Nimrod MR2 - Airfix 1/72

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Rick. You have lots of good gen there, experience with the real thing will benefit this build. Look forward to seeing the enhancements.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had another airbrushing session yesterday, I don't have a permanent set up so I do spraying in batches and is one of the reasons that I have more than one build on the go at a time. Anyway, I got my 60KVa coated in Tamiya NATO Green and then varnished ready for the decals from Kingfisher Models. I still need to pick out the smaller details like the handles and fire extinguisher.

I have also made progress on the base, this is just a cheap picture frame from Wilko's with a piece of concrete coloured mounting card to represent the bay's at RAF Kinloss. There will be a grass verge and some other airfield clutter nearby.

View attachment 90038

View attachment 90039

View attachment 90040

View attachment 90041

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My 60 KVa has had the red of the fire extinguisher and the reflectors painted and the fuel filler painted yellow with decals applied for the yellow stripes. The drawback with this 60 is that there are no decal sheets provided so I used the Kingfisher Models RAF yellow stripes which are okay, but all RAF GSE has a type code of unique letters and numbers for an individual piece of GSE from step ladders to power sets so I cannot replicate these.

The Kingfisher Models decal instructions say they are on clear backing paper but I found this to not be the case so they had to be trimmed right to the edge of the yellow.

Tyres are painted and ready to fit when dry.

View attachment 90660

View attachment 90661

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yet another marathon session of decal application for XV235 tonight and I've done as much as I and my eyes can stand with this. Most of them were done on the tail plane and MAD boom which were a bit of a pain and there aren't enough to replicate the static discharge strapping.

After a coat or two of varnish the aerials, landing gear and AAR probe can go on.

Nearly done.

View attachment 91183

View attachment 91184

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Now that all of the decals have been applied to XV235 my attention has turned to all those little bits and pieces that stick out and get broken off easily. The aerials are painted and the searchlight cupola has been masked for painting, something I should have done earlier. I need to figure out a way of modelling the searchlight though as the kit doesn't have one. I was thinking of using a sequin and a length of plastic rod.

I also got the main landing gears assembled ready for installation, I really need to master painting wheels, I will apply a wash to disguise my shortcomings here. What I can't disguise is the rather crude representation of the landing gear legs. I have an intimate knowledge of these as it was one of my regular tasks in AMF to run the landing gear tasks on these when Nimrods were in the hangar for Minor maintenance. The gears would be partially dismantled for inspections and NDT, a very dirty job.

View attachment 91566

View attachment 91568

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Rick is this a different build ?

I was sure this was beige not so long ago ! I feel like I'm losing it :D

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Rick is this a different build ?I was sure this was beige not so long ago ! I feel like I'm losing it :D
Same build Alan, just slow progress. There are dozens of decals to apply which took me about 3/4 nights over a week or two to complete so it probably seems that I could have done a second Nimrod in that time.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Same build Alan, just slow progress. There are dozens of decals to apply which took me about 3/4 nights over a week or two to complete so it probably seems that I could have done a second Nimrod in that time.
Oh right I know the decal sheet on this kit it does have a fare few

I'm waiting for you to finish yours to give me the mojo to start mine :D

Your doing a great job I must say :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Some progress on the base for XV235. I marked out the corner of the pan to give it a bit of context which will be covered with grass tufts, electrical cabinet, spill kit and the adjacent GPU/GSE park. I marked the concrete surface out lightly in pencil first then used a fine tipped felt pen freehand following the grid pattern to get that rough edge to the joins between the individual slabs, I didn't want dead straight and true lines.

View attachment 91597

View attachment 91598

Sizing up the Nimrod and GPU to the base, it's a BIG jet!

View attachment 91599

This little corner will be the grassy bit.

View attachment 91600

Marking out the yellow taxi line.

View attachment 91601

And the GPU/GSE park.

View attachment 91602

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
interesting and looking good rick, ;)

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Rick, nice work on the tarmac so far. It is a large aeroplane, and it's going to look great with the GPU ready for another North Atlantic patrol.