Nice day for a walk.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry guys, It would appear I'm on a roll.

If ever I had any kind of say in a memorial to the British Soldiers that made the ultimate sacrifice on the beaches of Normandy, It would look pretty much like this:

Sorry for the large amount of photos, I just could not make up my mind which ones to post.

Ian M

View attachment 30443

View attachment 30444

View attachment 30445

View attachment 30446

View attachment 30447

View attachment 30448

View attachment 30449

View attachment 30450

View attachment 30451

View attachment 30452

View attachment 30453

View attachment 30454

View attachment 30455

View attachment 30456

View attachment 30457

View attachment 30458

View attachment 30459

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Looks fantastic Ian, are you intending to paint theses.

Andy

F

Fenlander

Ian, that is beautifully done and a superb memorial. This would be just stunning as a live sized bronze on the beachhead. Very clever, very creative and very well executed.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What a great idea,different and very effective. You could have posted more photos and I wouldn't have minded.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

OOOPS. now im showing my true beginner qualities. Sorry Ian, no offence.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
It just goes to show, sometimes simple can be best......This is a prime example.

Well done Ian.

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
OOOPS. now im showing my true beginner qualities. Sorry Ian, no offence.Andy
:laughing:

None taken. Plonker!

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
A big five Ian, i'm lost for words mate. I love it so much i have a lump in my throat, awesome.

Have fun, John

S

snapper41

Errrr - I hate to be a party-pooper, especially as this is an excellent piece of work, but isn't the helmet and clothing too early for Normandy? British troops were issued a new 'tortoise' shape helmet for D-Day and after, and the serge battledress was replaced with a denim type of material. For me, this looks more like a memorial to the BEF at Dunkirk. I stand by for the brickbats!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Oh my god a rivet counter!!!!

The figures and uniforms are indeed the 1939 Infantry as per the Tamiya figures. So yes the helmets are incorrect and should be the more correct mk III. Although the Brodie continued to be used for the duration of WWII along with the Turtle.

Also they have no chin strap, either under their chins or tight over the rim. The Strap on the sten gun is also in the wrong place, as it should be attached at the front and back sling style and not with both ends to the rear like a loop harness. The ammo pouch for the side arm ammo is hanging from thin air as the strap for that is missing also.

As to the fabric that the uniform is made of... Please post a picture of a model showing the differences as I would be intrigued to see the difference.

Its a model that was representing a bronze statue.

Ian M

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheCat30

Ian - This is a great build. It does look like a bronze statue. Great job!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ian , Absolutely perfect , a fitting tribute to all the people who risked their lives for others. I love it , its a brilliantly simple but stunning piece , 5 from me , cheers tony

R

rogue-one

wow, it's like graham said, it's a beautiful build! such a good idea. i had a similar idea for poppy day thing but i couldn't get round to it. your looks quality tho, the tone of bronzing and the marble base! beautiful! if i could vote more than 5 star, i well would!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Many thanks for the comments chaps.

This is one of the few models that I am quite proud of and it is infact now living in the display cabinet in our living room! My better half thought it was too good to hide away in the study!!!

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That should be done as a full size memorial somewhere! It creates a better 'picture' than most modern 'artists' do with their abstract rubbish. *****

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Andy, Dave.

It would look great 1:1 I must agree. I would still like to do the All nations version one day. Now that would carry a message.

Ian M

J

JFJ

Ian this is brilliant, like others said just like a bronze statue. And this is me 200th post!