newbie question but bet it's been asked before

T

thunderace

hello guys,

i have done a search and slowly i am starting to understand the scale in modelling. i bought a model tank 1:72 scale and that is tiny, the model is about 4-5 inches and that is only by site. i realy dont understand the scale in relevance to visually having a model in front of me.

BTW this is a font of knowledge for a total beginner like me.

many thanks,

bri

A

alan2525

Hi,

It's always good to see new members on the forums!

Scale is expressed as a ratio, so in 1/72 scale, 1 foot would equate to 72 feet in reality!

These are some of the scales model kits are often available in and the height of a figure in each scale:

Scale Model Figure Size

1:72 25mm

1:48 37.5mm

1:45 40mm

1:35 51.4mm

1:32 54mm

1:24 75mm

1:20 90mm

Typically 1:72 models are very small and is the typical scale used for cheaper plastic kits. Larger aircraft types in 1/72 still make for a reasonable sized model - a lancaster or such in this scale will give a wingspan of around 400mm (16 inches)

Models of smaller fighter aircraft are normally 1:72 or 1:48, 1:48 makes for a larger model with much more detail, for example a WW2 Spitfire in 1:48 will be approx 200mm (8 inches) wingspan and much more impressive than it's 1:72 equivalent.

1:35 is the scale most widely used for model tanks, Armed Fighting vehicles, in this scale figures are large enough to be nicely detailed and painted, they can also carry detailed equipment, weapons etc.

1:24 and 1:20 are often used for model cars, rally cars, racing cars etc. Because cars are much smaller than tanks - a larger scale is used to still enable the completed model to be a reasonable size.

Hope that helps!

B

Bunkerbarge

You have to basically think of it in reverse, the bigger the number after the 1, the "smaller" the scale and hence the smaller a figure would be at that scale. A 1/6th scale motorcycle would have a figure of 300 mm or 12" tall whereas a 1/600th scale Airfix warship would have a figure of about 3mm or 1/8th" tall.

Scales are usually designed to produce a model that is of a manageable size with an acceptable degree of detail but there are always those extreems that make you wonder such as the guy in the United states that has build a model of the Graf Spee in something like 1/10th scale at about 40 ft long!

In my teenage years the 1/24th Airfix fighters such as the Spitfire, Me109, Mustang etc were all quite breathtaking to see when all we had seen up until then was 1/72nd stuff.