Nonusoutaboxus syndrome

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Anyone else suffer from this annoying syndromes, where no matter what you do you cannot but add something to a kit, no matter how small it is ? 

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Happily I've never suffered this illness of which you speak and mine are straight from the box without any enhancement whatsoever most of the time. The kits in themselves are expensive enough I feel. These aftermarket bits n bobs sometimes surpass the price of the kit  :ph34r:  I may on occasion scratch build a part or add something out the spare box :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I can't even add big pieces to a kit at the moment, takes for ever and a day to get the bleeding thing on!

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I can resist the urge to buy aftermarket generally, although I will happily add a little scratchbuilt detail or drill parts out like gun barrels and exhaust pipes.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm with John. I'm perfectly happy with the O.O.B. results, I have to be, as I refuse to pay the crazy prices for aftermarket stuff. However, sometimes I will allow myself to stick on things from my bit box ( accurate or not) and scratch build the bases. But for the most part what is in the box is what gets built....

To each his own, regarding the end result. As long as the builder is happy with his or her results then that's all that matters.......as long as the OOB builder's results are not considered somehow inferior to those who like to buy extras...... ;)

Tin hats on everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry, I presumed Steve meant buying extras...........Surely, drilling out exhaust pipes and gun barrels is still OOB.

....anyway I'm off a'modelling. 

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I do add extras sometimes but mostly scratch built bits rather than purchased items. As Ron says, drilling out pipes and barrels should count the same as removing flash and mould lines - part of the build process.

I know there are all sorts of competition rules defining what is, and what isn't considered to be OOB (If I took a piece of left over sprue from the box, then heated and stretched it to make an aerial, would that still count as OOB?) but I couldn't care less, If I think I can improve what I'm doing by adding bits, then that's what I'll do; whether they're scratched or bought.

I don't got a tin hat but I'll put my 2d in. I've read lots of stuff about model competitions and seen loads of arguments about judging kits based on aftermarket extras vs. OOB. Sure, the aftermarket bits will add detail and improve accuracy, but surely the modeller should be judged on his building skills rather than the thickness of his wallet.

G

GazB

I'll always try to get canopy masks - but that's about it for me.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
First Name
Paul
i generally avoid aftermarket stuff unless i pick it up at a show for not a lot.....but then i cant resist a bargain........i do like to scratch stuff when i can but im also happy to oob

J

John Huggins

Yep, I own up to this, suffer in a big way, trying to get treatment for it lol.

John 

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sure, the aftermarket bits will add detail and improve accuracy, but surely the modeller should be judged on his building skills rather than the thickness of his wallet.

Couldn't agree more, but unfortunately I suspect two models side by side one with after market tracks and one not, they would just look at that detail, not what the modeller with the kit tracks has managed to achieve (for example). The main bits I add are stowage and if something is so wrong it's just got to be corrected. 

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry, I presumed Steve meant buying extras...........Surely, drilling out exhaust pipes and gun barrels is still OOB.

....anyway I'm off a'modelling. 

Haha yep OOB. Anyway I have a 1/48 bag of nails to get back to, son purchased a revell hornet, has / had monogram 1992 moulded on the fuselage side !!!! Gaps as wide as the Grand Canyon under the wings. Need to go back to the Tamiya 38(t) and breath 

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well I think most of you know,I have this illness very badly,I  cannot resist the urge ,to add on,even thing of what before the box is opened, :D

some time after market,if I have the money,or scratch build,from tarps and camo netting,to other bits and bob,s, 9_9

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh lol,well yes it is meant to be bobs,not the other....... :/ :D