P 35a Seversky Fighter

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Guys and Gals,

Ok, I have to go to work today, but I wanted to get another "quickie model" in before I left. Todays model took about 2 hours to build start to finish and is Academy's 1:48th scale model of the P 35A SEVERSKY FIGHTER.

This aircraft was a by product of the Seversky Racer and a predecessor of the P47 Thunderbolt.

Anyway, here she sits on my driveway:

Since this aircraft served both"pre WWII" and during the war, I chose to use the coloring of the U.S.A.A.C. (UNITED STATES ARMY AIR CORPS).

Have a good day,

Greg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Greg,yet another masterpiece from your agile hands,she looks splendid,this airplane has always appealed to me in the past ever since my father gave me a plans book with a crumpled drawing of this type,the colours look very appealing,I would be interested to know which brand of yellow you used on your model ?

A

alan2525

Still not sure how you manage to complete models so fast!

The Latest edition to your collection looks great!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Alan,he must hold the world record for assembly/painting time ? the models defy how long they took to build being so neat and well finished,it would take me that long to get the shrink wrap off the box.

\ said:
Still not sure how you manage to complete models so fast! The Latest edition to your collection looks great!

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Barry and Alan,

Thanks for the kind words about my work, but I have to admit that all of my builds do have some aspects about them that I am never satisfied with. I guess what they say about "You are your own worst critic" is true.

That being said though, the finish products are only part of the relaxing experience of model building. I know that I do complete mine in "short order" but the time I spend building, painting and photographing them is in itself...relaxing ie...the other part of the experience.

As to how I am able to complete them as quickly as I do..... all I can say is that it must be because I have been building since I was very little. To give you some idea of how little, while speaking to my parents the otherday, after they stopped by unannounced and saw me photographing the XP-56 Black Bullet model (see earlier thread), My mother informed me that she could remember me "throwing a fit" the day before my fifth (5th) Birthday for a model airplane.

Well apparently it worked according to her because she said she has a photograph somewhere of me holding the finished plane. And so thats how and when my hobby started. That was 37 yrs ago and with the exception of a few years right after my divorce, I have been building ever since.

Now, as for the Brand of paints I use...... The yellow was "Sun Yellow" by Krylon and came in a standard size spray can, the "silver" on this aircraft was made by "plasti cote" paints and comes in a very small can, both cans combined cost me less than $4 (US) and I have enough left to paint many many more models.

My collection of spray paints are extensive ranging from tamiya and testors to "national brands" such as Krylon and rustoleum to more inexpensive (yet of good quality) Wal marts finest lol. I have never thought to count my paints but just guessing, I would say I probably have close to 50 different colors by various manufacturers....this does not include my bottled paints of which I am sure I have well over 100 of these.

And lastly, the history of this aircraft......I was unaware myself of this aircraft being the predecessor of the P47 Thunderbolt until I purchased this model. I had seen this model many times and always "passed it up" in favor of a more "glitzy" aircraft of some sort (ok, glitzy may be a bad word since alot of my models are what I consider to be "oddball" and seldom seen topics). But to me, before I purchased this model, I thought this was just some little known aircraft. I had no Idea of its history.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough, again, thanks for your comments guys, they are much appreciated.

have a good day,

Greg