North American F-107C

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Beautiful progress! I plan on doing the prototype version as it was, but really digging your SEA scheme build.

I haven't used Hataka paints yet, but I've heard nothing but praises for their Orange (lacquer) line. I have also heard horror stories for one of their other lines but I am not sure wheter it is a blue or a red one. These days (well, five years or so :D) I use exclusively Mr.Paint lacquers and couldn't be happier.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Jakko, even if it is a weird looking beast.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is looking good Jakko. Glad the paint issues are sorted.
There are so many different makes of paint I'll stick to those which I know I can work with.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Jakko.

Sorry to hear of the problems you had.

ATB.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Beautiful progress! I plan on doing the prototype version as it was, but really digging your SEA scheme build.
I’m not fond of prototype schemes, so I felt like doing something different :smiling3:

I haven't used Hataka paints yet, but I've heard nothing but praises for their Orange (lacquer) line. I have also heard horror stories for one of their other lines but I am not sure wheter it is a blue or a red one. These days (well, five years or so :D) I use exclusively Mr.Paint lacquers and couldn't be happier.
I don’t like lacquers, really. I couldn’t get along with the Mr. Color ones, and though the one bottle of Mr. Paint I tried did work well, I prefer paint I can clean out of my airbrush without needing strong thinners :smiling3: What I would really like to see, are Tamiya and Mr. Aqueous Color acrylics but pre-thinned for airbrushing.

There are so many different makes of paint I'll stick to those which I know I can work with.
I like buying a bottle or two sometimes of brands I’ve never used, if they have a colour I need, to see what they’re like. Unfortunately, it (too?) often leads to irritation because of issues like these :sad:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Indeed a strange looking beast. I can't help thinking, that ejection seat will have to work just that bit harder / faster to clear the intakes.
As for your paint problems, its not the weather is it ? I'm using acrylics on a build and they are being less than helpful.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can't help thinking, that ejection seat will have to work just that bit harder / faster to clear the intakes.
Like I said before, I don’t think it will cause any major problems, given the acceleration of one of these seats and the short distance needed to clear the intake. The main issue, as far as I can tell from reading a little about the F-107, is that it couldn’t throw off the canopy before the seat launched, but that was solved by having the seat punch through it instead.

As for your paint problems, its not the weather is it ? I'm using acrylics on a build and they are being less than helpful.
I don’t think it was, the weather was pretty nice and not too warm last week. I’ve sprayed plenty of models in similar weather with no issues.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The finish line is finally coming into view …

25B35075-332B-40AB-91AF-F5CC04DB6A9A.jpeg1AC96C78-B29A-42B6-B1F0-8DD55CF7014E.jpeg

This is with the panel lines painted in with my normal concoction of household clear paint plus black pigment, painted into/onto the lines with a fine brush and then wiped away (always towards the rear of the plane) with a finger. This takes a long time, though. The vents on the top were carefully painted with black ink to achieve a depth effect.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very good Jakko. Excellent paintwork. Mind you, with the masking on, the air intake looks like the windshield, making the bird look very “Thunderbirds” in appearance.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve not seen much Thunderbirds but I’d say you’re right :smiling3: I’ve taken it off by now, though, it looks much more like a plane. It also surprised me how much is visible of the cockpit — this is one of those 1:72 scale kits that would actually benefit from detailling that area.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a fine paint job Jakko. Your panel line treatment is different but works well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s not actually a very good paint job up close, I’m afraid :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well it looks bloody good to me Jakko :smiling3:
VERY BLOODY GOOD in fact !!

First Name
Hong
Looking very good Jakko. Excellent paintwork. Mind you, with the masking on, the air intake looks like the windshield, making the bird look very “Thunderbirds” in appearance.
Yes, very "Thunderbirds" in appearance. And for a moment, I thought the plane was a F-16, being was photographed upside down.