Oil weathering

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
seeing as I'm in a bit of a rut at the moment and the mojo has decided to to go on a pilgrimage to happier places I've been messing about a bit and trying my hand at more oil paint weathering so I had a pop at the millenium falcon

I got this some months ago and just painted it to give it a bit of depth as it was a bit flat and looked a bit like a toy , so I decided to do a bit of weathering on it with oil paints

This is how it looked before I started View attachment 97133

and now what I have done View attachment 97134

View attachment 97135

View attachment 97136

View attachment 97137

View attachment 97139

View attachment 97140

View attachment 97138

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

P

Polux

The light on the photos seems to be different....

Anyway your weathering paintwork is visible, and this Millenium looks much better now, Alan.

Personally I think you have nailed it ;)

S

Stevekir

A logical point: space ships wander the Universe, right? Its a vacuum there, no dirt etc. I doubt there are external hydraulics to leak oil. So why do people weather spacecraft?

Just wondering.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I appreciate it :smiling3:

\ said:
A logical point: space ships wander the Universe, right? Its a vacuum there, no dirt etc. I doubt there are external hydraulics to leak oil. So why do people weather spacecraft?Just wondering.
Steve there is loads of dust in space and these spaceships from sci fi movies do spend a lot of time in atmosphere so there you can add it

And at the end of the day they look cooler :D

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
i real like it Alan,your playing around with the oil,weathering looks great, ;)

and has changed the whole look of it,not toy like at all, :smiling3:

see not all off your mojo,s gone off the sunnier place,s :rolleyes: ;)

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Looks great Alan did you make you own oil wash as I've considered making some myself and was wondering what ratios to use.I hope that mojo returns ASAP as I'm looking forward to that Battle of Britain dio you got planned with all those hurricanes ready for take off.So come on mate get your ass into gear and pull ya finger out its better around here when your posting your models ooooooo and those funny but sometimes terrible jokes ;) Regards John ...get to it soldier

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
i real like it Alan,your playing around with the oil,weathering looks great, ;) and has changed the whole look of it,not toy like at all, :smiling3:

see not all off your mojo,s gone off the sunnier place,s :rolleyes: ;)
Thanks moni , unfortunately ive been working on this for days if my mojo was working it would have taken me a couple of hours , it's so easy to do you can't get it wrong :smiling3:

\ said:
Looks great Alan did you make you own oil wash as I've considered making some myself and was wondering what ratios to use.I hope that mojo returns ASAP as I'm looking forward to that Battle of Britain dio you got planned with all those hurricanes ready for take off.So come on mate get your ass into gear and pull ya finger out its better around here when your posting your models ooooooo and those funny but sometimes terrible jokes ;) Regards John ...get to it soldier
cheers John it's nice of you to say that mate :smiling3: !

The ratio for the wash mix for me is trial and error :D I can't seem to repeat without going through the process every time ,

What do you meen 'Terrible Jokes!' :eek: Listen I don't have to come on here to be abused I can go anywhere lol:D

L

Laurie

Actually Steve is right in a lot of ways if I remember my school days learning of space. He did actually say dirt not dust a remarkable difference especially in space.

There is no dirt in space as we know it on earth. Neither is there dust as we know it on earth. What there is is cosmic dust which is so minute in most cases as to have to use a microscope to actually see it.

It is in fact more of a gas and has many fascinating and interesting properties than any of our man made dirt and dust on earth.

That does not detract from the production of a model the finish of which is in the eye of the beholder .

Laurie

L

Laurie

Actually I would correct, being pedantic, what I stated above. There is dirt in space and it has been deposited by us humans.

Also I would add that as there is no wind in space or friction oil coming from a space ship would be deposited in a totally different way to oil for instance coming from an aircraft on Earth.

Very interesting subject and perhaps one which could be adapted to models by the intergalactic types among us.

Laurie

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Actually I would correct, being pedantic, what I stated above. There is dirt in space and it has been deposited by us humans.Also I would add that as there is no wind in space or friction oil coming from a space ship would be deposited in a totally different way to oil for instance coming from an aircraft on Earth.

Very interesting subject and perhaps one which could be adapted to models by the intergalactic types among us.

Laurie
I can imagine a letter to NASA and to the European Space Station asking how they keep their windows clean!

D

dougie

The falcon passes though planetary atmospheres a lot so it can get away with those oil stains. It also gets shot at a lot and was in the belly of a space worm of sorts! Also the director specified all the equipment for the films looked well worn and run down/ repaired.

Looks great and brings back childhood memories of the toys and films. I am very lucky nite I get to watch the films on a 100" projector screen with a 12" sub. So good haha

D

dubster72

\ said:
Actually I would correct, being pedantic, what I stated above. There is dirt in space and it has been deposited by us humans.
Also I would add that as there is no wind in space or friction oil coming from a space ship would be deposited in a totally different way to oil for instance coming from an aircraft on Earth.

Laurie
Dirt is just particles of matter & there's plenty of that in space, including dust. Oil spills (or other fluid) would float as globules to be deposited on any passing object.

And haven't you heard of Solar Wind Laurie?!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thing is you have ask what is a comets tail made up of ? What is the rings of Saturn made up of ?

Nebula are just huge clouds of dust

First Name
Dave
\ said:
A logical point: space ships wander the Universe, right? Its a vacuum there, no dirt etc. I doubt there are external hydraulics to leak oil. So why do people weather spacecraft?
Just wondering.
Surely there is dust and debris floating about in space?.What happens to all the bits when asteroids collide with planets and each other?.Or does that only happen in movies?!.The rings around Saturn are said to contain particles of rock (and ice) ranging in size from less than 1cm up to a metre.There must be more floating about the universe surely?.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well there is an awful amount of 'debris' out there. much of it man made, if you know what I mean.... o.O NASA started to bring it home ISS burn it and release the ash into space...Or so I have read.

Dirt muck and grime... probably. the one I get lost on it those big fire ball explosions....remember the fire triangle. Fuel+air+heat= fire. remove any one and the fire can not exist.

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
The falcon passes though planetary atmospheres a lot so it can get away with those oil stains. It also gets shot at a lot and was in the belly of a space worm of sorts! Also the director specified all the equipment for the films looked well worn and run down/ repaired.......
I'm glad that I am not the only one to invent complex histories for a model. My Rolls Royce Phantom II 1934 was owned by an old lady and driven by her chauffeur to deliver calf's foot jelly and warm muffs to her estate tenants at Christmas. In the Summer she would be driven on picnics with a friend, hence the basket in the boot, and also.... (It could go on.)

L

Laurie

\ said:
Dirt is just particles of matter & there's plenty of that in space, including dust. Oil spills (or other fluid) would float as globules to be deposited on any passing object.
And haven't you heard of Solar Wind Laurie?!
Well I am not an expert on this stuff Patrick. But what I have read is that there are particles around mostly cosmic dust. But not dirt or oil as we know it on earth except for that very very minute amount (measured against the size of the universe) which has been left in space by human activity.

Solar winds are not the winds we have on earth or within the boundaries of other planets. They are also according to experts almost impossible to measure. These Solar winds (from what I have read) will not buffet a person in space they are not going to wrinkle your hair. I suppose if they did then human space ships and humans out on a mission from the space vehicle would be blown to smitherines. Seems that calling them winds was an unfortunate way to title them.

This is what the BBC experts say. Very interesting as these so called Solar Winds, which are electrons and protons, can destroy planets by denuding the magnetism surrounding the planet..

The solar wind is a stream of plasma released from the upper atmosphere of the Sun. It consists of mostly electrons and protons with energies usually between 1.5 and 10 keV. The stream of particles varies in density, temperature, and speed over time and over solar longitude. These particles can escape the Sun's gravity because of their high energy, from the high temperature of the corona and magnetic, electrical and electromagnetic phenomena in it.

The solar wind flows outward supersonically to great distances, filling a region known as the heliosphere, an enormous bubble-like volume surrounded by the interstellar medium. Other related phenomena include the aurora (northern and southern lights), the plasma tails of comets that always point away from the Sun, and geomagnetic storms that can change the direction of magnetic field lines and create strong currents in power grids on Earth.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
To put an end to this little debate I found a couple of sites that explain it better

http://herschel.cf.ac.uk/science/infrared/dust

In this one read the bottom paragraph

http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/the-dangers-of-space-travel.html

I hope this settles the debate :D