers in the middle remained the same.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh no... another bloody pongo! :tears-of-joy:;)...
... Yep, nightmare eh Lee?!!;):tears-of-joy:

... (Someone oughta tell Steve,"Airborne 1",that "Jacks",are properly known as Matelots,and "Crabs" are something that he probably caught during his days in Pompey!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:)
Andy,(An AIR FORCE veteran :thumb2:;))
..P.S. YES,I do know that "Jack" is from "Jolly Jack Tar"... But that was a couple Centuries ago, even YOU ain't that old mate! ;) :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug

... (Someone oughta tell Steve,"Airborne 1",that "Jacks",are properly known as Matelots,and "Crabs" are something that he probably caught during his days in Pompey!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:)
..P.S. YES,I do know that "Jack" is from "Jolly Jack Tar"... But that was a couple Centuries ago, even YOU ain't that old mate! ;) :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:.
And Jack is easier to spell than matelot!!!! Now pull up a bollard shipmate and I'll tell e' a tale!!!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve

Crabs? - not in Pompey I'm pleased to say! Jacks - not 'Matelots' 'cos they're Frogs and 'Jack' is still a term of inter-Service endearment! (Even Lambs Navy Rum produced a book called 'Jackspeak'! - and I've heard a rumour that the Crabs (RAF Veterans) are about to release a booklet titled 'Hotels Wot We Have Had The Pleasure Of Frequenting')
PS: A gentleman never discusses age - so pedestrian dahlink!
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So … British Army registration numbers are sequential? Dutch ones, across all the services, are your birthdate as YYMMDD followed by three digits that I suppose are sequential, but for all I know are actually random. Oh, and reading up on it, I see that these days, it can also be four characters at the end, and letters can also appear now. I guess this is because since 2020, women are also eligible for conscription (even though conscription has been suspended since 1997).
Yes Jakko - Service numbers are sequential: up until relatively recently the first four numbers indicated Arm of Service (ie Infantry/Cavalry etc or Support Arms) and were a batch indication of the approximate date of enlistment and Arm of Service to an observer 'in the know' Officers had separate sequences as did female personnel. Apparently this muddle was recently rationalised and all serving pers are now allocated purely sequential numbers (I may be mistaken on this latter point)
Steve

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
... I've heard a rumour that the Crabs (RAF Veterans) are about to release a booklet titled 'Hotels Wot We Have Had The Pleasure Of Frequenting....
... I wouldn't be surprised at all Steve... When I went to enlist,the Recruitment centres for the Army and RAF were in the same office,(Plymouth,Armada Way), basically,you walked through the same door,....Army office to the left,RAF to the right... I looked at both:thinking:....
... Recruitment pics for the B.A.... Guys camo'd up in muddy trenches, working on muddy Tanks:flushed:... Hmmm,...
.....the R.A.F. Pics
....Guys in Tents/Hotel rooms,working on Pristine Fighter Jets! :cool:...
Hmmm,it was a tricky decision for about a nano second,(that's a REALLY small amount of time for you grunts!!:tears-of-joy:),nuff said?!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hoy - I resemble that remark. Better a cruise on the grey funnel line than jumping out of perfectly good airplanes!!;)
I've told you before - they are not 'perfectly good ,,,' They are loud, nasty, smelly, rattly, noisy beasties with limited toilet and sleeping facilities (no Wi-fi either nowadays so I'm informed!)
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
... I wouldn't be surprised at all Steve... When I went to enlist,the Recruitment centres for the Army and RAF were in the same office,(Plymouth,Armada Way), basically,you walked through the same door,....Army office to the left,RAF to the right... I looked at both:thinking:....
... Recruitment pics for the B.A.... Guys camo'd up in muddy trenches, working on muddy Tanks:flushed:... Hmmm,...
.....the R.A.F. Pics
....Guys in Tents/Hotel rooms,working on Pristine Fighter Jets! :cool:...
Hmmm,it was a tricky decision for about a nano second,(that's a REALLY small amount of time for you grunts!!:tears-of-joy:),nuff said?!
Tart!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Crabs? - not in Pompey I'm pleased to say! Jacks - not 'Matelots' 'cos they're Frogs and 'Jack' is still a term of inter-Service endearment! (Even Lambs Navy Rum produced a book called 'Jackspeak'! - and I've heard a rumour that the Crabs (RAF Veterans) are about to release a booklet titled 'Hotels Wot We Have Had The Pleasure Of Frequenting')
PS: A gentleman never discusses age - so pedestrian dahlink!
Steve
IIRC, Lambs sponsored Rick Jolly who wrote 'Jackspeak', as well as several other good reads. (Doctor for friend and foe & Red and green life machine). He was my aviation medicine instructor - a brilliant bloke.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I had 3 during my time in the RN. First was prefixed with a 'L' then it was changed to a 'D' finally settling on a 'D' prefix with a 'N' suffix. Numbers in the middle remained the same.
D= Devonport rating - 'L'?
Steve

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
IIRC, Lambs sponsored Rick Jolly who wrote 'Jackspeak', as well as several other good reads. (Doctor for friend and foe & Red and green life machine). He was my aviation medicine instructor - a brilliant bloke.
He certainly was!
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Steve. For the sake of good order I merged the two posts.
Hope you enjoy it here and we look forward to seeing some of your projects.