ok what am i doing wrong?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm in the middle of painting my Hs129 B2 and i've put an overall top surface colour of RLM 71 on with Xtracrylix paint which was left for well over 24 hours to 'cure'. I have not put a primer coat on as i never have done with 'normal' colours. I only use a primer for red, yellow and white paints.

I started to mask off for the RLM 70 splinter camo to be painted over it and whilst placing the tape it has removed some of the RLM 71. Now i always de-stick the tape by placing it on my hand/fingers before hand to try and make it not as sticky.

As far as i know the model wasn't greasy before i painted originally so what else am i missing to try and stop this?

R

Richy C

Hi Al , sounds like release agent on the plastic , I always wash any new models on the sprues with warm soapy water with an old toothbrush and then prime , everyone does things different but I find this prep work works fine for me

Richy

F

Fenlander

Sadly, I have to agree with Richy, it does sound like the paint has not been able to key to the plastic as well as it might. This could be down to release agent or even condensation on the surface of the plastic when spraying. Although I rarely wash the kit parts anymore before building, it can be false time saving. However, I do always prime. Not only to get a feel for how the paint is taking to the plastic but also to get a better idea as to how the seams ill look with paint on. Any issues are a lot easier to sort out at the priming time than at the colouring.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you are not washing the plastic and not priming it could be something as simple as a finger print. Even if you DO wash and prime, a fingerprint or smudge or any other handling could transfer just enough oil from your fingers to prevent the paint from getting a good 'grip'.

I have been hit buy the same problem and now days I tend to either put a latex glove on (important to get the ones with out powder) or give the kit a quick swab down with thinner on bare plastic or turps on an undercoat, just to get rid of any handling marks.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Allyne sorry to hear you hit such a snag, I clean all mine with denatured alcohol and then give it a light scuff with a grey scotch-brite pad before painting. I hope you get it sorted it is looking so good!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As above, I give the plastic a wipe with alcohol. I do prime for acrylics but that surely is a matter of preference.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I always wash my model sprues and parts with warm soapy water, just in case, but condensation can also catch us out, especially if we take our models into another environment of a different temperature to spray it. Another possibility is the paint itself.

I have never seen the reason for primer in most situations, excpet for things like a car body or bike bodywork, as it is usually not necessary and it will always take the edge off the sharpness of the detail. If the plastic is prepared and the paint is OK the adhesion should be fine and masking tape shouldn't be a problem as long as it is a low tac type.

Knowing your level of expertise I think you might have been caught out by something unusual such as condensation, the paint quality or perhaps the masking tape was too sticky.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers for the replies guys. i've a feeling it's a greasy finger print. The two places where the paint has lifted just happen to be where i held it. I have some nitrile gloves so shall use them from now on. Alsomight scuff the surface a little as it is very smooth on certain parts.

Cheers again guys

B

Bunkerbarge

Use some 2000 grit wet and dry while you are washing the parts in warm water, that should break the shiny surface.