North American P-51D Mustang Red Tail - Airfix 1/72

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent work Francesco , great cockpit ,looks like a really nice kit , cheers tony

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice. I think I'm going to steal daughter No.2's P51 off her.

Z

Ziper_it

\ said:
Nice progress Francesco, the panel work has come out very nicely.
Thanks Joe

Some progress done.

View attachment 73328

Still have to complete the propeller and, most important, find a way to protect the red: Matt over the red or gloss over the whole model?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384586684.965847.jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I don't know how i missed the start of this one Fancesco but just caught up and some very nice work it's looking very good

Z

Ziper_it

\ said:
I don't know how i missed the start of this one Fancesco but just caught up and some very nice work it's looking very good
Thanks mate.

So i have two doubts now:

- use matt transparent over red/yellow/green or gloss over the whole model?

- which color to use to desaturate the decals?

Francesco

Z

Ziper_it

Did put some matt transparent over the red, not bad but i'm thinking to give the final coat with a satin/semi-gloss.

Big stars where applied and desaturated with a light gray, the effect looks realistic.

I'm also not following the rules here, applying decals and marking panel lines with different shades of gray oils. I will wash with a dark mix of black and terra di siena bruciata. I may also redo the tail with a dark red.

View attachment 73394

Critiques are welcome as usual.

Ciao,

Francesco

I

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384683084.665805.jpg

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That is one gorgeous looking aircraft Francesco, well done mate.

I would be tempted to matt the whole plane, but saying that, a satin finish should work really well.

Si:smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

Thanks Si,

I'm too tempted to matt the whole model, but I have no idea what could be the final result.

I did spray the matt transparent on tail without masking and I'm not able to see a difference over the Alclad where the transparent landed.

We'll see.

Francesco

B

Bunkerbarge

I gave up with 1/72nd a while ago as my eyes and fingers can't cope with it!

Consequently I am blown away by this model and I am still convinced these are shots of a 1/48th kit!! The detail you are getting into this is superb and the different shades on the panelling looks perfect. Absolutely amazing job, you should be feeling very pleased with yourself. I apologize for missing your question regarding the color to tone down the transfers but when I read it I said to myself, "light grey"! Glad you worked it out for yourself.

If I was building it I would Matt the whole model but to make the most of those panel shades it might be worth considering masking one or two and doing them a satin over the top to enhance the difference.

First Name
Jason
Stunning job Francesco! Great work with the Alclad, I've always found it very tricky to use but you appear to have mastered it.

Jason

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That looks great I fact I would say it looks better than the ones in the film :smiling3:

Z

Ziper_it

Thank mates.

I can confirm you this is a photogenic model (i.e. better in photo than in reality), but is coming out nicely.

This afternoon I modified the tanks, completed the seat, glued the back canopy to its frame, post-processed the propeller, re-putted (is this correct?) and fixed few errors (all the others will remain)

The tanks:

View attachment 73470

The seat:

View attachment 73471

The propeller:

View attachment 73472

That's all for now.

Thank you for following and your nice comments.

Francesco

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384718077.918580.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384718095.293375.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384718491.034741.jpg

M

mobear

weld seam looks good,prop is magnificent and the seat is well worn,excellent work mate

mobear