One of THOSE days....

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
I'm sure everyone has had at least one of these, ranging from mildly irritated ,
to full blown WTF days!
Doing my 1/32 Revell Spitfire, (ok not the most expensive!), but really put a lot of effort into this one. So many days spent filling and sanding, repeating, to get it to possibly my best actual build yet. Coats of primer and paint, giving days in between to cure to avoid any peeling while masking, you get the picture.....
Bottom completed and glossed and as I finish my 3rd and final superfine coat of gray on top, the old butterfingers dropped it as I twisted to try and get the back end of the fuselage under the rear stabilisers! But my almost cat-like reflexes, (seen dead cats move quicker) kicked in and I actually caught it before the crash-landing, grabbing the freshly painted wing, scraping layers of paint away with my nails and leaving fingerprints all over the fuselage...
Resisting the urge to instantly smash my Spit to pieces, I calmly placed it on my work table, cleaned up my stuff and left the loft.
2 days later I've still not went up as I don't even know if I want to strip it all back and repaint or just leave it in the "I'll get back to it" corner and move on.
Ooooooh sometimes I hate this hobby!
Tell your hard luck stories and make me feel slightly better!

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
So sorry to hear that Ritchie, and the best I can come up with, I stubbed my toe.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ritchie well ive not had just bad days but months of things goin wrong on my tiger but the stubbon streak in me keeps makin me go back to tiger for more an hopefully im now on a winnig streak so you not the only one havin a bad time of this modeling lark as ive sometime fanatised about jumpin on tiger to get that big chip off my shoulder that i get when thing go wrong so chin up mate an get back to that spitty
chrisb

Last edited:

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
HI Ritchie well ive not had just bad days but months of things goin wrong on my tiger but the stubbon streak in me keeps makin me go back to tiger for more an hopefully im now on a winnig streak so you not the only one havin a bad time of this modeling lark as ive sometime fanatised about jumpin on tiger to get that big chip off my shoulder that i get when thing go wrong so chin up mate an get back to that spitty
chrisb
chrisb

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hard luck stories about modelling? I think I mentioned it before here, but once, I had built a Tamiya PBR (the second one shown in that thread). At the time, I did my spraying in the shed, and after I had given this one a nice coat of olive green, I stepped outside to get the model back up to my modelling room, with the boat in my hand — it’s easy to hold like that due to the hull shape. At this point, for a reason I don’t know (or remember, possibly), it slipped and landed upside-down on the paving slabs :sad: Luckily, it only broke the mast, but I was not happy …

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Hard luck stories about modelling? I think I mentioned it before here, but once, I had built a Tamiya PBR (the second one shown in that thread). At the time, I did my spraying in the shed, and after I had given this one a nice coat of olive green, I stepped outside to get the model back up to my modelling room, with the boat in my hand — it’s easy to hold like that due to the hull shape. At this point, for a reason I don’t know (or remember, possibly), it slipped and landed upside-down on the paving slabs :sad: Luckily, it only broke the mast, but I was not happy …
Lol, onto slabs and only broke a mast?!?!? Can you send me your lotto picks for this week plz......

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN stil on them bad days never forget the time when i had some super glue flick into my eye an BOY did that hurt but i was quick thinkin an splashed water into my eye then it was an eveing in hos till i got it looked at AN i was lucky as the nurse said a few more mm to the left onto the transparnt bit of my eye an i would have been blinded an i now wear safty glasses when useing that stuff so all you guys take note an wear eye protection when usein C/A
CHRISB

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Must be something about Spitfires....
This'll cheer you up!!
Last year I did a 1/48th Spitfire for the GB, spent AGES making it the best I possibly could,got it "finished", sprayed the final coat of satin varnish and toddled off to bed.Next morning I charged into the room to admire the finished article,to be greeted by this......
IMG20220724170558.jpg
:flushed::dizzy::astonished:.... GUTTED is an understatement, absolutely no idea what happened and it nearly went in the bin!
BUT,after a think,I decided that after all of the effort I'd put in,I ought to see it through,so,rubbed it down,re primered,re painted,and,new decals added,I ended up with this....
IMG20220805151143.jpg
Not the best in the world,but I'm more than happy with it :smiling3:
...... so, DON'T BIN YOURS... just breathe into it,and I bet it'll come out even better the 2nd time around ;)

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Another Spitfire incident for me too lol

After primer, a silver chipping coat, and freehand camo I splashed a blob of thinner from my airbrush cup, which ate through it all :surprised:

The subsequent posts show the fix.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Best one for me...so far. Built painted and decaled matt coat and weathered a Spitfire then saw on removing the canopy masks that the cockpit was absent. Still on the bench all painted and ready to go in befor I joined the fuslage halves!

If real life counts I also resprayed the tank on my MC many years ago and as I walked past I kicked the sawhorse it was on and knocked it over. Into the dirt. last time i painted in the garden I recall as well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Lol, onto slabs and only broke a mast?!?!?
That surprised me too, but I suppose it’s because the roof on the PBR model is a fairly strong part, and since it landed full on the mast, that must have absorbed a lot of the impact.

Can you send me your lotto picks for this week plz......
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

I don’t play the lotto, and never have, but if I did, that’s the numbers I’d use :smiling3:

Jostro65

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ritchie
Another Spitfire incident for me too lol

After primer, a silver chipping coat, and freehand camo I splashed a blob of thinner from my airbrush cup, which ate through it all :surprised:

The subsequent posts show the fix.

Mine really doesnt look so bad when I see this!